Is this normal battery life? (just got note 2)

cvail

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I hope the people who are having battery issues get it straightened out. I just went almost 48hrs before charging with 6 plus hours of on screen time. I'll let you know I have location access turned off. Facebook sync is turned off also. Facebook is another huge battery snob. I'm more then willing to list all my settings if it can help one person.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, please.

I'm battling some overnight battery drain that differs from daytime battery drain.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
are you shutting off data and wifi when you are not using it? are you set to LTE/CDMA in settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode?
During those hours of major power loss are you in a building with poor reception? are you using any task killers besides the stock task manager?
Thank you so much for the help! Ok hmmm, just checked on the network setting and it was on "Global" geesh, I think I know/assumed it should be CDMA, Best Buy doesn't really check those things when they set you up I guess.

Will that make a big difference? What exactly does Global do? I have been going through and turning off auto syncs and other items today. Also, I have great signal and 4g pretty much everywhere. I do not use a task killer. I learned not to do that on my prior Thunderbolt!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Modifying some of those settings should help with battery life. Your welcome!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Can you post all of your settings. I have a SGH1317 att GN2. Before the 4.1.2 upgrade I had fabulous battery usage. Almost too good to believe. Nothing was disabled, wifi was on. After the update there was a remarkable change. I now have all att bloatware disabled other than hot spots. Im thinking of disabling music media and mobile media. What about location services. This is a royal pain in the butt...what did the update do?

anon(3783942)

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have WiFi, bluetooth, GPS, sync which is off unless I need to use any of it. My brightness is at 50% with auto off. I have 1 email account with push as well as my gmail and the other set to sync every hour. I have everything that deals with location off. Facebook and Twitter sync is disabled.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360648267169.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360648267169.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
When I'm on lunch today I will list everything I have checked along with my battery life today. I can tell you right now I'm at 35percent left with 22hrs of on time. 5hrs 41mins of on screen time. Also I have had no signal for 3 percent of the time. In my book almost 6 hrs of screen time with 35 percent battery life is great.

ddavis1408

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
And this was watching 2 movies with it. Taken 2 and Ted

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360693335189.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360693335189.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 22

rvgarryj

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless something else is going on I can say signal strength can be a significant difference. I live in an area with crappy cell service for any carrier (I have Verizon and have had others in the past), there are times I drop off the 3G radar, forget LTE (but 1/2 mile away - *uphill* - is 5 bars) and if I spend the exact same day at home vs at the office (5 bars at the office) then my battery will drain much faster at home than work. I can't tell you definitively how much but probably in the 30% different range and maybe more. Both have WiFi so that's constant between locations.

Aside from that I'm at 90% after 6.5 hours of light use, one short call, some emails and texts, and 50% of the drain is screen right now. Yeah, can't stop playing with the damn thing. If I was home I would expect to be down in the mid 80s or low 80s by now, just due to reduced signal strength on cell radio.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok here is what I have for settings. Hopefully this helps. I've also attached my current stats.
Wifi ON
Wifi kept always ON
MORE SETTINGS sprint optimization ON
NFC/SBEAM OFF
Blocking mode ON
LED OFF
Screen mode Standard
Brightness moved the dot to under the G
Auto brightness OFF
Screen out 30 seconds
Smart rotate ON
Smart stay ON
Touch key light 1.5 seconds
Power saving OFF
Location services checked on
GPS OFF
Location and Google Checked
Cloud samsung sync OFF
Backup OFF
Facebook sync OFF
Google sync All on
MAPS location reporting OFF
Motion OFF
SPEN Battery Saving checked
SPEN KEEPER unchecked
Air view OFF.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360698866029.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360698866029.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360698891807.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360698891807.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360698910795.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360698910795.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 21

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Its also recommended once a month to let the battery completely drain before charging. I do this with every phone I have had and at the new billing cycle...a good way for me to remember to do it. This is good for the battery

If you find that draining it once a month and recharging it works best for you then by all means continue to do so. However, per information on Lithium ion (Li) batteries at the Apple website (this is about the Li batteries not their use specifically in Apple products) you should let your Li battery go through one "charging cycle" once a month which is not quite the same as draining your battery once a month. Although completely draining and recharging takes your battery through a charging cycle, your battery can go through a charging cycle in a month without fully draining the battery.

