Samsung/Android Pay...

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Google Wallet? I'm assuming SamPay is only for Sam phones, but beyond that, what's the difference? Is one better (safer) than the other?

Posted via the Android Central App

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
When it comes to tap and pay there is little difference. All are using NFC to talk to the terminal. Samsung pay adds one more method of payment the others don't have. It can emulate a card swipe for those terminals that do not support tap and pay. So you can use Samsung at almost any place that accepts credit cards.

Posted using my Verizon crippled Note 5.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
What's the difference between Samsung Pay, Android Pay, and Google Wallet? I'm assuming SamPay is only for Sam phones, but beyond that, what's the difference? Is one better (safer) than the other?

Posted via the Android Central App

So basically both of them (Android Pay and Samsung Pay) use NFC as a payment technology. However, Samsung adds older technology so you can use it at almost any terminal accepting credit card. While this is an advantage to start off...over time this will become less of an advantage as more and more vendors upgrade their credit card terminals which will have NFC.

Another draw back of Samsung Pay is that it will only work with Samsung devices, while Android Pay will work with any device that has Android. So you can change your phones and still have all your Android Pay detail on new phone from a different manufacturer.

Finally, Google wallet on the other hand now is only for payments from one person to other, etc. While they could have kept that functionality in the same app...I think they did that so people can download Google wallet on phones with other operating systems (Apple ios). While Android Pay wont work on anything other than Android, you can download Google wallet on other systems. Atleast thats my understanding and why I think its a separate app.

Hope this helps!

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Brilliant question by the original poster. I've wondered the same thing. Albeit, I'm still nervous about using any type of 'device' payment. I'm slowly warming to the idea...

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to ditch Android Pay. You must use a PIN for unlocking your phone to use it which means no fingerprints. Seems stupid because Android M and the 2015 Nexi support fingerprints. I moved my accounts to US Bank and everything should arrive next week. For Note 5 users Samsung Pay seems like a better more well integrated solution. I used SoftCard until it shut down and it was far superior to Wallet. Google should just give up on mobile payments.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I use my personal bank's Wallet app! When I log on to my own bank's app, my credit and debit cards show up. All I need to do is select a card and tap my phone and I'm done. If a terminal has tap technology, then I can pay using my phone; over 75% of the retailers in Canada use the tap to pay technology. I would much rather use my bank's app, which I already used for mobile banking, then a third party app...

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I use my personal bank's Wallet app! When I log on to my own bank's app, my credit and debit cards show up. All I need to do is select a card and tap my phone and I'm done. If a terminal has tap technology, then I can pay using my phone; over 75% of the retailers in Canada use the tap to pay technology. I would much rather use my bank's app, which I already used for mobile banking, then a third party app...

Yep. I think there's going to be a number of options for consumers which is good. Personally I don't want just one way, I do want options.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I think there's going to be a number of options for consumers which is good. Personally I don't want just one way, I do want options.

Short of using your own bank's Wallet app... Every other option out there leads back to the source, which is your bank (in reference to using your bank card, not a pre paid visa etc). There is so much anticipation, hype, and excitement over using Apple pay or Android pay or Samsung pay when all they do is take the money out of your bank debit or bank credit card. My choice is not to give more people than necessary information to charge my bank accounts when my own bank has it already in place. Why order food from a waiter if the chef is standing right there in front of you? :)