Why is the battery life on my Note 4 low?

nezff

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Ive had my Note 4 for roughly 10 days. I have noticed that the battery life is somewhat no great. Now im not sure if it is good or bad because I only have a iPhone 5 to compare it to. I know this Note 4 has a higher end processor, better display etc.. Im getting about 5 hours-5 hours 15 minutes on screen time. 42% of that is screen time. I always close apps running after Im done with them.

I noticed this morning that I after charging with my fast charger plugged into the wall, that I got 100%. After restarting the phone it went straight to 96% upon restart. I then turned the phone off and charged it from the 96% it was displaying to 100%. I turned the phone back on and it was displaying 96% again. Not sure if this is a software or hardware related problem. If I charge the battery it will go to 100%. unless I restart the phone, it will drain down from the 100% like normal.

any advice? calling Samsung and Amazon this morning.

Update: Talked with Samsung this morning. The Note 4 specialized support stated that the 4% drop from turning the phone off and back on could be "normal". Being as that the device "spikes" its voltage during startup. He explained similar to a overclock if you will.

Last edited:

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ive had my Note 4 for roughly 10 days. I have noticed that the battery life is somewhat no great. Now im not sure if it is good or bad because I only have a iPhone 5 to compare it to. I know this Note 4 has a higher end processor, better display etc.. Im getting about 5 hours-5 hours 15 minutes on screen time. 42% of that is screen time. I always close apps running after Im done with them.

I noticed this morning that I after charging with my fast charger plugged into the wall, that I got 100%. After restarting the phone it went straight to 96% upon restart. I then turned the phone off and charged it from the 96% it was displaying to 100%. I turned the phone back on and it was displaying 96% again. Not sure if this is a software or hardware related problem. If I charge the battery it will go to 100%. unless I restart the phone, it will drain down from the 100% like normal.

any advice? calling Samsung and Amazon this morning.

Update: Talked with Samsung this morning. The Note 4 specialized support stated that the 4% drop from turning the phone off and back on could be "normal". Being as that the device "spikes" its voltage during startup. He explained similar to a overclock if you will.
I see all the posts about bad battery life but I honestly don't understand it. Even before I turned off all the bloat and the Google now stuff I still got absolutely great battery life. I only turned off all the bloat to see if it would help with the recent app button lag. This phone has been almost perfect for me. It gets as good of a signal as any phone I've owned and a lot better battery life than my Droid maxx.
For example today I had 15 hours on battery with 3 hours talk time and 3 hours screen time and still had 78%battery left.
One thing is I always keep my screen on auto bright.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery life on Note 4

Again Chevy those numbers sound too good to be true for any mobile device in 2014 especially with the note 4 that has the most power intensive screen on The planet.

22 percent with 6 hours of use in 15 hrs? I leave my phone on standby and don't touch it for 8 hours at work and am at 75% with 5 mins of screen time. There Must Be Something Your Not Telling us.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I have had my note 4 since Monday and turned off most VZ bloat and my last charge last 47hrs though I was not to active, almost 4 hours screen time which includes Internet, G+, utube, 1 1/2 talk time and an 1hr of podcast listening, and a book or two download. I plugged it in to charge I still had 20%. I have a good VZ signal most areas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Again Chevy those numbers sound too good to be true for any mobile device in 2014 especially with the note 4 that has the most power intensive screen on The planet.

22 percent with 6 hours of use in 15 hrs? I leave my phone on standby and don't touch it for 8 hours at work and am at 75% with 5 mins of screen time. There Must Be Something Your Not Telling us.
that's it theres something im not telling you .....
did you see the screen shots of everything I have disabled?

dklimah

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

I use mine a ton too and my battery life has been good. No different than the N3 or S5. Moderate to heavy use too.
I have been having weird issues though. Was getting an error my spen was detached, when it wasn't, then air command wouldn't come up or make a sound when I detached it. Settings showed it should. I've taken out the Sim and SD card then restarted. So far it's better but next step is a factory reset, I think....unless y'all have a better suggestion.

Kovan Haji

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
my note 4 battery always low so fast, i am not using anything no wifi no nothing, my battery was 100 percent my screen was off, after few hourse it became 95 percent...

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So you are thinking he lost 95 points in a few hours as opposed to 5? It seems fine if the numbers are right and I can't imagine they are reversed. A couple points an hour seems fine given the list of system stuff (some of it crapware) that runs whenever the thing is on. I'd think essential stuff like cell standby would eat that much.

I assumed that there was some loss in translation to English.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Mine is somewhat low as well. I did turnoff widgets being updated every 5 minutes for yahoo sports apps, but not sure what else to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-02-16-37-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-16-37-56.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2014-12-02-16-38-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-02-16-38-04.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 111

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Oh! Trying to see it that way but can't. I guess maybe he'll come back and Brandwin...Android System looks high to me...

Any ideas on why? Has to be something running... not sure what. I mostly get on Fenix, Facebook, Email and Pocketcasts, but the podcasts I listen to are usually downloaded at home on wifi.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

There are SO many individual causes for this. I once found a thread about an app trying to constantly sync a cloud and a local file that led me to find something similar on my Note 3. Have you tried GSAM app to try to isolate the cause?

Any ideas on why? Has to be something running... not sure what. I mostly get on Fenix, Facebook, Email and Pocketcasts, but the podcasts I listen to are usually downloaded at home on wifi.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Another thing you can try is install greenify. See what apps come up in its "Set to hibernate" list.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

There are SO many individual causes for this. I once found a thread about an app trying to constantly sync a cloud and a local file that led me to find something similar on my Note 3. Have you tried GSAM app to try to isolate the cause?
No I haven't. Not even sure what that is. Haha.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Go to play store and type GSAM and you can try greenify too.... I didn't get much from that one but I gave up on it quickly. It may be great.
I didn't have GSAM either when I had my problem but it's got a lot of stuff in it.

No I haven't. Not even sure what that is. Haha.

ILikeAndroid1

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

I seem to be having battery issues too. Today, I had 2 hrs and 47 minutes of screen on time and I was down to 18%. This is frustrating, as when I first got the phone I could get ~4 hours of screen on time before I had to start charging, and it all of a sudden seemed to have gotten worse for no reason. This is basically the same battery life I had on my S4 where I unplugged it in the morning and had to plug it back in again by 9 or 10pm.