Help! How do you turn off "Screen Overlay???"

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
How do you turn off "Screen Overlay???"
I just get that every time I'm giving Facebook permission to access my camera. I can't find the app or how to disable it... If not it won't let me take pictures. Someone knows how to?

Dalo3ah15

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I just get that every time I'm giving Facebook permission to access my camera. I can't find the app or how to disable it... If not it won't let me take pictures. Someone knows how to?

Am facing the same problem and don't know how to solve???

Last edited by a moderator:

Melamont

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi. I have had this problem. Here's how to access the screen where you turn it off.

1. From your home page go to Main Settings by pulling down the Notification Bar and clicking on the Settings icon at the top right of the screen. (it's gear shaped)
2. Scroll down the Settings menu, and click on Applications under the Phone section about two thirds down the page.
3. At the top of this new menu click on "Applications Manager".
4. In the top right corner of the Applications Manager menu click on "More"
5. Now a click on "Draw over Other Applications"
6. Scroll down this menu and find the offending application, in this example "Facebook"
7. Click on the button to the right of your offending application to deselect it.
8. Close out of the Settings menus.

NOTE: Alternately, deselect all the applications under step 8 except those you know pop up over other applications such as messaging, for example.

That should fix your problem. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

texoz

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
After days of working on this I finally figured it out. You need to be able to access Developer Options under settings. Then uncheck the option to leave your screen always on while charging. Problem solved.
If you don't have developer options enabled on your phone, go to settings and then about your phone and keep tapping on the build number until you have enabled developer options

Napier31778

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I went into Developer Options as you instructed. Stay Awake was already off when the screen opened. Are you saying that it should be turned ON or OFF? There is nothing to check on mine as I have the slider option to choose On or Off. It sounds like you're saying to make sure this option is Off. I just want to verify though. I'm getting this message on nearly every application. I found Draw Overy Other Apps under More in Applications and turned EVERYTHING off already. I was really hoping your instructions would work as turning everything off as not helped me at all!! Thanks in advance for your time & consideration!!

billyhousemover

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Did not work on mine. 2nd level tech support from Verizon had no clue! Told me to do a factory reset. Told him to bite me! Getting note 7 as soon as possible... Which is why they screwed our phones up with the last update!!

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
For me, it was an app causing the pop up. More specifically Velis Auto Brightness. Once I uninstalled it I never had the "screen overlay" issue again.

From my Platinum Gold Note 5

billyhousemover

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I put the phone in safe mode and was able to make overlay changes then restarted phone and it worked. I need to get a tech job at Verizon. Three different techies and no one suggested that!

John Bailey5

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

Had same problem. If you have any chat "bubbles" open, just close them. It's that simple.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Also if you are running an app like Twilight (simulates the same functionality as Blue Light Filter on the Note 7) you will need to pause it for some actions (usually popped up for me when I added a new app that needed some permission adjustment.)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
How do turn off system overlay on my LG phon

Guessing that this is the same thing as on Samsung phones, you need to find out what app is triggering this notification, In my case it was Twilight (a blue light filter app), all you had to do was pause it prior to installing the new app, then un-pause it after. You may find more LG specific help in the forum for your particular device. :)

Cheers,
BR

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this a question related to the screen overlay problem? If so, have you tried the solutions suggested in this thread?