Just got the iPhone 5s, thinking note 3?

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up a iPhone 5s 64gb space gray, but man the note 3 is looking SUPER interesting. For the few people that have it, how's it feel in the hand? Is it hard to text one handed and how does it feel in your hand when on the phone with someone? The 5s is so smooth so how is the note 3 compared to it? Thanks all!
Ps: don't just reply to bash apple. Please reply with insightful info and not just garbage please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by a moderator:

NJRonbo

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just got the iphone 5s, thinking note 3?

MaryJane,

Think there is another thread here on this exact subject, but I think I can help you out immensely.

I am a hardcore Apple fan. I own so many of their devices. Owned every single iPhone for the past 5 years up to iPhone 5.

When iPhone 5 was about to be announced there was a rumor that it would have a larger screen. When the announcement happened, and Apple users found out no larger screen but just narrower, I think the migration to Android began.

Apple has lost a good piece of their phone market to Samsung because although they continue to make superb phones, they are tiny little toys compared to what Android offers.

Also, with iOS, you are essentially locked into their environment. It is perfect for mom and pop that want a phone that works perfectly out of the box. For anyone that wants to customize their phone to look and work differently, you can't do it with an iPhone......but you can with an Android.

Do I think you should ditch that iPhone 5S and go with the Note 3? That depends. Are you tired of squinting at the small iPhone screen? Are you the kind of person that likes to customize the phone? If you answer yes to either of the two questions, then you should consider the Note 3.

However....and this is where I am going to get pushback from Android users here....I don't think the Android platform is as polished as iOS. Really, I think iOS is a beautiful platform and the apps on the iPhone tend to look better and integrate with other Apple devices better than Android.

If you get an Android phone, it works very well out of the box....but expect to put some time into getting it exactly the way you want it. That can be a good or not so good thing.

Do I miss the iPhone? Yes, I do. But that's mainly because I own other Apple products and they all work so well together. I would go back to the iPhone in a HEARTBEAT if they came out with a 6" phone. Rumor has it they may be doing exactly that next year with the iPhone 6.

Honestly, I think once you go to a larger screen you will look at the iPhone like its a toy. Videos and Pictures look amazingly better. That's because when you want to share them with a group of friends sitting at a table around around you, they can actually SEE what is on the screen.

Can you return the 5S at this point? I would think you have 2 weeks to make that decision. Why not return it, get the Note 3, and if you don't like it you have 2 weeks to return that as well.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know how you made out.

TeamPowerstroke

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

While i dont have mine yet, I beleive there is a setting or something that moves the screen to the side you text with right or left to make it easier for 1 handed texting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

dodong27

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

While i dont have mine yet, I beleive there is a setting or something that moves the screen to the side you text with right or left to make it easier for 1 handed texting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Yup..!
Though I never used it, don't need to.

I came from iPhone 4s and straight to Note 2, and never looked back. Now when I hold an iPhone, it feels so tiny and I couldn't believe how small the screen is. Makes me laugh actually.

I'll be getting the Note 3 later.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

Why not get the note 3 as well and play with both phones for a week and decide? You are gonna loose 35 bucks restocking fee anyway :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Just picked up a iPhone 5s 64gb space gray, but man the note 3 is looking SUPER interesting. For the few people that have it, how's it feel in the hand? Is it hard to text one handed and how does it feel in your hand when on the phone with someone? The 5s is so smooth so how is the note 3 compared to it? Thanks all!
Ps: don't just reply to bash apple. Please reply with insightful info and not just garbage please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you go to the Note 3 comparisons and reviews, there is a video called 30 plus tips and tricks of the Note 3. He shows how easy it is to go to one handed operation, a little wiggle of the thumb on the screen and it shrinks and goes to the side. He shows a lot of great features of the Note 3, definitely worth while to see.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

As a former iPhone junkie (owned every model ever made includinding the 5) I tried going from my GS4 to the iPhone 5s last week and that lasted about 12 hours,,, I ran back to Tmobile and got my GS4 back,, I have also owned the Note 1 and Note 2 (I'm a phone gadget junkie as we'll),,,, I'm still in my return window to trade my GS4 for the Note 3 and thinking real hard about doing it.

