I can use my VZW Note 5 on AT&T 4G LTE network... but why couldn't I do it on my old Note 3 and 4?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I can use my VZW Note 5 on AT&T 4G LTE network... but why couldn't I do it on my old Note 3 and 4?

I have been using my Verizon Note 5 with AT&T SIM Card for a few days. It can access AT&T's 4G LTE network(with the 4G logo showing up next to the signal bars). If I'm in the downtown area, I get around 23mbps down and 5mbps up, which is comparable to Verizon's 4G network.

My question is.... what did Samsung add to the Note 5 that allowed this? I took the same AT&T SIM Card and put it in my old Note 3 and Note 4 and they could only pick up AT&T's HSPA+ frequency. If I put the same SIM card back into the Verizon Note 5, it immediately picks up AT&T's 4G LTE. The APN settings for AT&T are identical on all three Note phones.

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: I can use my VZW Note 5 on AT&T 4G LTE network... but why couldn't I do it on my old Note 3 and

Check the cellular 4G LTE bands on the Note 3 and 4. AT&T current bands are 2,4, and 17. VZR current bands are 2,4,13. It could be that bands 2 and 4 are not available in your area.

This is the reason why I bought a AT&T Note 5 for $40 more to use on AT&T network even though all VZW phone are unlocked.

EDIT: according to VZW website the Note 4 only has bands 4 and 13 so AT&T must be using band 2 in your area.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: I can use my VZW Note 5 on AT&T 4G LTE network... but why couldn't I do it on my old Note 3 and

Check the cellular 4G LTE bands on the Note 3 and 4. AT&T current bands are 2,4, and 17. VZR current bands are 2,4,13. It could be that bands 2 and 4 are not available in your area.

This is the reason why I bought a AT&T Note 5 for $40 more to use on AT&T network even though all VZW phone are unlocked.

EDIT: according to VZW website the Note 4 only has bands 4 and 13 so AT&T must be using band 2 in your area.

thanks! that makes sense. :) I guess my old Note 3 and Note 4 just don't have band 2.

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

thanks! that makes sense. :) I guess my old Note 3 and Note 4 just don't have band 2.
you can use app called LTE Discovery to see what band you're using in different areas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

you can use app called LTE Discovery to see what band you're using in different areas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I installed that app on my Verizon Note 5.

When I use a VZW SIM, it reports LTE Band 2.

When I take the VZW SIM out and insert the AT&T SIM, it also reports LTE Band 2.

So I guess as long as I'm in AT&T service area with bands 2 or 4, my Verizon Note 5 will pick up AT&T LTE service. :)

Tony Griffie

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

did you have to change any of you apn setting to get lte on your note 5.

adam costa

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

What apn settings? I've tried about a dozen and none seem to work for me...