Is it safe to turn on/off airplane mode often?

ImmaGhost

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I started uaing airplane mode a lot more recently finding out it saves me tons of battery when I sleep or when I go out to workout leaving my phone idle. I was just wondering if it is safe to use it often or will it slowly break down your phone and make it sluggish?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I started uaing airplane mode a lot more recently finding out it saves me tons of battery when I sleep or when I go out to workout leaving my phone idle. I was just wondering if it is safe to use it often or will it slowly break down your phone and make it sluggish?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

It's fine. You are just killing power to the cell and internet radios. That is why you save power. Your cell is no longer spending power and processing looking for a signal that may be weak. I actually suggest doing it if say, you work in a building that has a weak signal to begin with, and if you aren't supposed to have it with you as well.

In fact, if your phone ever becomes off sync with time (cells use signals to keep the clock synced), you can turn on airplane mode for several seconds, and then turn it off. The forced cell search will refresh the time.

MercuryStar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's perfectly fine.

Although if you do it too often, you may not actually save much battery, since every time you reconnect (ie turn off airplane mode) it uses more battery than it normally would for a short period of time as it re-negotiates the connection. But if you're doing it less than every 5 minutes there'd be no reason to worry about that.

The only reason more people don't do this is that they won't be able to receive incoming calls, texts or push notifications while it's disconnected (ie, in airplane mode).

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
wha?? toggling airplane mode is like switching a light switch. It's not doing anything to your phone other than turning the cell radios on and off. You'll also find out that you can stay in airplane mode and still turn on wi-fi.

ImmaGhost

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It's perfectly fine.

Although if you do it too often, you may not actually save much battery, since every time you reconnect (ie turn off airplane mode) it uses more battery than it normally would for a short period of time as it re-negotiates the connection. But if you're doing it less than every 5 minutes there'd be no reason to worry about that.

The only reason more people don't do this is that they won't be able to receive incoming calls, texts or push notifications while it's disconnected (ie, in airplane mode).

No I usually only turn it on when I sleep and when I go to the gym.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Sent from my Note 2 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia