Pen-Only mode after updating to Jelly Bean

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,
I'm so sorry to bug you but I haven't seen this issue being mentioned here. So, I just want to bring it up and see if anybody is aware of it and even better, help me out.

I got my brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (with ice cream sandwich) last night and updated to Android 4.1.2. In S-note, on the top left corner, there are three icons indicating three ways of handwriting notes. One looks like a crayon with an underline, one is a small capitalized T in a square, and a 3rd one is a big capitalized T with an underline. There is also a "hand" icon on the bottom right corner. My understanding is that this icon is for "pen only" mode. When I'm writing a note underneath the crayon or small capitalized T, the hand icon works. However, when I'm in the big Capitalized T, it doesn't work (also it moves onto the top right corner of the keyboard). So when I write with my pinky or palm pressing the screen, weird words appear.

For me, the big Capitalized T is the best way to write notes. No text box and I can always save the notes and come back later and change them anyway I want. From the old posts I read here, most people love this way of notes taking as well. But I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this problem with "pen-only" mode. It really frustrates me.

I talked to Samsung people and they couldn't figure out how to fix it. I asked them if I can go back to Ice Cream Sandwich (as I think the "pen-only" works for all three ways to notes writing), and they said that'll void the warranty. Anyway, they set me up for remote assistance in 48 hours but even they themselves said they doubt that'll help.

I'm very frustrated right now. If someone knows a fix, please let me know. Thank you so so much! I'm very grateful for your help!

Best,
Alex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
One thing I'll say is Samsung customer service sucks! It's been 3 days and they haven't called me back for the remote assistance. In case anybody else out there is having the same issue, I'll keep updating this thread if I find any solution.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how to replicate this issue, because I can't direct the Note to let me write anywhere but in the input box at the bottom of the screen (not the small text boxes that appear with the textbox tool, but the lined area at the bottom where I can write, and have the text converted to typing in the main area of the page, above.

Is it actually possible to handwrite in the top portion of the S Note documents, without being in a text box? How?

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi. This is what I was familiar with - using the panel at the bottom. I misunderstood and thought that you had found a way to write directly in the "paper" area and not use the panel at all. I did learn a couple of new things from watching this - so thanks for posting.

This doesn't address *your* original issue, however. The palm rejection symbol looks different on Jelly Bean - now you have to click it until it turns into a hand with a "no" symbol. Does yours not have that, or does it but it is just not working correctly?

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In S-note, on the top left corner, there are three icons indicating three ways of handwriting notes. One looks like a crayon with an underline, one is a small capitalized T in a square, and a 3rd one is a big capitalized T with an underline (this is the one you were familiar with and the one I like). The hand icon you mentioned works for the first two writing modes for "pen only" but not for the third one. Regardless how many times I click on it, a hand or a "no" symbol, I can always write with my pinky or palm.

I'm not sure if it's just my tablet or the problem with Jelly Bean.

My last resort is to use Google Voice Typing as it turns out to be very accurate. But there are times that I can't speak to make notes, so I'd love to find the solution to this problem.

Thank you for responding!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38