One thing I don't have to think about is downgrading back to an iPhone,,, the 5s I got last week reminded me in a big way why I jumped off the iPhone ship.

As the other posting said,,, that tiny litte 4" screen is really one of the iPhones biggest drawbacks, along with how far and smooth the Android OS now is.

And if your worried about a learning curve switching from iOS to Android,,, don't worry, it's very easy and not painfull at all.

Cheers
Davyo

LosingMyMind

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I have the same thread going, check it out. Very informative and the people here are very nice and helpful. My main reason for switching is the last iOS7 update. It's hideous and I hate it and I'll be damned to upgrade for a fingerprint sensor. I have had nothing but problems since the update on iPhone 5, my kids have 4s and runs smooth like butter. I now feel "forced" to upgrade. Not to mention I'm bored with it.

I am an apply junkie and have all iDevices, so this change is still hard for me going into uncharted territory, so yes I'm nervous about the change. It may seem ridiculous to some (being nervous) because it's just a phone, but that's my honest opinion on how I feel. I'm tired of being locked in. Now I'm still on contract with iPhone until next year, BUT this will give me a chance to play with both phones and do my own comparisons. The Note 3 looks ridiculously amazing and this may be a cure to my apple addiction!! Like previous poster said, if you don't like it, you can always return it.

Last edited:

cxand20

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

Is anyone with Verizon willing to trade their iPhone 5s for my galaxy note 3? I don't like it as much as I thought I would

cxand20

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

I also have the galaxy Gear if anyone wants to buy it from me. I've used it 3 or 4 times

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

MaryJane,

Think there is another thread here on this exact subject, but I think I can help you out immensely.

I am a hardcore Apple fan. I own so many of their devices. Owned every single iPhone for the past 5 years up to iPhone 5.

When iPhone 5 was about to be announced there was a rumor that it would have a larger screen. When the announcement happened, and Apple users found out no larger screen but just narrower, I think the migration to Android began.

Apple has lost a good piece of their phone market to Samsung because although they continue to make superb phones, they are tiny little toys compared to what Android offers.

Also, with iOS, you are essentially locked into their environment. It is perfect for mom and pop that want a phone that works perfectly out of the box. For anyone that wants to customize their phone to look and work differently, you can't do it with an iPhone......but you can with an Android.

Do I think you should ditch that iPhone 5S and go with the Note 3? That depends. Are you tired of squinting at the small iPhone screen? Are you the kind of person that likes to customize the phone? If you answer yes to either of the two questions, then you should consider the Note 3.

However....and this is where I am going to get pushback from Android users here....I don't think the Android platform is as polished as iOS. Really, I think iOS is a beautiful platform and the apps on the iPhone tend to look better and integrate with other Apple devices better than Android.

If you get an Android phone, it works very well out of the box....but expect to put some time into getting it exactly the way you want it. That can be a good or not so good thing.

Do I miss the iPhone? Yes, I do. But that's mainly because I own other Apple products and they all work so well together. I would go back to the iPhone in a HEARTBEAT if they came out with a 6" phone. Rumor has it they may be doing exactly that next year with the iPhone 6.

Honestly, I think once you go to a larger screen you will look at the iPhone like its a toy. Videos and Pictures look amazingly better. That's because when you want to share them with a group of friends sitting at a table around around you, they can actually SEE what is on the screen.

Can you return the 5S at this point? I would think you have 2 weeks to make that decision. Why not return it, get the Note 3, and if you don't like it you have 2 weeks to return that as well.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know how you made out.

Well said. I miss the iPhone too but that's also because I have other iDevices.
And I agree 100 percent about Android not being as polished as the iPhone.

