iPhone 4S/Galaxy Nexus challenge

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just unboxed the Fedex'ed iphone 5 Black 32GB this morning, its a perfect little piece of hardware. Still too small for my taste, but it will make a nice replacement for the kids i4. Looking forward to switching her over and checking out LTE tonight(i4 16GB sold at $225). The i5 looks quite odd, being longer makes it appear skinny. Its as if Apple said "OK" "You want a bigger screen? We will give our version"! ....Apple your version is odd! :p For me then, its another 2 year wait for a bigger screen. In 2 years ios will be even further behind. Still no Widgets or Live wall paper. I wonder if it makes sense to build a Leica quality device, if your only going to keep it 2 years. Hope they spend a lot more time advancing ios.

Come on already with some new LTE Nexus news! I can't wait! :)

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I hear you on the widgets. I have really gotten into filling my home pages with useful widgets. Makes things a lot neater. I do feel as though the new iPhone 5 is behind my Galaxy Nexus in a way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I hear you on the widgets. I have really gotten into filling my home pages with useful widgets. Makes things a lot neater. I do feel as though the new iPhone 5 is behind my Galaxy Nexus in a way.

For sure, still no quick settings for Wifi and BT in ios 6. Can it really be that hard? Do the people at Apple not use BT every single day? I see they did move BT out of the Generals tab, thats one less click. They should just stick in notification's. That single ritual annoyed me every day for three years.

Then with the GN...Yup there's a Widget for that:D

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe I'm on my third week with the GNex and I have no intention if giving it up. Really don't miss the iPhone 4S at all. Already sold it on eBay. I am really surprised how content I am with this device. I really haven't had any issues with it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried using my g/f's iPhone 5 for a few days. Quite honestly, I hated it.

I love the size of the phone as well as the build quality. But, that is about where it ends.

I felt trapped with the OS. First and foremost, the Google Voice app for it stinks! Most of the time it wouldn't place calls using my GV number. It also didn't notify me the majority of the time when text messages were sent to my GV number.

I didn't like not being able to to customize the ring tones for my contacts as well as my contacts text messages. I also hated not being able to at least hide the icons for the apps.

Those are just a few things that come to mind.

The one thing that Apple definitely has over Google and Android is being able to update the OS without the ridiculous delays created by the phone companies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried using my g/f's iPhone 5 for a few days. Quite honestly, I hated it.

I love the size of the phone as well as the build quality. But, that is about where it ends.

I felt trapped with the OS. First and foremost, the Google Voice app for it stinks! Most of the time it wouldn't place calls using my GV number. It also didn't notify me the majority of the time when text messages were sent to my GV number.

I didn't like not being able to to customize the ring tones for my contacts as well as my contacts text messages. I also hated not being able to at least hide the icons for the apps.

Those are just a few things that come to mind.

The one thing that Apple definitely has over Google and Android is being able to update the OS without the ridiculous delays created by the phone companies.

I do like that Apple updates their phones all at the same time but the Jelly Bean update wasn't a disaster. I had to wait just a couple of days for the update.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I do like that Apple updates their phones all at the same time but the Jelly Bean update wasn't a disaster. I had to wait just a couple of days for the update.

I loved how they offered it if you downloaded via wifi.

djluis48

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, you are using a Nexus device, while what you said its true for you, it isn't for almost any other Android smartphone out there. Update process is horrible on Android. And that's if your device its going to be updated, which in most cases, are not. My Motorola Atrix 4G just got stuck on GB forever, and mind you, this phone was a flagship device last year, and see what it happened to it. Don't even imagine what happens to more obscure devices.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, you are using a Nexus device, while what you said its true for you, it isn't for almost any other Android smartphone out there. Update process is horrible on Android. And that's if your device its going to be updated, which in most cases, are not. My Motorola Atrix 4G just got stuck on GB forever, and mind you, this phone was a flagship device last year, and see what it happened to it. Don't even imagine what happens to more obscure devices.

Eh...

I understand the frustration waiting for updates on non-Nexus Android devices (I've been there), but at the same time people give Apple a pass on their equally s#!**y update policy.

Yeah, Apple updates all their phones at the same time, but they don't all get the same update. Apple dumbs down the update for older models, and there have been several times where an update made the user experience WORSE on an older iPhone (the iPhone 3G update to iOS 4 immediately comes to mind). I respect Android manufacturers for saying, "This device has a good user experience on its current version of Android, and it can't run the newer version without messing up the user experience, so we won't update it." Not all hardware can run all OS's.

Now I'm not trying to give Android update process a pass. I'm just saying that both OS's have issues with updates.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Eh...

I understand the frustration waiting for updates on non-Nexus Android devices (I've been there), but at the same time people give Apple a pass on their equally s#!**y update policy.

Yeah, Apple updates all their phones at the same time, but they don't all get the same update. Apple dumbs down the update for older models, and there have been several times where an update made the user experience WORSE on an older iPhone (the iPhone 3G update to iOS 4 immediately comes to mind). I respect Android manufacturers for saying, "This device has a good user experience on its current version of Android, and it can't run the newer version without messing up the user experience, so we won't update it." Not all hardware can run all OS's.

Now I'm not trying to give Android update process a pass. I'm just saying that both OS's have issues with updates.

