Blurry Pictures from Slow Shutter: Hardware or Software Issue?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed elsewhere and several times, but I still haven't found a REAL answer or solution... But has anyone else been having the 'slow shutter' issue with their Note 2's camera?

Unless there's PLENTY of light when taking a picture, the shutter becomes slow and, despite the 'instant photo' sound and advertising, the photo is far from instant. Even shaking your hand a little bit results in blurred-out scenes. Now imagine trying to get a proper shot of my new puppy running, or wiggling without having his face blurred from the slightest movement.

Now, I've seen great reviews from the Note 2's camera and others that claim the same issue as mine. So, is this a software or a hardware issue? Has anyone else had better results using a different camera app? Or did you fare better by switching phones?

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Taking pictures in low light is possibly the most demanding use of photography (other than the right shot). Whether it is digital or film. Phones are not made to be cameras but have the ability to grab the immediate shot when you don't have anything else.

In low light you need more time for the light to be picked up by either the film or the sensor. So it always slows down the shutter. In DSLR cameras they use large sensors that capture more light and so, if for no other reason, they have faster shutters than phones. But they also slow down when used in low light and are designed with the use of a tripod to aid in keeping them steady in such situations. Your Note 2 has stabilization which helps with shaking hands and it works. I know because at 65 my hands are not very steady any more and it works for me.

To expect great low light pictures from a tiny sensor in a hand held device is an unreasonable expectation. For it's size the Note 2 is a fantastic camera well beyond a lot of devices sold as just cameras on the market today. But it is not in league with true DSLR's.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But I'm not taking pictures in such Low Light conditions! I've tried the same shots from my old GSII and the puppy's face is not a blurr. Note 2's, however, are. Same lighting conditions (indoor, or out on a sunny day but below a tree shadow). It's really annoying because it DOES take great shots as long as I have the Sun's full force shining on the scene...

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
But I'm not taking pictures in such Low Light conditions! I've tried the same shots from my old GSII and the puppy's face is not a blurr. Note 2's, however, are. Same lighting conditions (indoor, or out on a sunny day but below a tree shadow). It's really annoying because it DOES take great shots as long as I have the Sun's full force shining on the scene...
Do you have stabilize on? Are you using flash?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
it isn't stabilization. it is "anti shake", meaning it's just a faster shutter speed; not a true image stabilization.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
use a high ISO (or are you already using "auto" ISO, which should give you ISO 800 in dim lighting). be sure anti shake is ON. hold VERY still. :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Auto ISO, anti-shake ON, no flash (this time), holding very still...problem is, try to keep a playing puppy still :p I even took a shot of my friend holding the dog and the entire picture looks good, but the puppy's face was obviously wiggling so he's the only blurr. Usually using a flash helps things better, but it also means 'losing the moment' waiting for the flash to focus and it also has some blurr sometimes (but that's at night, so I figure that's why)

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Can you post a picture so we can see. I'll try take some dog photos tonight so that we can compare.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
the shutter speed on this phone is excruciatingly slow which is why you are having issues with moving subjects.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
the shutter speed on this phone is excruciatingly slow which is why you are having issues with moving subjects.
That's what I've been reading on many reviews, but others claim it's the greatest camera ever...
So I'm puzzled. haha Might a different camera app improve things?

Here are some sample pics... these are all during daylight and a couple even outside, where the sun was bright but under trees.
Here, note how the tail and overall body looks blurred, but the grass and background seem (for the most part) in focus.
20130210_174145.jpg

Here it's an overall blur.
20130210_174153.jpg

And here, probably the one taken with the worse lightning of the three (inside a car), notice how my buddy and the background are quite clear but the puppy's face and leash are greatly motion-blurred.
20130210_181844.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've seen some of the photos in the sticky post from this forum (Pictures taken with Note 2) and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem... So I guess it IS a hardware problem :(

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a WAG on my part: Samsung wanted reviewers to fawn over decent low-light capabilities. In order to achieve that, they saddled us with a camera that uses a very slow shutter speed. As technology advances, some day will will see more light sensitive sensors along with reduced noise. Heck I have a Nikon D5100 DSLR and when the ISO is cranked up to over 600 I have to reduce noise in Lightroom to get a satisfactory image. The Note 2 goes all the way up to ISO 800.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Burst mode when taking pictures of your dog? Instead of single shot? This is might work. Give it a whirl.
Sent from my Sprint Note 2.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just saw an awesome shot of a black lab in the sticky post for photos and yeah, he says he took them with Burst mode. The thing is, his photo is out in bright daylight... I tried that yesterday indoors and the photos still come out blurry (not all, but most). Besides, you SHOULDN'T have to take out a tripod and ask everyone in your photo to stand still for 1 second everytime you need to take a picture... that's the only thing that bothers me about the Note 2...everything else I love, but the slow shutter is really a big issue :(

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I made a thread in the Verizon Note 2 section that acts as a beginners guide to using the phone's camera. One of the things I have been looking to add to the guide in an update is proper high speed shutter control. So far I have found the same results as you, that the Note 2 errs to the side of slow shutter speeds rather than high ISO settings. This is fine and all, but even in decently lit scenes it still runs with a typical 1/30 shutter speed. This is far too slow imho.

Unfortunately the only way I've ever been able to get faster shutter speeds consistently is to use Flash. And even then the subject cannot be more than 4 feet away or it diminishes the effect it has on shutter speed. There is a mode called Beach/Snow that drops ISO to below minimum at ISO-50 and has also delivered relatively fast shutter speeds, but you absolutely cannot get away with using it indoors. This is only for an outdoors middle of the day setting. Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If it doesn't work out, well then Flash it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress