question about first charge?

hughie1987

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I got my Note 5 today and it came at 30% new out of the box at the store, and wondering if I need to let it die first or I can charge it? its at 19% and I was thinking about plugging it in. This is my first Note, Ive had an s4 since it came out :D

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I heard it's not great to let it get to 0%. I'd say plug it in. Around 20% is when I plug mine in.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Anytime i buy a new phone i dont let the store set it up or turn it on instead i take it home and take it out the box. Then i plug it up for about 4hrs before i turn it on then turn it on and use it till it gets down till 10-15% and charge it back up till i wake up and repeat this for a few weeks and notice on my previous phones it made a huge improvement in battery life but with the note 5 i havent seen a difference and i been doing deep cycle charging for almost 2 weeks now.
That's too much. You've probably ruined your battery by draining it excessively for 2 weeks.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
That makes no sense how u expect one to charge the phone all the time at 50% when we need the phone to work all day and the battery by 10hrs or less is down at 10%?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes i did and 99% of people with phones dont plug there phones up at 40% thats ridiculous and these batteries these days dont really need to be calibrated from my understanding.

dedhedAndy

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Anytime i buy a new phone i dont let the store set it up or turn it on instead i take it home and take it out the box. Then i plug it up for about 4hrs before i turn it on then turn it on and use it till it gets down till 10-15% and charge it back up till i wake up and repeat this for a few weeks and notice on my previous phones it made a huge improvement in battery life but with the note 5 i havent seen a difference and i been doing deep cycle charging for almost 2 weeks now.

How can you tell there's no difference? The Note 5 is two weeks old. What are you comparing it to?
IMHO That is all way too much to worry about with a brand new phone. Just charge it up when it's dead. People obsess way too much about batteries.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes i did and 99% of people with phones dont plug there phones up at 40% thats ridiculous and these batteries these days dont really need to be calibrated from my understanding.

Rukbat has a lot of knowledge on batteries. He didn't say in the link that you have to always charge it at 40%.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Charge the battery full (100% plus 30 minutes). Use the phone until the phone tells you to charge the battery. (If you can't right then, swap in the spare.) Charge it to 100% again. Do 3 full cycles of full charge, wait for the warning to charge. After than you can drop it to 40% before charging. (Charging it when it doesn't need to be charged is just wasting time and power.)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Charge the battery full (100% plus 30 minutes). Use the phone until the phone tells you to charge the battery. (If you can't right then, swap in the spare.) Charge it to 100% again. Do 3 full cycles of full charge, wait for the warning to charge. After than you can drop it to 40% before charging. (Charging it when it doesn't need to be charged is just wasting time and power.)

Yes, I know, I have read his battery write up before and his discussions of it.

I'm curious.. With everything you have asked us about battery, and many have shared their knowledge with you, you never agree with any of it. What is it that you are wanting us to tell you?

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I use to OCD charge my new (first charge ever) battery to 100%, then let it drain to 0. Zero proof/evidence that did anything at all. Then I realized how stupid I was doing that. It's 2015, batteries have come a long way since the old NiCad days.

Just use your phone man.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
So your telling me you are following his procedure? He is 72yrs old and probably has all the time in the world to plug his phone in the charger every time it goes to 40% but we have jobs etc and dont have time to keep plugging our phones in the charger at 40% or bring our charger with us all the time! His post is ridiculous! Hey guys try to never let your phone get below 40%.... Seriously?!? 99% of people in the world im sure dont charge there phones at 40%.

He states= You use the phone until it tells you to charge the battery, right? Wrong. Try to never (except, as you'll see later, during conditioning*) let the battery get below 40% charge. Letting it get below 50% is where the lifespan starts dropping. 40% won't shorten the life enough to matter. 20%? Half the life. 5%? The battery probably won't last a year.

These are new batteries and they aren't how they were years ago and don't need calibrations i guess i just got use to doing my method from years ago but honestly i should stop cause it shouldn't matter its 2015.

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I got my Note 5 today and it came at 30% new out of the box at the store, and wondering if I need to let it die first or I can charge it? its at 19% and I was thinking about plugging it in. This is my first Note, Ive had an s4 since it came out :D
I charge it to 100% before I use the phone for the first time then charge it whenever is convenient for me. Usually at night with the battery pretty low. So yes I think you should plug it in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So your telling me you are following his procedure? He is 72yrs old and probably has all the time in the world to plug his phone in the charger every time it goes to 40% but we have jobs etc and dont have time to keep plugging our phones in the charger at 40% or bring our charger with us all the time! His post is ridiculous! Hey guys try to never let your phone get below 40%.... Seriously?!? 99% of people in the world im sure dont charge there phones at 40%.

He states= You use the phone until it tells you to charge the battery, right? Wrong. Try to never (except, as you'll see later, during conditioning*) let the battery get below 40% charge. Letting it get below 50% is where the lifespan starts dropping. 40% won't shorten the life enough to matter. 20%? Half the life. 5%? The battery probably won't last a year.

These are new batteries and they aren't how they were years ago and don't need calibrations i guess i just got use to doing my method from years ago but honestly i should stop cause it shouldn't matter its 2015.

Yeah, there are many times I charge it at 40%.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Rechargable batteries are higher tech than the first generation nickel-cadmium did have these types of requirements to get the longest life and performance but that was a long time ago. The newer technology that are used in phones are lithium-ion and, regardless of all the comments from internet hardware engineers, they do not require you to "fully charge the first time" or "do not take it to 0%" or "do not keep it plugged in or it will ruin the battery"....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind this guide was written about maximizing battery life, not describing the battery abusive habits that most people still have. Under IDEAL conditions, you should keep the battery between 40% and 80% as long as you can. If you have to choose between falling below 40% and charging, charging should get the nod. It is not a matter of NEVER letting the battery fall below 40%, it is describing the damage that doing so over and over does to the longevity of the battery capacity. This guide is about raising awareness for optimization - it isn't meant to be a bible and certainly isn't meant for people to get angry about because the optimal technique isn't as easy as just letting it die all the time. If you have a different guide that you would like to submit, please do so.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A few links for further reading:
Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

To quote Wikipedia:
On average, lifetimes consist of 1000 cycles,[SUP][104][/SUP] although battery performance is rarely specified for more than 500 cycles. This means that batteries of mobile phones, or other hand-held devices in daily use, are not expected to last longer than three years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Charge_and_discharge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87