Stuck at 50% and won't turn on

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
After much comparison with the Note 5 and LG V10, I ordered the Note 5 and it was delivered today. I plugged it in to charge it, and it said 50%. 2 hours later I try to turn it on and it won't. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it still said 50%.

I can't even get it to turn on now. I hold the power button and nothing.

Any thoughts, or should I just ship it back and go for the V10? If this thing is broke, brand new out of the box, I'm not even giving Samsung another chance.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I got it to turn on by holding the power button and volume down, but it shuts off as soon as it boots up, or you unplug the charger. Battery still says 50% and won't move. It's whacked. I was looking forward to giving this phone a shot, but we're off to a bad start. The Verizon store didn't have any in stock so I will have them send another.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to update this post in case someone else has this issue, but apparently I'm the only one because no one replied!

I'm thinking the battery was totally dead. But, I don't know why it reported 50% when I plugged it in, but explains why it stayed at 50% for so long. I got it to turn on by holding volume down and the power button. The odd thing is, it would shut off as soon as I removed it from the charger.

So I left it plugged in and it finally started to charge, and now everything is good. I may still swap it out for another one, but for now everything seems fine.

Carly14367

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
My note 5 just started doing the same thing and my year warranty was up 2 weeks ago. I had a new battery put in it and the original battery was swollen but my phone still won't say anything other 50% charged and it dies as soon as it boots. Still trying to find a way to fix it because the deductible is $200. I didn't even do anything to damage the phone and it even still looks new out the box. I'm lost on it...