The various manufacturers that use the Android OS pick and choose which phones they will update to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The various manufacturers that use the Android OS pick and choose which phones they will update to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, sometimes it's technical issues that prevent an update, and sometimes it's business decisions. Building, testing, and pushing updates costs money. Can you blame them? Personally I take that into account when I select a phone. A popular phone with wide distribution is much more likely to get updated than a one-off that doesn't sell well.

zylad

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

That's why using Nexus seems to be a good deal.. :)

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This has been a very good thread to read. I have been with Verizon for many, many years. My wife and I still enjoy unlimited data. She is currently using her white Fascinate (soon to be replaced) and I have bounced among many phones. Recently I gave up my Rezound in favor of an iPhone 4. I loved the Rezound but Verizon ignored it and it kept having problems with LTE connections. After the fourth one was sent, I traded it for the iPhone.

Around here Verizon's 3G sucks so I was soooo ready to go back to LTE. However, none of Verizon's current phones interested me. So when the iPhone 5 was announced, I preordered one. Got a nice black 64gb and using it on my unlimited plan (used another phone line upgrade to get it...). I have been disappointed in the speed and connection of the iPhone on LTE. The speeds are way down compared to what they were on the Rezound. Not sure if it is the system or phone.

I have been thinking of dropping Verizon for AT&T. Or more accurately, gsm. Prepaid. I have been thinking of getting the Nexus and use a straight talk sim. Test the gsm waters around here. Maybe even try t mobile. I would keep my Five on Verizon for time being. Basically carry two phones to play and see.

Reading the original post and his follow ups has got me even more intrigued about that Nexus. Keep the thread going please! It is a very non biased, informative resource!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This has been a very good thread to read. I have been with Verizon for many, many years. My wife and I still enjoy unlimited data. She is currently using her white Fascinate (soon to be replaced) and I have bounced among many phones. Recently I gave up my Rezound in favor of an iPhone 4. I loved the Rezound but Verizon ignored it and it kept having problems with LTE connections. After the fourth one was sent, I traded it for the iPhone.

Around here Verizon's 3G sucks so I was soooo ready to go back to LTE. However, none of Verizon's current phones interested me. So when the iPhone 5 was announced, I preordered one. Got a nice black 64gb and using it on my unlimited plan (used another phone line upgrade to get it...). I have been disappointed in the speed and connection of the iPhone on LTE. The speeds are way down compared to what they were on the Rezound. Not sure if it is the system or phone.

I have been thinking of dropping Verizon for AT&T. Or more accurately, gsm. Prepaid. I have been thinking of getting the Nexus and use a straight talk sim. Test the gsm waters around here. Maybe even try t mobile. I would keep my Five on Verizon for time being. Basically carry two phones to play and see.

Reading the original post and his follow ups has got me even more intrigued about that Nexus. Keep the thread going please! It is a very non biased, informative resource!

I think that VZW maybe having some challenges with their network because of the added demand on them by the new iPhone 5 users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm glad you are enjoying the thread. A friend of mine and his wife just got Galaxy S III phones and they asked me to help them get acquainted. First I must say that they are sweet devices. Just explaining to them all the features the phone had go me excited. I still prefer my Nexus though. There seemed to be a lot of clutter on the Galaxy S III. My Nexus seems very clean in comparison. The carrier bloatware is concerning. But still a really compelling device. Then I looked at my wife's 4S and it just looked small. Nothing else wring with it other than it seemed tiny. I'm not saying that I would never go back to an iPhone but it would have to get significantly bigger for me to do so.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you are enjoying the thread. A friend of mine and his wife just got Galaxy S III phones and they asked me to help them get acquainted. First I must say that they are sweet devices. Just explaining to them all the features the phone had go me excited. I still prefer my Nexus though. There seemed to be a lot of clutter on the Galaxy S III. My Nexus seems very clean in comparison. The carrier bloatware is concerning. But still a really compelling device. Then I looked at my wife's 4S and it just looked small. Nothing else wring with it other than it seemed tiny. I'm not saying that I would never go back to an iPhone but it would have to get significantly bigger for me to do so.

I think once the GS3 gets jellybean it will become the device it was truly meant to be. But I agree I hate all the clutter and junk on these phones out of the box. It is such a deterrent to new customers and contributes to the complaints about how confusing android is. I always tell folks to remove everything on the screens, get a new launcher and start from there.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think once the GS3 gets jellybean it will become the device it was truly meant to be. But I agree I hate all the clutter and junk on these phones out of the box. It is such a deterrent to new customers and contributes to the complaints about how confusing android is. I always tell folks to remove everything on the screens, get a new launcher and start from there.

I do own and use an S3. There are two downsides to it that will not change. The first is touch wiz. You will never get a true Android experience like you can on the Nexus. The second is simply not knowing when Samsung and the carriers will allow them to be upgraded to JB.

It is a very nice phone. It also gets better life than the Nexus.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I do own and use an S3. There are two downsides to it that will not change. The first is touch wiz. You will never get a true Android experience like you can on the Nexus. The second is simply not knowing when Samsung and the carriers will allow them to be upgraded to JB.

If you root and ROM your GS3 you can get the pure android experience. I bet there are JB roms available already, i haven't checked. I know that's an annoying response for some, but it is an option unless the reason not to root and ROM is work related. And JB makes a huge difference in user experience IMO. I've been running it on my gnex since it dropped in the summer and love it. So much better than even ICS to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

It is a very nice phone. It also gets better life than the Nexus.

You can download Nova Launcher, which is a great launcher that looks exactly like stock Android, only it's much better because it has lots more customizability. I even use it on my Nexus 7! You should try it to avoid TouchWiz, if you haven't already :) And no, this isn't a spam ad, I just love the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I could root and have done that in the past.

But, the bottom line is these are things that should be standard on the device.

I will say this though... In my opinion nothing compares to the pure Google Android experience.