Should I get the Note 10.1 (2014) or just hold out for the New Nexus 10?

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am a difficult situation. I need a new tablet within the next 2 weeks. I am traveling abroad. I have a 2012 Nexus 10 and loved it but unfortunately my 16 month old thought it would be a good idea to throw it down the concrete stairs...suffice it to say it is no longer in commission. So i am looking for a replacement. I love the new Note 10.1 (2014) The S-pen and screen are great. But I am not a big fan of touchwiz. My ideal tablet was the Nexus 10 and was convinced would wait for the new one but after hearing the nexus 10 might be replaced by a nexus 8 inch which is just too small for me I am getting a little worried. Besides I only have until Nov 13th to purchase one as that is when I leave the States and not sure anything will be announced then let alone released.

Any help of helping me make my choice between the Note 10.1 2014 edition or possible wait it out till the Nexus gets released would be much appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you can wait for an updated Nexus tablet then that's what you should probably do. If you definitely need to get a tablet soon, then consider getting the next best thing that meets your needs. Is the Nexus 7 (2013) too small for you? The price is definitely right.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If the nexus 7 2013 edition was 10.1 inches I would buy 2 of them lol the tablet itself is perfect. But i just need a full tablet. I watch alot of movies and I use my tablet as my Work labtop at times and need a bigger screen. The 7 inch mark is just too small to me. I am now leaning to getting a 10.1 2014 edition and just loading up an AOSP rom on it. But just a little nervous as it will never be completely stable like a nexus device is for the most part.

rick1574

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I've my 2014 GN10.1 for about two weeks now and I love it. However, it's not without it's faults. I would say if you're going to actually use the S-Pen for more than doodling, I would get it. I take pages upon pages of notes and have found the S-Pen and S-Note to be invaluable. I also prefer to have a device that supports expandable memory. I too travel for my job and have a massive media collection. I plan on buying multiple SD cards so I can swap freely swap them out to watch different movies / tv shows for my long stays abroad.

Unless the 2nd generation Nexus 10 is priced $200 lower than the GN10.1, I would say you'll be please with the Note. I've been using Nova Launcher to avoid touchwiz, and do find it annoying that some of the useless apps that Samsung packed into the Note are taking up space. But I'm willing to wait for a reliable solution before I dismiss the advantages of the device.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The '14 Note 10.1 is a great device but the Note 10.1 is not a low-cost tablet. If you're gonna use the S-Pen a lot then it may be worth it but if not there are lower cost alternatives. We haven't seen the new Nexus 10 so I wouldn't really consider it an option at this point. If it drops and is as good as or better than the Note 10.1, well, that'll speak for itself.

Note 8.0

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with that. There are no roms for this device, there are no custom recovery options, we have root but it's a half-assed one that trips the KNOX counter and voids your warranty. Worse yet, we have no developers interested in making anything for it probably due to the price point of the device.

You sir, Just convinced me to wait it out for the Nexus 10 or whatever lol That was all i needed to hear. Thanks

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
What about the Asus Transformer Pad tf701-T, the device the upcoming Nexus 10 is rumored to be based upon?

You wouldn't have the S-Pen functionality and you'd be tied to Asus for updates (vs. Google for the Nexus 10) but you also have the option of getting the keyboard dock and seeing some insane battery life.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the Note 10.1 because at 1.19lbs, it's the lightest 10" android tablet (at least, with the 2560 x 1600 resolution). I also love the faux leather back on the Note 3, which the tablet also uses. The extra $100 for the 32gb version is worth it for the added comfort, but the SD card slot makes it a much easier decision to make, and since I already own a 32gb SD card (from my TP), it's effectively a 64gb tablet for $600.

I'm definitely tossing Nova Launcher on it, so TW by and large doesn't bother me.

purplehaze50o

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to get both lol I just posted my Verizon HTC One for sale on here if it sells I am going to go out and get a Note 10.1 2014 then whenever the N10 comes out I will just get it as well. Thanks guys for all your help

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So I decided to get both lol I just posted my Verizon HTC One for sale on here if it sells I am going to go out and get a Note 10.1 2014 then whenever the N10 comes out I will just get it as well. Thanks guys for all your help
I can't really imagine what you'd need Nexus 10 for if you got the Note 10.1 but you can never have too many toys!

