Considering galaxy note 10.1 2014 for an engineer student

Glantz

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
My main goal is to take notes. I want to replace all my notebooks, and be ablie to work with ppt's and pdf's.
Do you think galaxy note 10.1 2014 is a good choice?
Could you advise me from personal experience?

Thanks in advance,

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a great tablet, but as far as I've found out, taking notes on top of PPT's is not easy but that's not because of the tablet but because I haven't found any software that will let you do that properly. However, using the supplied S-Note software or even Evernote you can take notes that will be available on different devices and sync without problems, so you can have the PPT file open in one half of the screen and the note-taking app in the other.

Glantz

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a great tablet, but as far as I've found out, taking notes on top of PPT's is not easy but that's not because of the tablet but because I haven't found any software that will let you do that properly. However, using the supplied S-Note software or even Evernote you can take notes that will be available on different devices and sync without problems, so you can have the PPT file open in one half of the screen and the note-taking app in the other.
Thanks buddy,
Are you able to save it as PDF file and write on them?

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks buddy,
Are you able to save it as PDF file and write on them?
I bought the Note for academic note taking, grading papers, reading PDFs, etc. It will work wonderfully for you. You might want to try using Dropbox as a way to back up your notes and access them from your computer. Evernote works nicely with the Note, too.

PDFs are a little tricky on the Note. You'll want to experiment with some apps to figure out what you like best. I found that using S Notes for PDFs was a bad idea. It greatly reduces the quality of the PDF when you open the file on another device. S Notes is wonderful for taking notes by hand, however. It's very easy to use. Just open PDFs in another app.

I've tried a lot of PDFs apps now. My favorite is Lecture Notes. If you are going to write notes on the PDF with that app, you have to start a "second layer." You can select that option from the menu... There are plenty of other PDF apps to try, however. Many of them offer a free trial so you'll be able to find what works best for you.

I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

ChengYeng L

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Ex engineering student here, I was thinking 10.1 came out too late or I graduated too early.
Wish can have this device when studying...

Lucky thing is I able have it after work, enjoy it.

Just share something using it with my boss today, and I said this to him,

"This is a smart device, so used it in a smart way."

Ps, my boss previously doesn't look good on me when I just get my 10.1.

NorthwestJeni

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I really like Papyrus on my Note 10.1 2014. It really is so very close to writing on notebook paper. Great for notetaking, doodling, listmaking, planning, etc. Just a great application over all.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
We agree that it is a great application for note taking. However, frommy experience with it, annotating pdf files, filling out pdf forms, and layering, there is no provided support. Compared to Lecture Notes, it falls short.

Via my Note 3

Glantz

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, you gave me a lot of info here.
I actually need to take note + writing on pdf files and ppt files.
Is there a some sort of a one app for this?

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You can always convert ppt to pdf on tablet, then use one of the available pdf apps. ezPdf is not bad for writing on pdf documents.

IntoTheCrimson

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
This is a nice thread. Some of the questions I was originally going to ask were answered here, but I do have one more that I'd like to ask to add to the discussion:

If I were to write a full page of notes by hand, would I then be able to easily convert all of that to text? Is there an option for having the whole page converted, or can I select sentences and convert those piece by piece?

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a nice thread. Some of the questions I was originally going to ask were answered here, but I do have one more that I'd like to ask to add to the discussion:

If I were to write a full page of notes by hand, would I then be able to easily convert all of that to text? Is there an option for having the whole page converted, or can I select sentences and convert those piece by piece?

I don't know of a way to do this, but I'm newer to the Note than others in this forum. Generally, when I'm converting handwriting to text, I convert individual words as I go. It can be a little tedious to do that with long sections of text. In my experience, it's better to originally write on the Note in the format that you want it to appear in longterm, so if you want typed text, it is best to type it. If you want handwritten text, write it that way. Someone else might know of a way to convert handwriting, though. If they do, I'd love to know about it, too!

Gbuch

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
S Note is capable of converting large sections of handwritten text: write freehand style select the dashed square in the top (the pen tip will say "selection mode"), select the area with the text you want to convert, and choose "Transform into" -> "Text".

You can also make pie charts this way, and other fun stuff