Memory card to hard drive?

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a solution for my trip since I will not be bringing a full laptop, but want to back up the many photos I'll be taking (and clearing up memory cards for more shots! :)

I was looking at something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Adapt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4430008
http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Speci...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4430008

Would this work with my Note 4 (or 2013 Nexus 7) to plug in the SD card (or a card reader) and also plug in a SSD drive in external enclosure, then use the android device to transfer FROM card TO hard drive? I imagine I would need a Y-cable for the hard drive to give it power.

Would the above work? Is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Something like that would work fine. Alternatively, you can simply OTG a larger capacity storage device and transfer the files using a file manager via the Note 4.

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Hmm - interesting with the battery built in too. I don't think I otherwise have an interest or need in the wireless capabilities, though.

Does it provide enough power (1.5A) to power your typical external 2.5" drive?
Can it be recharged while providing power? Some either don't have enough ports or simply cannot do them both at once.

It doesn't actually have USB-OTG so I am not sure exactly how you are using it? Are you plugging your SD card into it, plugging external drive into it via USB, then using some wifi android app to control the transfer from card to drive?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It readily handles powering my 1TB portable drive and can be recharged while operating. I access it wirelessly using a RavPower app on my device (I use it with my Note 4. Nexus 7, and TF700T tablet).

I use it a lot with my devices to stream video from a hard drive attached to it. This unit is convenient for that in that it is self-powered and also frees up the microUSB port on my device so it can be on power/charging at the same time as watching video (battery eater). But I also use it to back up photos from my cameras cards to a HD. I haven't actually used the battery to charge a device (another nice feature) other than to test that it works (it does).

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for a solution for my trip since I will not be bringing a full laptop, but want to back up the many photos I'll be taking (and clearing up memory cards for more shots! :)

I was looking at something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Adapt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4431752
Amazon.com: [3-in-1] Inateck 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Micro SD Card Reader Combo Special for Laptops, Ultrabooks, Tablet PCs with USB Ports, Compact USB 3.0 Hub with Micro OTG Adapter for USB 2.0 On-The-Go Compatible Devices Smartphone and Tablets: Co

Would this work with my Note 4 (or 2013 Nexus 7) to plug in the SD card (or a card reader) and also plug in a SSD drive in external enclosure, then use the android device to transfer FROM card TO hard drive? I imagine I would need a Y-cable for the hard drive to give it power.

Would the above work? Is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

On the two devices you indicated, I'd be curious if the Note 4 would recognize two different external storage units connected simultaneously through the OTG. What I have found in the past when experimenting with different hubs is that only one device is seen by Android if multiple are connected - I could never connect two at the same time to see them and transfer files from one to the other. I was trying different file explorers to do it and none would show both. That's why I like the RAVPower device - it has it's own app that allows you to access both an SD card and a USB drive attached to it at the same time.

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
On the two devices you indicated, I'd be curious if the Note 4 would recognize two different external storage units connected simultaneously through the OTG. What I have found in the past when experimenting with different hubs is that only one device is seen by Android if multiple are connected - I could never connect two at the same time to see them and transfer files from one to the other. I was trying different file explorers to do it and none would show both. That's why I like the RAVPower device - it has it's own app that allows you to access both an SD card and a USB drive attached to it at the same time.

I bought the ravpower! :) thanks

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought the ravpower! :) thanks

Great, hope it fits the bill for you.

One trick: You can use the RAVPower Filehub app from the Play Store to access the SD card and USB device connected to the filehub but you can also use a file explorer like ES File Explorer. In ES, you create a new LAN device/server using server address 10.10.10.254 and username admin - then you can access both the SD card and USB device through ES. This has a couple of advantages - the RAVPower app allows you to create new folders on the attached storage devices but it doesn't have a provision to select and delete folders. ES does. Also, you can select all of the files in a folder to transfer from one storage device to the other but you can't select folders themselves - with ES you can. So you can use any other functions within ES to manipulate data on those storage devices, giving you a lot more control and power.

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Great, hope it fits the bill for you.

One trick: You can use the RAVPower Filehub app from the Play Store to access the SD card and USB device connected to the filehub but you can also use a file explorer like ES File Explorer. In ES, you create a new LAN device/server using server address 10.10.10.254 and username admin - then you can access both the SD card and USB device through ES. This has a couple of advantages - the RAVPower app allows you to create new folders on the attached storage devices but it doesn't have a provision to select and delete folders. ES does. Also, you can select all of the files in a folder to transfer from one storage device to the other but you can't select folders themselves - with ES you can. So you can use any other functions within ES to manipulate data on those storage devices, giving you a lot more control and power.

Ah, thanks! Yeah I'll probably use ES Explorer then :)

hg1027

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Why not just get a cable

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-OTG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4434565

And plug your hard drive in to the phone? I use everything from flash drives to 2.5" 500gb drives to keyboards with this cable unpowered, and a 3tb drive powered from the wall. It's great.

Another choice would be a flash drive with micro usb

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-conne...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4434565

This, plus a 128gb card, plus the internal, would be 224gb.

How many pics do you plan to take before you get back to a computer? Also, if you're going somewhere special, why not take an actual camera? My biggest regret from my trips to Sequoia and San Diego.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Why not just get a cable

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-OTG...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4434600

And plug your hard drive in to the phone? I use everything from flash drives to 2.5" 500gb drives to keyboards with this cable unpowered, and a 3tb drive powered from the wall. It's great.

Another choice would be a flash drive with micro usb

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-conne...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4434600

This, plus a 128gb card, plus the internal, would be 224gb.

How many pics do you plan to take before you get back to a computer? Also, if you're going somewhere special, why not take an actual camera? My biggest regret from my trips to Sequoia and San Diego.

In my own case I am using a DSLR and I want to back up/transfer the pictures from the camera's SD card to a hard drive at the end of each day while on a trip and I want to leave the laptop at home. In the past, I did use just a cable, card reader, and HD separately but that meant transferring from the card to my Android device and then to the HD. The RAVPower allows me to transfer directly from the SD to the HD, just using the Android device as the UI controller, not as an intermediate storage point. And I still have the microUSB port free to charge my device at the same time.

kaitlyn2004

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm so I got my portable drive and ravpower all setup and tested today and when using ES File Explorer, it was transferring at about 2MB/s. Through the filehub app it was definitely faster, but it did not indicate the speed.

Is there something ES File Explorer is doing differently? Any way I can have it work at the same speed? I suspect/wonder if it is actually transferring THROUGH my phone with ES...

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm so I got my portable drive and ravpower all setup and tested today and when using ES File Explorer, it was transferring at about 2MB/s. Through the filehub app it was definitely faster, but it did not indicate the speed.

Is there something ES File Explorer is doing differently? Any way I can have it work at the same speed? I suspect/wonder if it is actually transferring THROUGH my phone with ES...

Yeah, I think ES moves it through the phone as opposed to the app transfer which is very fast. Depending on what I am doing, I use one or the other - if I want to just grab a folder from device and move it to the other and there is no rush, ES is easy but for quick transfer, doing a select-all and transfer with the app to the other device is extremely fast. I just moved 150MB of RAW image files from an SD card to a HDD with the app in just over 20 seconds.