I Really REALLY Love This Phone

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Having had my S3 for almost two years, it was time to get a new phone. The Edge Screen in and of itself is absolutely a must have fkr clean freaks like me. I like a super clean home screen and love the fact that all the apps are readily available.

Holding the phone with one hand; you actually get used to it. I am able to actually text with one hand with no problems at all. Camera controls are in the right spot as well as all the functions to operate it. I now have my UAG case on it and let me say this. It makes gripping the phone even easier. The phone is protected equivalent to an Otterbox Case and you have complete access to the Edge Screen with no hindrance. Highly highly recommend this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see this quirky phone is quickly becoming a favorite. The original Note raised a few eyebrows, and well, we all know the rest of the story :) Maybe this will spark a new phone trend.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Having had my S3 for almost two years, it was time to get a new phone. The Edge Screen in and of itself is absolutely a must have fkr clean freaks like me. I like a super clean home screen and love the fact that all the apps are readily available.

Holding the phone with one hand; you actually get used to it. I am able to actually text with one hand with no problems at all. Camera controls are in the right spot as well as all the functions to operate it. I now have my UAG case on it and let me say this. It makes gripping the phone even easier. The phone is protected equivalent to an Otterbox Case and you have complete access to the Edge Screen with no hindrance. Highly highly recommend this phone.

From pictures the UAG case looks a little much for me. Maybe it is just the pictures. I like a case that accents the phone rather than transforms the look. For now I ordered a cheap $10 case If found on-line and will hope for a higher quality case in the future.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
From pictures the UAG case looks a little much for me. Maybe it is just the pictures. I like a case that accents the phone rather than transforms the look. For now I ordered a cheap $10 case If found on-line and will hope for a higher quality case in the future.

Like you I don't want anything that changes the look and identification of the phone.

I prefer to use and carry my phone "naked" but I will purchase one or two thin profile cases for those rare occasions when I'm somewhere I think the phone may need a little protection.

However, when I'm no longer in the situation the case comes off and I'm back to using the phone in its bare state.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Congratulations. The Edge is an amazing device, and like the original Note I believe Samsung has a winner on their hands and it won't be long before other OEM's begin to make similar devices.

Like was the case with the use of the s-pen for me with the original Note, I cannot go back to a non s-pen phone. Based on my use of the Edge panel it would be hard for me at this point to use a phone without a side panel.

For this reason my Note 4 has not been used in two weeks since I purchased the Note Edge. Nothing wrong with the Note 4, but without a side panel it feels like using any other phone.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Like everyone else I heard/saw all the negative previews of the phone.....no left hand use, side panel gets in the way,,hard to use one handed,,,,blah,,,blah,,,,,blah. Being hard-headed I ordered mine the first available date and have been pleased ever since. I truly enjoy the side panel and being able to set it to my liking. Plus gets rid of the clutter I hated at the bottom of the display. Plus my hands are big enough to be able to accomplish almost all task with one hand. I believe we will be seeing some copy-cat versions real soon. :cool:

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations. The Edge is an amazing device, and like the original Note I believe Samsung has a winner on their hands and it won't be long before other OEM's begin to make similar devices.

Like was the case with the use of the s-pen for me with the original Note, I cannot go back to a non s-pen phone. Based on my use of the Edge panel it would be hard for me at this point to use a phone without a side panel.

For this reason my Note 4 has not been used in two weeks since I purchased the Note Edge. Nothing wrong with the Note 4, but without a side panel it feels like using any other phone.

Real world reviews are awesome. I too have the Note 4, and after 1 hour of playing with Note Edge, I'm in love as well.

The Note 4 beats other phablets with the S-Pen. The Note Edge beats the Note 4 with the additional display. Innovation at its finest.

I am very disappointed with the highly biased and negative Note Edge review on this site... they should hire a real Android enthusiast and gadget lover to write reviews, not the poor review they put on this site.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Real world reviews are awesome. I too have the Note 4, and after 1 hour of playing with Note Edge, I'm in love as well.

The Note 4 beats other phablets with the S-Pen. The Note Edge beats the Note 4 with the additional display. Innovation at its finest.

I would have to disagree. I see no interest in the Edge so for me the Note 4 is the next best thing. The little things the Edge can do with that little extra screen aren't worth it to me.

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree. I see no interest in the Edge so for me the Note 4 is the next best thing. The little things the Edge can do with that little extra screen aren't worth it to me.

Have you played with one?

Virtually everyone who has one loves it. I love it even though I love my Note 4 also.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you played with one?

Virtually everyone who has one loves it. I love it even though I love my Note 4 also.