My friend got the Note 3. She's is a bit older and not tech saavy at all. She came from the iPhone. I told her if it's too much to "play" with, the phone may not be for her. There's a lot of tweaking customizations/ settings to make it your own. It's quite a learning curve. I've had this phone since October and I'm still learning.

The iDevices are very user friendly. Just something you might want to know. Other than that, I'm really enjoying my phone.

Sent From My Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
A few things I don't understand??? Why do people say iOS is more polished than Android??? While this may have been true a looongg time ago, it is no longer the case. If anything, Apple has gone even further backwards with their iOS 7 update. The funny thing is that it is a nice little rip off of Android to boot. Why do people believe there is a learning curve when using Android. There is only a learning curve if you are worried or scared of the difference. Android is extremely intuitive and can do so much if you just embrace it. As far as the customization is concerned, you can leave it just how it comes out of the box (just like Apple) and only change the wallpaper if you so choose. There is even and easy mode that could in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY make using a smartphone easier!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Well said. I miss the iPhone too but that's also because I have other iDevices.
And I agree 100 percent about Android not being as polished as the iPhone.

My friend got the Note 3. She's is a bit older and not tech saavy at all. She came from the iPhone. I told her if it's too much to "play" with, the phone may not be for her. There's a lot of tweaking customizations/ settings to make it your own. It's quite a learning curve. I've had this phone since October and I'm still learning.

The iDevices are very user friendly. Just something you might want to know. Other than that, I'm really enjoying my phone.

I don't understand this. Most Samsung galaxy phones including the note 3 have an easy mode for people who don?t know what to do.

I don't think Android phones are that hard to use at all. Most of it is very intuitive. I think if you know how to use a windows PC you should be able to use an Android phone.

I also think that the Android OS has become a lot more polished now. I still have an ipad so I suppose I'm still in the ecosystem, but I felt more lost when I switched to the 5S this year after using android for 2 years than when I switched to Android 2 years ago after using ios for 3 years. When I switched from ios to Android, it was 9 months before I got an ipad (for the TV shows on itunes). Whereas this time I only lasted 28 days with the iPhone 5S before I sold it and got a note 3.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
A few things I don't understand??? Why do people say iOS is more polished than Android??? While this may have been true a looongg time ago, it is no longer the case. If anything, Apple has gone even further backwards with their iOS 7 update. The funny thing is that it is a nice little rip off of Android to boot. Why do people believe there is a learning curve when using Android. There is only a learning curve if you are worried or scared of the difference. Android is extremely intuitive and can do so much if you just embrace it. As far as the customization is concerned, you can leave it just how it comes out of the box (just like Apple) and only change the wallpaper if you so choose. There is even and easy mode that could in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY make using a smartphone easier!

Didn't read your post but you have said pretty much the same thing as I have.

JellyBeanGurl

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

NJ
I don't understand this. Most Samsung galaxy phones including the note 3 have an easy mode for people who don?t know what to do.

I don't think Android phones are that hard to use at all. Most of it is very intuitive. I think if you know how to use a windows PC you should be able to use an Android phone.

I also think that the Android OS has become a lot more polished now. I still have an ipad so I suppose I'm still in the ecosystem, but I felt more lost when I switched to the 5S this year after using android for 2 years than when I switched to Android 2 years ago after using ios for 3 years. When I switched from ios to Android, it was 9 months before I got an ipad (for the TV shows on itunes). Whereas this time I only lasted 28 days with the iPhone 5S before I sold it and got a note 3.

Just because someone thinks differently about the android os, you guys hop on them? Do you not know we all learn differently at different pace. Get over it. Just because we're not extremely in love with the Android os doesn't mean we're wrong.
We're still entitled to our own opinion.

My friend and husband are not tech saavy. They can barely operate a computer without asking for help. They should stick with the iPhone. You don't have to agree, but it's what I suggested to them.