Battery Backup Power Pack

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a battery power pack for a backup. I travel a lot and don't always have access to a car lighter to charge. I have AC and car adapters that work fine but need a battery pack also. I've looked at a boat load of them but just don't know which one to get. Seen them from 3500 to 9500 MaH power.
If anyone has experience with these would you please share that. I'd like to get one in the next month.

Posted via Android Central App

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I've looked at Amazon. There is a good selection. How long would a 9500 last? How long for the battery pack to fully recharge?

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As you've noted there's a ton of options. I've had good luck with Anker's batteries. For long travel I use an Anker E4 which has 13000mAh capacity and provides 2 charging ports. Recharge time is long (several hours) but it doesn't bother me since I'll plug it in overnight and have it charged when I'm ready to leave the hotel or whatever. I also sport one of Anker's family sized desktop chargers so that I can charge multiple things at 2amps each without worrying about what port or cable to use.

I've always gone for external batteries that are larger than the internal spec of the device I intend to charge. That way I give myself some room to allow for loss of charge etc. and can predict that I'm at least doubling my battery capacity of the device. If I'm traveling and watching movies on a long flight lets say, I'll start with the tablet/phone already plugged into the external battery and run that battery down first before resorting to the internal. It's just what I do . . YMMV.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks muzzy996. Some great ideas. I will definitely look at those. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'll just note that Anker also has some fancy ones where you shake them and a circular ring of LEDs will indicate charge level . . I don't like those things, the motion sensor in them sometimes doesn't work well. Prefer the standard E4/5/6 models where one has to press the button to determine charge state. More reliable IMO.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I see some that charge at up to 3A. Will that cause any damage or will the device (tablet or phone) only allow what it needs to be charged?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a battery power pack for a backup. I travel a lot and don't always have access to a car lighter to charge. I have AC and car adapters that work fine but need a battery pack also. I've looked at a boat load of them but just don't know which one to get. Seen them from 3500 to 9500 MaH power.
If anyone has experience with these would you please share that. I'd like to get one in the next month.

EDIT: I thought I was in the Note 4 forum for this reply. So none of what I said below applies to the Note Pro 12.2 (which I have also). But, if you have a Note 4, read on...

If you find one that it's close to $50 you might want to just consider getting 4 extra batteries + two wall charges for the same price.
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Batteri...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4579585

I got the batteries above and it's AWESOME to go from near zero charge to 100% charge in about 30 seconds (swap batteries).

That is, if there is nothing else you plan to charge with the external battery pack.

My experience with the external battery packs has been very mixed. If you find a deal that's really great, I'd probably avoid it. I had to send two back that didn't really work well or didn't last as long as you would expect, cords were very lose (wouldn't charge unless plugged supported) and would fall out easily.

Stick with a good name brand.

And your electronics take a REALLY long time to charge with the external battery packs. Typically for the battery packs that have dual USB outputs, one is normal output (2.2) and the other is slow (1.1, designed that way). So don't expect equal performance from multiple USB charge ports.

In the end, you are carrying about the same amount of stuff if you go with 4 batteries or an external battery pack and probably spend about the same $ (if you go with quality).

And in the end you have to either keep 4 batteries charged (about 3 hours each, but you'd have 2 wall charges so 6 hours total) or let the massive 15,000 Mah charger charge for about 12 to 14 hours (yep, it takes that long). So that's a wash too, maybe a bonus for the swappable batteries since you can cut the time in half.

My guess is that 5 batteries (4 spares plus your original) would equate to about 17,000 to 20,000 Mah charger capacity.

Pros and cons each way. Just thought I'd throw another perspective out there to consider.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes I love the replacement batteries for my Note 4, but we are talking about the Pro which doesn't have user replaceable batteries, at least as far as I know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87