Yeah but I wouldn't use those things on the screen. It is almost like I would have to go out of my way to use it .. whereas I am fine with how the Note 4 handles it.

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but I wouldn't use those things on the screen. It is almost like I would have to go out of my way to use it .. whereas I am fine with how the Note 4 handles it.

It is a change in behavior... which not everyone will adapt to... just like the S-Pen... but those who are willing to embrace change and exploit the benefits, it is really useful.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is a change in behavior... which not everyone will adapt to... just like the S-Pen... but those who are willing to embrace change and exploit the benefits, it is really useful.

I could almost agree but then I see the price hike and .. that kind of hike for that small change seems eh. If it was the same price I would be more inclined to agree.

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I could almost agree but then I see the price hike and .. that kind of hike for that small change seems eh. If it was the same price I would be more inclined to agree.
I hear you.
It is $100 more, but same with iPhone 6 and Plus... $100 more for a bigger iPhone screen (and no added functionality to boot!). So in comparison, the added price hike is well justified since you do get bigger screen area with added functionality.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I hear you.
It is $100 more, but same with iPhone 6 and Plus... $100 more for a bigger iPhone screen (and no added functionality to boot!). So in comparison, the added price hike is well justified since you do get bigger screen area with added functionality.

Actually the 6+ has extra functions in some apps (messages, mail, CNN, more 3rd party apps can program it in, etc.) and the camera has OIS versus the 6 not having it. Also bigger battery. While I agree .. not anything super crazy additional but for some OIS may be helpful.

previous2pre

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually the 6+ has extra functions in some apps (messages, mail, CNN, more 3rd party apps can program it in, etc.) and the camera has OIS versus the 6 not having it. Also bigger battery. While I agree .. not anything super crazy additional but for some OIS may be helpful.

Ironically, a lot of that extra functionality was ripped off from Samsung. I have a Note 2 with all of those extra features that the iPhone 6 plus has (in terms of landscape view vs portrait view)... hah!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ironically, a lot of that extra functionality was ripped off from Samsung. I have a Note 2 with all of those extra features that the iPhone 6 plus has (in terms of landscape view vs portrait view)... hah!

And most could argue that Samsung copied other features from iPhone ... that debate could go on forever. It still doesn't mean there "is no change" with the 6+ versus the 6. Just like the Note Edge provides a side bar panel the Note 4 doesn't ... Regardless if one finds it useful or not it is still there ... and still is a change or difference.

The main point wasn't about who copied who or what. You see value in that extra cash for a Note Edge for those features.. I simply do not. I see no real usefulness from it .. especially for a price hike. Remember everyone will have different opinions and that is good --- But it doesn't mean that person is wrong.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
For me, the Note Edge's inferior battery life made me go back to my Note 4

Ultimately each person must choose the device that suits them best.

Having owned every Note device I do not find the battery life of the Edge inferior for the way I use my phone.

When the phone was brand new and I couldn't put it down because I was setting it up to my liking, showing it off to everyone, turning on and off features to make it my own the battery took a beating.

However, now that it's been two weeks and I'm settled back into how I normally use my phone the battery life is comparable to the Note devices I've own.

If course how you use your phone is much different than the next person.

I did purchase a spare battery, as I have with each Note before, but it still sits unopened because I haven't needed it, and only once did I have to enter ulta power saving mode when I found myself at 10% at 7pm in the evening.

I have the Note 4 also, but it just sits on the dresser now.

Attachments

• 20141205_141633.jpg
    20141205_141633.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20141205_141949.jpg
    20141205_141949.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 27

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

I think you'd be surprised just how much that extra screen comes in handy. I played with it before I bought it and kind of thought what you did. It wasn't until I bought one and started using it that I realized the error of my ways.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you'd be surprised just how much that extra screen comes in handy. I played with it before I bought it and kind of thought what you did. It wasn't until I bought one and started using it that I realized the error of my ways.

Clitrenta, I agree with you in that it's hard to see the value of the Edge panel by just picking it up for a few minutes at Best Buy or another store.

Similar to the s-pen the Edge panel requires the willingness to expand traditional thinking about a smartphone.

A friend of mine once said "a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still."

I have a friend who has owned the Note 3 since launch day last year, but she insist there is no added value to the s-pen and so she has never once used it.

I see the Edge panel producing the same kind of reaction for many. But like its been already stated by others, you and I would agree that doesn't make a person wrong.

Heck, I see no real value or added convenience in placing the volume rocker on the back of the phone the way LG does it.

But for those who have dared to buy that phone and use it, they almost swear by it and will say it dramatically improves the user experience.

Different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38