6.0.1 update killed my note? Rebooting and performance issues galore.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

I've loved my Note 4 so much that I essentially told myself I won't need to update in 2 years for the first time, ever, unless my phone dies of course. Maybe I spoke too soon. Other than having to get a new battery, the note 4 has been awesome for the last 2 years. Until I got the 6.0 / 6.0.1 update. Since then, I've had incredibly bad performance issues, freezing and rebooting.

So I said I'm reasonably smart at this stuff, let me figure this out. Did some research online and saw people with similar issues. I did a cache wipe. Still had problems. Tried the 2 batteries I had to make sure that wasn't the issue. Performance kept getting worse, to the point where I had trouble keeping the phone on. Then I had issues with it getting into recovery mode or even simply powering it on.

I drove over to AT&T to see if there was something they could do and they told me to go to Samsung. While at Samsung, I was only able to get my phone booted once and it shut off after 2-3 minutes while the gentlemen was trying to help. I headed home thinking I'll figure out a way to get in there. I was finally able to do a factory reset and performance appears to be better, but unfortunately I'm still having random reboot issues.

This is incredibly frustrating knowing that AT&T or Samsung have almost bricked my phone into an unusable frustratingly piece of technology with an update. Although I think my phone is now 2 years old, I planned to keep it until it fell apart. Do I have any recourse with AT&T or Samsung? I'm fairly certain the phone is out of warranty. Do you have other suggestions as to what I could possibly do myself? Any other tips or tricks or maybe something I'm missing? Call me crazy, because I would have never said this before, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $800+ on a new phone at the moment. So that's the pickle I'm in.

Thoughts? I appreciate you guys reading this and any input. Thanks again. -Jeff

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset uses the firmware that's already on the phone. If the firmware is corrupt, the reset won't fix the issue, but reinstalling the firmware might.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset uses the firmware that's already on the phone. If the firmware is corrupt, the reset won't fix the issue, but reinstalling the firmware might.

Gotcha. Thank you sir. I will give that a shot first to see if that helps. I really appreciate the help!

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey Diddy.

I've hit a few snags and wondering if you have any suggestions.

I went into 2 Best Buy's and they were almost no help. One said my phone froze their laptop. So I went to the Samsung service Center in LA. They couldn't get it to take a new flash either. Samsung also blamed ATT for the update issue and mentioned it was a common issue.

So then I tried connecting it to Smart Switch but it won't let me initialize to check firmware. I then load the phone into downloading mode using Smart Switch and it says the device is not supported. I can try Odin, but when I go to SamMobile, I cannot find software for my model, SM-N910A. Supposedly ATT doesn't like to release their software. So I think I'm SOL.

So I'm about to grab a beer and throw it off a bridge somewhere as it feels like I'm hitting every hurdle. Doesn't help that I'm not too too familiar with the roms and loading software on phones.

Any other suggestions? Thanks you for your help sir!

Last edited:

CallMeDread

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I would have to say that this is a Samsung issue unless Sprint and ATT are working together to kill all of our Note4s. I am beyond irritated at this point and at the end of my rope trying to fix this issue.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I would have to say that this is a Samsung issue unless Sprint and ATT are working together to kill all of our Note4s. I am beyond irritated at this point and at the end of my rope trying to fix this issue.

I am as well. I refuse to buy another Samsung product. Not just phone, anything Samsung. Just pulled the trigger on a $855 dollar Pixel XL. hurts, but at leat tI'll get updates and tons of support I'd imagine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senkajo