Is the Stylus worth getting over the Asus Infinity 700?

BCShakarov

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking into tablets, the feature that I liked the most on the Note 10.1 is the stylus. However, since I will likely be getting the Note 2 next month, is the Note 10.1 still worth my investment? The real breaker between the ASUS and Galaxy is the Stylus, so is the Note 10.1 worth getting over the Asus pad?

Is there a digital stylus for the ASUS pad that would work similarly to that of the Note 10.1?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you don't need to do things that require a stylus, then you might like the higher resolution of the Infinity - and the fact that it already has JellyBean.

If you do need to do things (like take handwritten notes) that require a stylus, then the yes, the Note is worth it.

No, there is no digitizer in the Asus, so no apps on it will work like the Note apps that work with the stylus.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Also I have heard that it's a pretty cool integrated experience when you own the Note and the Note 10.1. And i bet it's even better with the Note 2. In fact, I sold my Razr Maxx and am planning on trying out the S3 and also the Note 2 when it finally is released.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The multi-tasking alone makes the Note 10.1 better than the T700. It doesn't have a digitized screen but a capacitive one so the S Pen is overkill as it is digitized. The S Pen can be used for screen shots.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I remember seeing some youtube videos where they compared the ASUS tablet to the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Note won on a lot of counts, unless like previous posts said you want the HD screen resolution. Another thing that kept me from looking at the Asus tablets was a lot of the things I read said it was buggy and would crash sometimes. In Fact the video on you tube I was watching the comparison on, something went wrong with the Asus tablet. lol. It was an older thread here on the Note 10.1 forum if you want to look it up, should have a link to the youtube video.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note and the Asus TF300. In my experience (and those of many others), there are major stability issues in Asus devices that I have never encountered in my 3 Samsungs (the Galaxy S3, the Tab 2 7.0 and the Note 10.1).

pinch55

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I Love my note! I am using the stylus to write this. I can use it to write almost anywhere. The speakers are front facing and actually quite loud. So far super happy with my investment. This is only my second full day,learning new stuff all the time.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh my, I'm very in favor of the Spen and I also have the Note phone and will have the Note 2 when upgrade permits. I have never before used any feature of a smart phone besides the phone and internet. That was it. To me, the rest was a waste. I wanted a large screen for web surfing. I couldn't wait to get the Note phone. I started playing with the features and the more I learned, the more it became an integrated part of my life. I was always rather haphazard, a purse full of sticky notes, writing important things on the back of printouts and losing them, remembered apts more by chance than organization. When I got the note, it was a transformation. The ease of being able to write a note, fast, and organize them has been extremely valuable. I thought I'd hit the jackpot, a large enough phone, I didn't need to feel like I was missing something without a tablet. Then the Note 10.1 came out. I read about it........ read the forum, all the features of my note phone and then some, supersized....... took about a week before I grabbed my car keys, raced to Best Buy and brought home the 10.1. I can't speak to the Asus, but I can tell you what practical applications the Spen brings to the tablet that is head and shoulders above the rest. Not only can you keep running lists, notes on projects, whatever you would normally write down and maybe lose, or put in an email to yourself is always readily accessible and changeable. And the multi-tasking is phenomenal, really! Want to save a picture to show someone, hit a button, get a screen shot, draw a box or loop around it, slide that part onto a working page where you can write notes. When you get used to it, it takes two seconds to start a file with running notes on whatever you're researching. Ever want to describe something and not be able to quite find the right words? Being able to draw, edit, highlight things and send it off showing exactly what you want is truly the picture worth a thousand words.Take pictures and write on them, write on pdf files too. I send notes back and forth from Tablet to phone via email. I don't know what kind of stylus the Asus uses, but the feel of the Spen in both the Tablet and phone are truly like a pen experience. It has a fine tip rather than a fat rounded end like I've seen on many stylus types. When you write with it, it's very much like using a smooth gel pen. It's also helpful if you have a web page with tiny links, it's so easy to use the Spen for a very defined tap. Also, I find the writing and printing to text recognition to be very good, although others have found it not as useful. I love the Spen, I even bought spares because I occasionally forget the Spen at the office. I think the Tablet for the multi-tasking and the Spen functions make it as perfect as a tablet can be for me. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with the Note 10.1, especially since you plan on getting the Note 2!

BCShakarov

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The ASUS 700 also has a mobile dock which would help for the majority of the work I would need to do with the pad. It essentially comes down to the S-Pen, which I would use to supplement my typing, and I can imagine that it would be REALLY nice but it's harder to find supporting accessories, esspecially a mobile dock.The other issue is performance

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The ASUS 700 also has a mobile dock which would help for the majority of the work I would need to do with the pad. It essentially comes down to the S-Pen, which I would use to supplement my typing, and I can imagine that it would be REALLY nice but it's harder to find supporting accessories, esspecially a mobile dock.The other issue is performance

There is so much more in terms of multi-tasking capabilities that have not really been emphasized enough versus the content creation. The Note 10.1 tablet has the capability of bringing the best of a smartphone like the GS3 and a tablet version of a compact laptop. You can connect a BT keyboard and with the USB adaptor can augment its functionality as a laptop. The T700 does offer the dock with the addition battery and the USB port but do you want to carry around a small laptop or a tablet? You can split screen email and browser with the Video Pop Up enabled or be multi-tasking and open more apps with the tray at the bottom of the screen. The Note 10.1 tablet packs a whole lot more value and functionality than the T700.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Listen, the Infinity is one gorgeous device, without a doubt, with it's ultra slim aluminum design. And the dock is fabulous; I've owned two (I recently sold my TF101). The storage potential is amazing. In my Transformer Pad TF300 (the less expensive quad core option), I have 32 gis internal, 64 on a micro sd and another 64 on a full sized sd. Not to mention a full size USB port on the dock. Add a dropbox or other cloud resource, you've got yourself a good netbook /tablet. Choosing between that and the Note, a you're looking at arguably the two best options in all of the Android tabs. I cautioned you on stability issues in my last post, but I cannot talk from personal experience about the Infinity, itself. And mind you, I am talking from the perspective of someone who has a device with the dock and one with the SA pen, so I have the luxury of not having to choose. If the functionality of the dock is what you need more than the pen, then perhaps you should get the Infinity. But, for performance, I give it to Samsung.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm ready to revise my opinion. My Transformer TF300 performance is for sh!t since the Jelly Bean upgrade, and my experience is not unusual. Trust Samsung over Asus.