How to turn off software update and microsoft apps update on Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016)?

WillTraveler

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,
Could you please help me with the following questions:
- How can I turn off the software update? I can't see an option for that in the Settings > Software update section. This little notification (see the attached pictures) comes up every time I turn on the WiFi and this time it wants to download a 900MB+ update. Then there's no option to hide the little notification other than to turn off the WiFi and to try to install the update (which fails because there's no internet connection - but it hides the notification until I turn the WiFi on again)
- How Can I trun off the Microsoft apps updates? I only installed Word but when the WiFi is on, it wants to update/install the others too such *** Excel, OneNote, Skype and so on but I don't need those, so everytime I have to turn off the update/install manually.

Attached pictures:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-27-22-34-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-27-22-34-58.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2016-08-27-22-35-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-27-22-35-07.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most phones don't give you the option to turn off system update notifications (although if the option is available, it should be in the Settings>About Phone>System Updates menu). You might be able to disable the actual system update service by going to the App Manager and looking for a system app along those lines, then seeing if there's a Disable button associated with it. But in general, I recommend against ignoring system updates (unless you have definite evidence that the update is problematic). Besides the benefit of upgrading the Android version, there are also important security patches.

The Microsoft apps are probably updating through the Galaxy Apps Store, so open the latter and look for the option to turn off automatic app updates.

SamsungA52016

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Am having the exact same problem myself. I had rejected downloading the update 2 times, but it sneaked in while I was sleeping. Quite frustrating, as I have tested on another phone (stil A5 2016) the same update (976mb). It makes the phone SIGNIFICANTLY slower.

You have been warned about the update.

Now on topic. How I can get this notification removed, and where to find and delete the files downloaded? I mean I certainly don't want to waste 1GB of storage for an update I will NEVER make.

Can anyone help please.

WillTraveler

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Most phones don't give you the option to turn off system update notifications (although if the option is available, it should be in the Settings>About Phone>System Updates menu). You might be able to disable the actual system update service by going to the App Manager and looking for a system app along those lines, then seeing if there's a Disable button associated with it. But in general, I recommend against ignoring system updates (unless you have definite evidence that the update is problematic). Besides the benefit of upgrading the Android version, there are also important security patches.

The Microsoft apps are probably updating through the Galaxy Apps Store, so open the latter and look for the option to turn off automatic app updates.
Thanks for the fast reply! ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It makes the phone SIGNIFICANTLY slower.

Welcome to Android Central! Try wiping the cache partition, which can be helpful to do after a major system update. Follow the steps in this video, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. When complete, then select Reboot System Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8Ru7wcpiU