Are spare batteries worth the cost? If so...1 or 2 spares? What brand? What adapter?

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I experimented with the 6400 mah anker for a while. . It is a top notch battery all right, but just made the phone ugly and slippery to hold.. There are extended battery cases out there but they just add more bulk to the phone.

I currently have a 6000mah portable battery from anker. .weighs a bit less than the phone and I can keep both in my pocket when I am not using it. .

A spare battery might be more convenient but u do have to recharge more often. . The anker gives almost two full charges and at 2A output the charging time is almost identical as the stock charger.

Posted via Android Central App

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
After looking at external battery options and spare batteries I am going to start with a spare battery option.

After looking at all the spare batteries and options I am going to try Samsung to see how that battery performs and will rotate them to see how that works.

Shopandroid has the Samsung charger and battery.

Samsung Extra 3200mAh Battery Charging System for Galaxy Note 3 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid

That's the route I took, I think you'll be happy with that. You won't have to worry about special backs, whether NFC will work, quality issues. The standard battery has decent capacity but I guess compared with my old Galaxy Nexus anything would. I used to carry around 2-3 of those batteries.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's the route I took, I think you'll be happy with that. You won't have to worry about special backs, whether NFC will work, quality issues. The standard battery has decent capacity but I guess compared with my old Galaxy Nexus anything would. I used to carry around 2-3 of those batteries.
Thanks, that's what I am hoping for. With the 3200mA battery I get a full 1 to 1 1/2 days of use with heavy usage on YouTube, internet radio, just about all my news, etc. So counting on this to keep me powered up and lean 24x7.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
After looking at external battery options and spare batteries I am going to start with a spare battery option.

After looking at all the spare batteries and options I am going to try Samsung to see how that battery performs and will rotate them to see how that works.

Samsung Extra 3200mAh Battery Charging System for Galaxy Note 3 - Android Batteries - ShopAndroid

FYI - the shopandroid "discounted" price is $10 above retail - the regular non-discounted Samsung price. Also, the shopandroid one does not include the travel charger that comes with the genuine Samsung charging kit.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI - the shopandroid "discounted" price is $10 above retail - the regular non-discounted Samsung price. Also, the shopandroid one does not include the travel charger that comes with the genuine Samsung charging kit.
So is the Samsung Web site the better place to buy? Sounds like product authenticity/reliability is a factor as well.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
So is the Samsung Web site the better place to buy? Sounds like product authenticity/reliability is a factor as well.

The Samsung website is definitely the better place to buy. Right now the battery charger is backordered there. At least that's how it shows for me - it may vary by location though. When the s-view case I wanted was backordered on the Samsung site, it only took a week to get in despite the 4 week window they put on any out of stock item. If you need it right away, you could try an authorized reseller.

Edit: The battery charging kits were back in stock a day after I wrote the above.

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I already had 4 spares that were not Samsung but worked great, even the nfc, no problems. I bought the Samsung kit mainly for the charger because the portable wall chargers are horrible. The fact that it came with a Samsung battery was a good bonus.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
When I travel I have one in the phone, one in my pocket, and one in the charger back in the room. I like that setup I never wonder if I won't have a battery to throw in the phone

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Spare batteries is a big reason I will always stay with the note line. Very important to me. Means if I'm low the night before I don't need to put it on charge when it's at 30% for example

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Received my spare Samsung 3200mA battery and charger, it also came with a Samsung Travel Charger. For some reason it took over four hours to charge the battery stand alone in the charger? Not sure if it was because it was the first charge outside of manufacturing or what but four hours is way long. Will see what happens when I charge the original battery in the stand alone charger.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Received my spare Samsung 3200mA battery and charger, it also came with a Samsung Travel Charger. For some reason it took over four hours to charge the battery stand alone in the charger? Not sure if it was because it was the first charge outside of manufacturing or what but four hours is way long. Will see what happens when I charge the original battery in the stand alone charger.

The travel charger doesn't put out nearly as much amperage as the stock charger. I think Samsung cheaped out by charging as much as they do for the spare battery kit but not including a stock 2A charger.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The travel charger doesn't put out nearly as much amperage as the stock charger. I think Samsung cheaped out by charging as much as they do for the spare battery kit but not including a stock 2A charger.

Well, the charging kit (which includes a battery) is only $10 more than a battery alone, so you are paying $10 for the charger (and battery case) and they are basically throwing in the AC adapter for free. I wouldn't expect them to throw in a 2 Amp adapter. I bought the OEM charging kit myself and don't feel ripped off. The travel adapter by the way is 700 mAh and they do clearly state that on the webpage. You can always use the adapter that came with the phone for faster charging.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Another alternative is you can get a 6400 anker battery. This battery holds very well with the note 3. I get two days before the next charge

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Or if not anker 6400 battery. You can get two 3200 batteries from anker for like 24.00$. I have it they are great.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I sneaked in to an electrical yard overnight and stole 16 miles of cable on a reel.
I wish I had thought of it earlier.
Problem solved!

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro