My Samsung Galaxy Core Prime won't turn on all the way, what can I do?

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Last night, my phone had died, so I put it on the charger before I went to bed. Today, when I try to turn it on, it boots up, but it stays on the red Verizon screen and the LED flashes when I do. It stays like that; it never fully boots up. I've popped the battery, left it out for a while, made sure my phone was fully charged. I've tried to reboot it from recovery mode, and that didn't work either. I don't know what to do.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Last night, my phone had died, so I put it on the charger before I went to bed. Today, when I try to turn it on, it boots up, but it stays on the red Verizon screen and the LED flashes when I do. It stays like that; it never fully boots up. I've popped the battery, left it out for a while, made sure my phone was fully charged. I've tried to reboot it from recovery mode, and that didn't work either. I don't know what to do.

Okay, next time you go to turn it on, press and hold the power down button for a second before you press the power button, then while holding the volume down button, press the power button. If that brings you to the same screen, instead of turning the phone off by removing the battery, press and hold the volume button, then while holding that, hold the power button until it turns off. When it turns off, don't let go of the volume button, but release the power button then press and hold it again. You should boot into the fastboot menu.

I hope those directions made sense. In that menu, there should be an option to factory reset the device. That might be what you have to do. Try restarting it using this menu before you wipe the device, just to see if we can save it!

Did you notice the phone was hot? Did anything weird happen before it just shut down?

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
No, the phone wasn't hot or anything when it shut down. The only thing that was a little off was that my LED was still flashing for a little while after it shut off, but that's happened before, and it came on after I charged it just fine. I don't know what happened this time.

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Okay, next time you go to turn it on, press and hold the power down button for a second before you press the power button, then while holding the volume down button, press the power button. If that brings you to the same screen, instead of turning the phone off by removing the battery, press and hold the volume button, then while holding that, hold the power button until it turns off. When it turns off, don't let go of the volume button, but release the power button then press and hold it again. You should boot into the fastboot menu.

I hope those directions made sense. In that menu, there should be an option to factory reset the device. That might be what you have to do. Try restarting it using this menu before you wipe the device, just to see if we can save it!

Did you notice the phone was hot? Did anything weird happen before it just shut down?

No, the phone wasn't hot or anything when it shut down. The only thing that was a little off was that my LED was still flashing for a little while after it shut off, but that's happened a few times before, and it came on after I charged it just fine. I don't know what happened this time. About an hour ago, I left the phone on the Verizon screen for a long time until it eventually died. Knowing this, I tried to turn on the phone to see if it would tell me that I needed to plug it in. I did, and when it "turned on" again, it stopped at the verizon screen yet again. Side note: while typing this, I was screwing around with my phone just to see what it would do if i pressed various buttons while shut down; when I press the power button, the LED flashes...THAT'S definitely never happened before.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
No, the phone wasn't hot or anything when it shut down. The only thing that was a little off was that my LED was still flashing for a little while after it shut off, but that's happened a few times before, and it came on after I charged it just fine. I don't know what happened this time. About an hour ago, I left the phone on the Verizon screen for a long time until it eventually died. Knowing this, I tried to turn on the phone to see if it would tell me that I needed to plug it in. I did, and when it "turned on" again, it stopped at the verizon screen yet again. Side note: while typing this, I was screwing around with my phone just to see what it would do if i pressed various buttons while shut down; when I press the power button, the LED flashes...THAT'S definitely never happened before.

Did you try the power button + volume down to reboot the device?

Also, another weird suggestion, but try tossing it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Not too long so you'd freeze something, but long enough for everything to get cold and contract a little.

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Did you try the power button + volume down to reboot the device?

Also, another weird suggestion, but try tossing it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Not too long so you'd freeze something, but long enough for everything to get cold and contract a little.

The Volume Down + Power button doesnt do anything for me; though the Volume Up+Home+Power brings me to the system recovery menu, and I've rebooted it from there with no luck (I'm assuming that different phones=different access buttons). I'll try the freezer idea next. My cousin-in-law said that she and my cousin are gonna try to come over and see if they can fix it, too.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The Volume Down + Power button doesnt do anything for me; though the Volume Up+Home+Power brings me to the system recovery menu, and I've rebooted it from there with no luck (I'm assuming that different phones=different access buttons). I'll try the freezer idea next. My cousin-in-law said that she and my cousin are gonna try to come over and see if they can fix it, too.

Can you factory reset from that menu?