Uneven sound from the headphone jack?

Finyon

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi all -

I recently purchased a Note 4 and it's been great. The only issue so far I've run into is the sound from my headphone jack. The left side seems to be louder than the right, especially with vocals. I've tried two pairs of headphones and both have this issue, so I believe the problem is the phone. Is there a potential solution to this issue? I have no idea if it's a hardware or software issue, but I'm reluctant to factory reset because I don't want to download all my stuff again. I use Google Play Music mostly, but the problem occurs in other apps such as YouTube as well.

So far I have been using the balance adjuster in "Accessibility" to solve the issue but it has distorted the sound and created some other issues. I would like to find a real solution.

If anyone can help me, or direct me to a relevant thread that would be great! I've only found threads where the sound doesn't come out on side at all so far, not where it only partly comes out. Thank you!

Cheers,
- Ryan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! Make sure there isn't any debris in the jack. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, or use a damp toothpick to root around.

Finyon

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!

I attempted both of these things to no avail. I sent the phone to Samsung but unfortunately the previous owner voided the warranty doing whatever, so that was useless.

For whatever reason putting the sound balance all the way to the left corrects the issue (but all the way to the right does not?). The only issue is I have to set it to normal when I use bluetooth or it sounds funny. This is quite a peculiar issue and I've never seen something like it before.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That is strange. Have you done a clean wipe and reset of the phone? I would do that to make sure it's not a software glitch. Beyond that it's probably a jack issue or a hardware issue-amplifier is buggy. Not much you can do if it's hardware. If you bought it on ebay or Swappa contact the seller.

Also, you can take come contact cleaner, put it on a q-tip and stick it int he headphone jack and clean that. Might be worth a shot. Deoxit5 is one of the best contact cleaners.