Galaxy Note 3 - Weird message with battery charger

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm receiving a message each time I plug in my charger which says "Battery charges more quickly if you use original charger" and when powered down reads "The connected charger will take longer to charge. To charge faster, use the original charger and power cord." Further, even after charging an entire night, I only get a 75% charge.

I'm obviously charging using the charger Samsung provided and have also tried different AC switches, but no love.

Any thoughts?

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it thinks it's using USB 2.0 or the voltage is wrong. Wondering if they put the wrong charger in your box.

Have you had this issue since the first day?

Posted via Android Central App

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The stock charger IS USB 2.0; no such thing as a USB 3.0 AC charger. USB 3.0 cable is supplied, but has no effect on AC charger. The only benefit to USB 3.0 is when you connect to a 3.0 USB computer port. It has higher transfer speeds than 2.0 and does support up to 950 ma charging; that's where you would see the difference. The AC charger charges at 2100 ma IIRC, same as most other high speed chargers.

@ the OP, likely a bad cable or a bad charger. Have you rebooted the phone via a battery-pull yet? BlackBerry Z10's had this issue forever and it was eventually resolved through software updates, but this isn't the case here.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The stock charger IS USB 2.0; no such thing as a USB 3.0 AC charger. USB 3.0 cable is supplied, but has no effect on AC charger. The only benefit to USB 3.0 is when you connect to a 3.0 USB computer port. It has higher transfer speeds than 2.0 and does support up to 950 ma charging; that's where you would see the difference. The AC charger charges at 2100 ma IIRC, same as most other high speed chargers.

@ the OP, likely a bad cable or a bad charger. Have you rebooted the phone via a battery-pull yet? BlackBerry Z10's had this issue forever and it was eventually resolved through software updates, but this isn't the case here.

Tried a battery pull but to no avail. Other ideas?

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ya, a few actually. 1st thing I'd try is another USB cable on the stock charger, and if that fails, another charger. I don't believe that the issue is with the phone, but rather the cable or more likely, the charger. Do you have a car charger and if so, does it do it there too? I have tons of USB chargers here - and when I've had issue like this with other devices, I've always gone for another charger 1st. That's usually the cause.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Why bother with 3.0 cable? Is it worth the extra expense to fool people into thinking that it charges quicker? I can charge this battery as quickly (if not quicker) than I could my Razr, which had a considerably smaller battery.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but...

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I might test this. I'm at 65% right now. I'm going to charge using the included charger and time it. When it hits 100%, I'll post the time.
Then, I'll discharge to 65% and try it with a 2.0. Might be tomorrow before I can post the results.

I don't know who will be right. I'm keeping an open mind.

Time starts...NOW.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a retractable USB cord that causes my phone to display this same error message and the phone takes about 6 hours to charge. When I switch to a better USB cord the message disappears and the phone charges normally.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Must be a bad cable for me...after an entire night of chagrin, most I can get is 70%. Heading to verizon this AM to see about getting w new cable and seeing if that fixes the problem. Strange thing is that I did not have this issue when I first bought the phone a couple weeks ago.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So, I've got 79% so it's going to be a little while before I get down to the same level. When I do, I'll get back to the forum.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
It's 10:37 and I'm still only at 92%, so clearly the stock 3.0 charger is faster and therefore takes advantage of 3.0 in some fashion. BTW, the 2.0 charger that I'm using is a stock Samsung model that I've had for awhile. I bought it from eBay for my Razr because it just happened to have a good price at the time. It's now 10:40 and it's at 93%. I mention that only because I have to run some errands and have to disconnect so I can't follow the test to its ultimate conclusion. But it's pretty clear that it would take 2 hours or more to accomplish what the 3.0 charger would accomplish in 1 1/2 hours.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Must be a bad cable for me...after an entire night of chagrin, most I can get is 70%. Heading to verizon this AM to see about getting w new cable and seeing if that fixes the problem. Strange thing is that I did not have this issue when I first bought the phone a couple weeks ago.

PROBLEM SOLVED! Bad cable Went to Verizon and initially they said it's the hardware, "gotta return the phone." I suggested trying a new charger and problem went away. It's a Verizon charger but got it at no cost. Thanks for all the input.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED! Bad cable Went to Verizon and initially they said it's the hardware, "gotta return the phone." I suggested trying a new charger and problem went away. It's a Verizon charger but got it at no cost. Thanks for all the input.

I have had multiple us cables and chargers go bad over time. Luckily I collect new ones every time I buy a new device so when one starts to have issues, in the garbage it goes and a new one comes out of the drawer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

breadmanjp

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. Original charger and cord. Verizon Note 3. Still charges but i get the same message every night. will try exchanging the cord?

catwebb34

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I received the same message. I took the 3 week new phone back to Verizon they gladly replaced it with no answer as to why or what this could be. I have had this new replacement for a week and am getting the message again. I asked Verizon if this was a common problem let said no... I'm using all original equipment, no damage to phone and yet no explanation. I'm almost ready to go back to the dark side with apple.