Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 - Wife in love with this Monster, but should she get it now?

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay, and now for the latest in the "How about the Mega?" Threads.

Our contract is coming due here soon, and I realize the Mega is a 6-month old device. I also realize the 5.7" G Note 3 is the standard bearer of Monster Phones, and is universally praised. My wife has the Note 1, and she just loves big screens.

And there in lies the rub. She is all about SIZE.

(Insert joke here. Go ahead, I'll wait.)

She keeps coming back to the Mega. It is the 6.3" screen, and very little else. She has played with the Note 3, and she STILL keeps coming back to the Mega. So, as keeping the Wife happy is the aim,I will ask current owners:

1) She wants a good-great camera. Most reviews gave the Mega only so-so nods to the camera. Especially compared to todays offerings, how does the Mega hold up?

2) How does the performance hold up? Any lag/stuttering occuring over the life of your ownership?

3) I am not losing sleep over major updates, I am a firm believer in accepting the phone for as it is or not buying it. But, support also means refinement and firmware updates. Has Samsung been supportive of the Mega?

4) Could you still recommend the Mega to phone buyers right now, even in light of the latest wave of devices?

She is not a gamer, basically just cruises the internet, uses a Credit Card reader for her business sales, and does not need "top end" hardware. I want her to have it, but she doesn't need it. I want my wife to be happy, and want to give her what she wants. I am just having problems telling my woman- Go ahead, get the 2-core, 6 month old phone with less RAM.

Thoughts?

Paul Bridgeman

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
If you are considering this phone for the screen size then you are bang on.
But remember there's no pen or software that comes with it like the Note 1or 2.
You would be best with the largest memory available to you.
Lag isn't bad at all, and videos are good on the bigger screen.

Posted via HTC One

roscoe1972

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Two week owner of the Mega on Sprint. I am coming from the S3 and am completely satisfied with the switch. I love the LCD screen with it's brightness and color accuracy. I've had no notable issues with lag. It may not be as snappy as a note 3 but it is quick enough to not be an annoyance.

I'd say the camera is adequate. I does the job but is not spectacular. It might be the larger screen that lets you can see flaws such as graininess/lack of focus much more clearly. Looking through the gigantic viewfinder is pretty cool though. Sound in video is very good.

I never really played games on my phone before, but I tried a couple of titles on the Mega and boy did they shine. I didn't push the phone to the limits, but all I can say is the large screen made using the controls a breeze and graphics great to look at.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Two week owner of the Mega on Sprint. I am coming from the S3 and am completely satisfied with the switch. I love the LCD screen with it's brightness and color accuracy. I've had no notable issues with lag. It may not be as snappy as a note 3 but it is quick enough to not be an annoyance.

I'd say the camera is adequate. I does the job but is not spectacular. It might be the larger screen that lets you can see flaws such as graininess/lack of focus much more clearly. Looking through the gigantic viewfinder is pretty cool though. Sound in video is very good.

I never really played games on my phone before, but I tried a couple of titles on the Mega and boy did they shine. I didn't push the phone to the limits, but all I can say is the large screen made using the controls a breeze and graphics great to look at.

Thank you for that, roscoe. I appreciate it.

The camera review has me a little alarmed. She loves snapping photos, and actually uses her phone camera to post pictures of her products online. Will need to investigate this a little more.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

n-strike

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't own a Mega and this is kind of off-topic, but your wife sounds exactly like me! I, just like her, have the Note 1 and have played with the Note 3 and I want the Mega.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, if we jump, I will give everyone our thoughts on it. By that time, it may be too late and you may have decided, but I get the feeling this will be where she goes. She is turned off by the $250.00 on contract price of the Note 3. Her thoughts are that she loves the Note 1, and the Mega is an upgrade for her over those specs, anyways- so why pay for more?

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Ordered one Mega for myself yesterday and will be getting it in a couple of days. My son has one and it is truly a great device :) Sold my Note3 and got myself a S4 Plus (I9506) and now the Mega :)

Sent from my GT-I9506 using AC Forums mobile app

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Got my Mega today and this is one heck of a phone. It perforforms exellent and the lcd screen is impressive for being a 720p one :)

Sent from my GT-I9205 using AC Forums mobile app

TomInOregon

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to get it on contract with AT&T, it's only $75 right now. That's 1/4 the price of the Note3. Other than that info, I haven't used mine long enough to give you any real feedback on the phone itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non