A "charging cycle" is where the battery has lost 100% of its energy and been recharged, but the 100% loss may occur across multiple recharges. For instance if day 1 you use 33.3% of your battery then recharge it fully overnight, then day 2 use 33.3% of the battery then recharge it fully overnight, and then day 3 use 33.3% of the battery and then recharge it fully overnight, on the morning of day 4 the battery has gone through one "charging cycle".

Last edited:

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Just got my note 2 last night. I drained down to battery showing 'yellow' probably almost red. Charged all night, started playing (nothing heavy used st all) and setting up my phone at 6:30am and was just on an hour call. It is now 11:00 am snd my battery shows 64 percent?? Wow, what sm I doing wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

You actually might not be doing anything wrong. The greatest improvement in battery from the Thunderbolt to the Note 2 is idle usage (plus sheer size). On a Rezound battery, the Thunderbolt will drain about 4-5%/hour on wifi and about 10%/hour on LTE with the screen off. The Note 2 will drain about 0.5%/hour on LTE with the screen off.

However, if you are using the Note (which really just means having the screen on, since the processor is fast enough to not run down that much, in general), then I generally expect the battery to go down by 12% for every hour of screen time. So if I used the phone for all 4 hours, 11 minutes, I would expect the phone to be down to 48%. Where the Note 2 is great is that usually, you wouldn't be on the phone for 8 hours in a row. So a couple of hours in the morning, a couple of hours in the afternoon, and the phone would still be at about 40% at night. If the phone doesn't charge overnight, it will still be at about 35% the next morning. By contrast, with the same usage, the Thunderbolt should be completely dead by 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and if charged up to 100% again and unplugged (and LTE is left on overnight), it would be dead again before morning.

The battery meter is also amazingly accurate -- if I reboot the Thunderbolt, the battery meter might show 60% before the reboot and 35% after the reboot (no, the reboot doesn't take 25% of battery!). So when the Thunderbolt battery meter shows 40% (nominal), it's really more like 15% (actual), and it plunges from 15% (nominal) to 0% in minutes. With the Note, a reboot usually doesn't change the battery meter at all, or maybe by 1% or 2%. So 40% battery showing on the Note usually means that there are still 3 hours of screen-on time left. So the Thunderbolt is really, really deceptive that way.

In the other post where your battery was at 91% after 52 minutes, and screen was at 60%, that is consistent with having the screen turned on during the whole time (based on my 12%/hour usage estimate, I would expect it to have used 10.5% or so by that point).

Hope this helps.

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, I don't use the phone as a telephone much, so I don't have an accurate estimate of how much battery use as a telephone is, but it is also not low. I currently have 67% left, which GSAM estimates gives me 10 hours of talk time, so if that is accurate, then 1 hour of phone usage also equals 6.7% of battery. I currently have screen on time of 2 hours, 8 hours of time off the charger, and 10 minutes of talk time (so my estimate of use would be 24% + 4% + 1%, or 29% vs. 33% actual; I am having issues lately with something as well, perhaps Adobe Reader, because battery use typically used to fall *below* the estimate).

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
One thing I really dislike about this phone is that the battery drops from 100% to below 90% pretty quick.

Not really. If I unplug my Note 2 before I go to bed. I wake up about 7 hours later and I'm at 94% give or take. If I unplug it and start using it right away I get about one hour of on screen time before it drops below 90%

Do you have stuff like Facebook or any junk like that running in the background all the time?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I just checked and I'm at 45mins of on screen time I had just taken it off the charger about 15 minutes before I starting playing with it and I'm at 94% so you can easily get one hour of on screen time every 10% unless you're doing things like playing a high end game or doing heavy multi tasking. You can get one hour per 10%.

As for standby. Like I said I lose about 1% to 1.5% an hour. But it also depend on your signal. If you're on LTE and are in a spotty area you will get much less standby. If you're on Wifi you'll get great standby.

Anyhow, I think the Note 2 has the best battery life of any smart phone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta