Note 3: Proximity sensor to automatically turn display on and off during calls not working anymore

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I would try for a replacement or even sell damaged and buy another or different phone - rather than be 'forced' or 'encouraged' to root.
If rooting gives people pleasure with the benefits it provides them, they do so well aware of the work and risks involved.
If a hardware fault has developed on your expensive phone, rooting should not be THE solution.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
just to add something.

My note 3 began to have this problem earlier this year, I tried blowing compressed air and it didn't work. For fear of void the warranty, I did not try to root the phone to edit the script, nor did I disassemble it to clean the sensor. I just used it as is.

Until last month, it magically fixed itself! I didn't do anything special, it just came back to work as normal!

superluminar

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to bring this up again. Anyway. I RMA'd my int. Note 3 (n9005) and they sent it back to me, saying that because I rooted my device they're not willing to repair it under warranty. I called them to ask a few questions, actually, I think I just called to pick a fight since I knew they'd do that. I just don't understand what on earth might possibly be the causality between rooting and a malfunctioning proximity sensor. When it became obvious that the womam from W-Support had no idea what she's actually talking about, I simply put the phone down. Then I did this (I did this only because I knew I couldn't count on my warranty service no more. The methods described above didn't work for me):

-Opened the case and took off battery, s-pen, sim- and sd-card.
-Unscrewed all screws.
-Lifted the back housing plate.
-Removed all connectors with my guitar pick.
-Removed that little black metal plate covering the front facing camera and proximity sensor.
-Carefully lifted the proximty sensor which is also directly connected to the front facing camera.
-Suddenly realized that there must be a disassembly guide on ifixit or smthn.
-Felt incredibly relieved after seeing that I had done everything correctly.
-Took a microfiber cloth and sprayed it with isopropyl alcohol.
-Cleaned the dust from proximity sensor's housing.
-Put everything back on and was happy to have a functioning proximity sensor.

jsreen

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bring this up again. Anyway. I RMA'd my int. Note 3 (n9005) and they sent it back to me, saying that because I rooted my device they're not willing to repair it under warranty. I called them to ask a few questions, actually, I think I just called to pick a fight since I knew they'd do that. I just don't understand what on earth might possibly be the causality between rooting and a malfunctioning proximity sensor. When it became obvious that the womam from W-Support had no idea what she's actually talking about, I simply put the phone down. Then I did this (I did this only because I knew I couldn't count on my warranty service no more. The methods described above didn't work for me):

-Unscrewed all screws.
-Removed that little black metal plate covering the front facing camera and proximity sensor.
-Carefully lifted the proximty sensor which is also directly connected to the front facing camera.

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Easy to do and proximity sensor works fine now. I've changed the way I carry my phone in my pocket. Used to have the speaker/port facing up but I flipped it. I figure any dust getting in the phone is working its way down and getting trapped pretty easily in that sensor area if I keep carrying it like I have.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

jamiejade

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

-Unscrewed all screws.

Thanks for your help. This issue has been bugging me for several months. So I decided to re-read this thread, as I've seen it before. I carefully removed the back cover and followed your instructions. I used a qtip with alcohol and cleaned the sensor and speaker pieces. Careful if you lift the speaker as it is attached to the board on the right side. I liked the idea of using a guitar pick, worked nicely. The black cover pops off easy too, as did lifting the arrow to disconnect sensor from the board.
Anyways thanks for your help. It was simple and it works 100 percent again. My phone is working better than ever with new lollipop 5.0 update and now my sensor is working again. Love it!

Najib Dajani

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you.

I came here because I had the same problem. CPU-Z showed no reading under proximity sensor.

I blew on the earpiece (with my mouth actually) and it immediately changed to 8 cm.

Thanks again

Jawapaul

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi All..... I have had this problem for a few Months now. Nothing can fix it. i.e. The Samsung Note 4 screen goes black straight away during calls whilst phone is down in the hand...... and needs to be woken by button push. Then goes black again..... then must be woken.... then black etc etc. Absolutely drives me crazy when in a call requiring menu response.... also one it is woken, screen often stays lit up, even when against the ear.....causing false screen push by face and settings change or call on hold by skin contact during the call. HELP ?!?!...... I just went back to Samsung Agent, after testing they said it was NOT software but a hardware problem. I was given a brand new Note 4 handset, so went home and replaced all contacts, mssge's and apps using the samsung back/up restore app. The Android Software also needed updating of course also. After just a few hours............ the fault is back !! On the brand new handset ?!! I have no screen protector or cover over the proximity sensor..... There is no dust.... and the proximity sensor works perfectly when tested using #*0#*

What to do ?? I will try anything that helps..... This is getting crazy now.

dilagi12

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Methods that worked for me.
Method 1.
Blow Air it will solve your prob hopefully.

Method 2.
go to samsung code *#0*#. then SENSORS and Read your Proximity sensor values.

<<< DECISION >>>>>
####Calibration isnot needed if ####
your phone doesnt vibrate in normal but does so when u physically put your finger on the Sensor.

#### Calibration needed if ####
your phone is vibrating in this menu no matter what, you put your finger on the sensor or not
Follow these steps
1. download Android Terminal from store
2. type these commands to calibrate automatically
$ su
# echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal
# echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal

Reboot and see if it works.go to *#0*# and check if it continuously vibrating or only does so when you put your finger on the SENSOR.

<<<< IF Continuously Vibrating Follow these steps>>>>

you need to manually put values in ur /efs/prox_cal.it Reads Hexadecimal value. so you have to convert your decimal values into HEX.

##### FIND YOUR Decimal Values and pushing them into /efs/prox_cal ######

Method : finding two values for calibration . offset + normal value.
##.. FINDING OFFSET ######
cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/prox_cal

note down the values it returns.. mine is 5,64,100.. you only need the 1st value which is 5.
### FINDING NORMAL STATE ######

cat /sys/devices/virtual/sensors/proximity_sensor/state
note down the value if returns. mine is 64

now ADD OFFSET value + Normal Value
5 + 64 = 69
Convert in Hexadecimal which is 45.

<<<<<<<<<<< Pushing the value in /efs/prox_cal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

# echo -en $ '\x45' > /efs/prox_cal

then
# chown system:system /efs/prox_cal
# chmod 644 /efs/prox_cal
# sync
# Reboot

All done. after that go to *#0*# then SENSORS and move your finger on the sensor, yout phone will Vibrate only when you put your finger on the sensors.

Manual method worked for me.
ENJOY.

Last edited by a moderator: