Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ladybell
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging with 3.0 and 2.0 Cable

After some google-ing i learned that you can still use the USB 2.0 cable for data transfer in the Note 3. Is this also applicable for charging? And if it is. Using the wall charger while using USB 3.0 cable, does it charge faster than while using the USB 2.0 cable?

Thanks!
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505), Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Tablet:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (T700) - Sandisk Ultra 32GB

Default Re: Charging with 3.0 and 2.0 Cable

Yes u can use the usb 2.0 cable for charging. It doesnt charge faster if im not mistaken. The voltage of the charging plug is what affects the charging speed not the usb cable.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

You can use either cable but USB 3.0 will charge significantly faster when connected to a computer USB 3.0. It won't make a difference if using the wall charger as long as the USB 2.0 has a proper rating.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    You can use either cable but USB 3.0 will charge significantly faster when connected to a computer USB 3.0. It won't make a difference if using the wall charger as long as the USB 2.0 has a proper rating.
    What do you mean by "proper rating"?
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505), Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Tablet:

Quote Originally Posted by Omer San Gabriel View Post
    What do you mean by "proper rating"?
    Not all usb cables can carry the higher amperage. Some will only charge at 500mAh or less even on a 2 amp charger. Cheap cables are famous for this although there are exceptions. You should look for a rating of 28AWG/24AWG marked on the cable. They will have a better charging rate than the 28/28 cables.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Not all usb cables can carry the higher amperage. Some will only charge at 500mAh or less even on a 2 amp charger. Cheap cables are famous for this although there are exceptions. You should look for a rating of 28AWG/24AWG marked on the cable. They will have a better charging rate than the 28/28 cables.
    Thanks. Main reason of asking this is i'm planing to buy a note 3 and currently i have an S4 which has an USB 2.0 cable. Does the USB 2.0 cable that comes from the S4 is 28AWG/24AWG?
    Phone:

Tablet:

Thanks. Main reason of asking this is i'm planing to buy a note 3 and currently i have an S4 which has an USB 2.0 cable. Does the USB 2.0 cable that comes from the S4 is 28AWG/24AWG?

I don't have an S4 so can't say for sure but I would expect the cable that came with it would be of sufficient quality to pass the full charge.
    Thanked by:

you should be able to search the length of the cable and find the details of the cable . I have attached a pic to help with the visual.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charging with 3.0 and 2.0 Cable-1399482672015.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    Omer San Gabriel likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I don't have an S4 so can't say for sure but I would expect the cable that came with it would be of sufficient quality to pass the full charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybell View Post
    you should be able to search the length of the cable and find the details of the cable . I have attached a pic to help with the visual.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Not quite sure if i read this correctly but i'm seeing AWM 21104 23WGX2C 30AWGX2C etc etc. (Sorry my eyes are starting to hurt.) xD
    Phone:

Tablet:

It might charge faster but when I connected my note 3 using the stock cable to a USB 3.0 port in my computer , I didn't notice any quicker charging. Theoretically you can see up to 900ma on a USB 3.0 port, but the stock charger is 2a anyway so computer charging would most likely be slower than wall outlet.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Here's an example of one of my usb 2.0 cables.

Charging with 3.0 and 2.0 Cable-usb2cable.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It might charge faster but when I connected my note 3 using the stock cable to a USB 3.0 port in my computer , I didn't notice any quicker charging. Theoretically you can see up to 900ma on a USB 3.0 port, but the stock charger is 2a anyway so computer charging would most likely be slower than wall outlet.

The 2Amp wall charger will definitely be faster. That's why I said it wouldn't make a difference if using the wall charger as long as you had the proper quality cable. When using a computer you will get almost twice the charging speed on usb 3.0 vs 2.0. That's assuming your computer's USB 3.0 is a real USB 3.0.

The 2Amp wall charger will definitely be faster. That's why I said it wouldn't make a difference if using the wall charger as long as you had the proper quality cable. When using a computer you will get almost twice the charging speed on usb 3.0 vs 2.0. That's assuming your computer's USB 3.0 is a real USB 3.0.
    Well, my note 3 detects it as usb 3.0 and I can put it in usb 3.0 mode.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Well, my note 3 detects it as usb 3.0 and I can put it in usb 3.0 mode.

There are native USB 3.0 and non-native. There are also low power and high power USB 3.0. They will both detect as USB 3.0 and go into USB 3.0 mode. They will not power external devices the same because they do not have the native power built in to do so.
    FBA
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,465 Global Posts

What he said!!

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

it seems that @jpr knows his stuff!!!