battery bloated after Marshmallow update...coincidence?

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So the day after I updated to Marshmallow, my phone started to turn off by itself. Wouldn't even turn on when I pressed the power button. So I checked the battery and found that it had bloated. Battery is exactly 9 months old. Weird that it happened right after the update. Coincidence? Well, I had another spare, replaced it, and will update on how it goes. Did this happen to anybody else?

Last edited:

Daniel Ferrara

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Holy &$#@, this happened to me yesterday, but I haven't been able to update to marshmallow yet. Actually, I have the note 7, but decided to update the note 4 to go back to it due to the recall. Started charging it, then all off a sudden the back cover started popping off... Battery was all swollen! I threw it away, put in an older one and it's fine. I just ordered a new one from AC.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Battery is exactly 9 months old.
Is this the original battery? I had one from Amazon (seller Samsung) that expanded after about 8 months. Might have been fake. I threw it away.

I just ordered a new one from AC.
I know you needed it like, right now, but sometimes AC runs a 1-day sale on the Note 4 battery for $16.95. The last sale was about a week ago and it was for $15.95. They run it often, so you gotta watch for it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So the day after I updated to Marshmallow, my phone started to turn off by itself. Wouldn't even turn on when I pressed the power button. So I checked the battery find that it had bloated. Battery is exactly 9 months old. Weird that it happened right after the update. Coincidence? Well, I had another spare, replaced it, and will update on how it goes. Did this happen too anybody else?

Upgrades run the CPU and storage pretty hard, and tend to make phones warm. If your battery had any weaknesses, it's possible that the stress of supporting the upgrade just turned out to be too much for it.

Obviously, do not use that battery, or you run a significant risk of getting one of the features of the Note 7 - the "Firestarter" feature.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Holy &$#@, this happened to me yesterday, but I haven't been able to update to marshmallow yet. Actually, I have the note 7, but decided to update the note 4 to go back to it due to the recall. Started charging it, then all off a sudden the back cover started popping off... Battery was all swollen! I threw it away, put in an older one and it's fine. I just ordered a new one from AC.

OK, it's usually not the battery but something else causing repeated processor access. The two times it happened to me were because of incorrect MS Exchange server addresses ( and that was clearly indicated in the battery usage stats) and the other was my GPS antenna couldn't find the satellite and tried all day and all night, the phone was hot and the battery expanded. These both were with the Note 2 but I have a Note 4 now.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible that fast charging is screwing up these phone batteries? I charge with an Anker wall socket charger and it's fine. I have the new fast charger 2A charger but I rather stick to the slow charge.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible that fast charging is screwing up these phone batteries? I charge with an Anker wall socket charger and it's fine. I have the new fast charger 2A charger but I rather stick to the slow charge.

The faster you charge a battery, the more accumulated wear and tear you put on the battery per charge. It really has to do with heat. The technical answer is - If you want the battery to last the longest possible time before replacement, charge it as slowly as you have time for.

Having said that, the incremental increase in wear and tear from 2A fast charge is very small, and even using actual QuickCharge is pretty minimal, so if you are buying good-quality batteries just plug the darned thing in when it's convenient and use whatever charge method you want. Our phones have replaceable batteries, which is probably why many of us are still carrying them. We are free from the worry about all that nonsense, because for $20 we can buy a good-quality replacement battery and 5 minutes later be enjoying that "new phone" battery life.

Of course, if you buy the eBay $5 batteries, charge those things slowly. Always. Some of them are of equivalent quality to OEM. Some are unstable pieces of garbage that will go Thermite the first time you throw 12V at them. There's only one way to find out which are which, really, and after you have found a bad one good luck finding a replacement Note 4 on swappa, assuming you were able to put out the fire and not looking for a new home.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What about Anker or PowerBear as a replacement?
Anker has a good reputation here, and they also have good support. I've never heard mention of PowerBear here, but then again, I don't read every single battery thread.

I tend to go with OEM batteries. They're more expensive than Anker, but I don't mind. I mentioned in post #3 that AC frequently runs a 1-day sale on Samsung OEM batteries... it's on right now for $15.95. I'll probably pick a few up today myself.