4xposed

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I've the same situation, I got (a gift) the Note 10.1 2014 edition (should be delivered to me tomorrow), and worries me the famous lag...so I was considering sell the 10.1 2014 and the new N10...

Also I can't decide what's best multi-window and the s-pen or vanilla android...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've the same situation, I got (a gift) the Note 10.1 2014 edition (should be delivered to me tomorrow), and worries me the famous lag...so I was considering sell the 10.1 2014 and the new N10...

Also I can't decide what's best multi-window and the s-pen or vanilla android...
If I were you I'd give the Note 10.1 a serious workout and then determine if you think there could possibly be a more superior tablet.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
People are reporting serious issues with the new 701 already. Same issues as the older models such as bottlenecks with NAND ruining the experience and quality control issues. Personally, I avoid Tegra devices altogether and would never recommend one. I'm sure the Tegra 4 is fast and all, don't really care to look it up, but the devices they're put in always suffer from some problem. Like it's cursed or something.

I'll never forget the XOOM I owned. Still makes me cringe.
What was wrong with your Xoom? I still use mine daily and it doesn't really make cringe besides the fact it lags everywhere.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Like an adult blocking out a traumatic experience from their adolescence I have completely forgotten what the Xoom even looked like, the problems I had, or my time with it. It's a complete blank and it feels like had the device decades ago. But I'll never forget the performance, it was a real horror show.

I sold my iPad 1 to free myself of the shackles of iOS and I felt like I had sold my Ferrari for a Saturn that cost the same.

Im considering getting rid of the Xoom and grabbing an iPad Air, Note 10.1 2014 or the new nexus 10 assuming it ever releases. In your opinion which would be the best to upgrade to? You have had experience with the xoom so im interested to hear what you have to say!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
^^ I have a '14 Note 10.1 and just just (yesterday) got a iPad Air (don't tell my Ambassador brethren, they'll...they'll do things to me...horrible things). These are both great tablets and for the 32GB WiFi versions, they're priced the same, $600. Between the two, for me, its a toss-up. While the S-Pen on the Note 10.1 offers the greatest note-taking functionality you can find on Android and the 2560x1600 screen is, well, gorgeous the iPad nearly matches this wonderful S-Pen functionality with an app called Pen Ultimate and your favorite stylus. They both perform well but iOS is both less flexible and simpler. There's a larger app ecosystem with iOS but you can find what you need and most of what you want in Android. The '14 Note 10.1 is a powerful and awesome piece of kit that performs just great. The iPad Air is the best iPad to date and is exceedingly fast. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Out of the box, there were three separate updates to the Note. I have not experienced lag so far, so I don't know if the updates fixed it or if it wasn't a big deal to begin with. I have a Transformer Prime, so I know what lag is. Also, I use Nova Launcher, so maybe the TW Launcher is still laggy, but I wouldn't know.

The biggest drawback is the battery life, but that's a direct result of the 2560 X 1600 screen. I doubt the Nexus 10 2 will do much better considering it has the same resolution screen, but 7 hours screen time might be a huge turn off, especially when the iPad Air is getting anywhere from 11 to 13 hours.

If you are an Android purist, the physical home button and capacitive menu and back keys will absolutely drive you insane. It's kind of a trade off for me, because I am getting the real estate for the soft key bar back (which is quite handy in more than a few apps), but holding it in your left hand in portrait mode and trying not to accidentally touch the back button can be frustrating. It's easier to flip it the other way, but some apps lock orientation.

tomlh

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Had my new note a couple of days now (played with it quite a lot). I had the last note 10.1 which I loved despite it's "poor screen" and have a 2nd gen Nexus 7 in addition at the moment.
So far love the screen (fantastic), the speed of the tablet in general, the constant WiFi speed (no slow down like the last note over time), the SPen is much more responsive and intuitive than before. I would say this is a big improvement in every way over the last note 10.1.
My one complaint is the hardware button and softkey buttons on the surround I would have preferred them on the screen but I suspect I will (an am already compensating).
I am glad I bought it and will sell my N7 now.
Overall 9 out of ten, the best thing being the new screen and the general productivity, I will use this for some time I feel.
Maybe SKY will start to support bigger tablets then I will be very happy.
Forgot to add that, with all my normal Apps (no games), I have about 9.7GB free space out of the 16GB internal storage. All docs, photos etc are on a 64gb card.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress