Okay, so a question for you folks...

ThatGirlOverThere

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently shopping for a new phone. I have been using StraightTalk, and will be for a little while longer. My goal is to get a new phone compatible with Google Voice (I primarily use GV, so this would just make life easier) so that I can port the mobile number to GV and receive/send calls/text messages from my phone.

Now, I've heard that an Android phone would be the way to go. Browsing StraightTalk's selection, I'm at least a little curious about the Samsung Galaxy Precedent. But instead of just going out and buying it, I'd rather know what I'm heading in to first.

Does anyone know what carrier this particular phone goes through? I have yet to receive a solid answer. Some say Verizon while others say Sprint. Verizon is compatible with GV whereas Sprint (at least the way I hear it) is not. Have any of you personally tried to set up GV on the Samsung Galaxy Precedent? If so, was it a success or a failure? Reviews on it?

Any bit of information helps. If this phone is not the way to go, what are some others that I should look in to?

Edit-
Also, is it true that Sprint is not as compatible with GV? Hearing this was a little more puzzling for me since if check out the GV Account Types, it has two specific options for Sprint alone. That led me to believe that GV worked well with Sprint.

DroidHost

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
the android based phones at Straight Talk run on Sprint Mobile, with the exception of the new one that is coming out which will be sim card based and 4g which will run on T-Mobile or AT&T i have been told that GV works on the precedent i wouldn't know for sure as i have never tried it, the folks over and androidarea51.com might be able to help you more with that as they are the Precedent Gurus

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
ST works on Google Voice - it has nothing to do with the phone or with Sprint. I have the Precedent. It's not super fast, it doesn't have acres of free storage (although with a 16GB SD card, I've crammed it full of apps and the card is still pretty empty.) My only problem with the phone is that my eyes aren't what they used to be and a 3.5" screen is a bit small to read. (And my fingers are a bit large, and I didn't grow up texting, so I needed a better keyboard, but the free AnySoftKeyboard (which I found thanks to this site) solved that problem.)

Check with people in your area, and anywhere you're going to need your phone. If Sprint has solid coverage there you'll be fine. (You may want to change the vocoder, but that's a trivial setting change, and if no one here writes a little post on how to do it on the Precedent, I will.) But if Sprint doesn't cover the area you want, stay away from CDMA phones with ST (that means phones that don't have SIM cards).

Getting involved with ST is another matter. If customer service that's a few steps below "absolutely the worst in the world" doesn't bother you, or you never need their help (and being on a forum like this means that you can get better help than ST's people give you), ST is a decent solution for you. It's unlimited voice, unlimited text and unlimited web browsing (but not unlimited data - use wifi when you need to do a lot of downloading). If they don't change anything (even customer service), I'm staying with them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently shopping for a new phone. I have been using StraightTalk, and will be for a little while longer. My goal is to get a new phone compatible with Google Voice (I primarily use GV, so this would just make life easier) so that I can port the mobile number to GV and receive/send calls/text messages from my phone.

Now, I've heard that an Android phone would be the way to go. Browsing StraightTalk's selection, I'm at least a little curious about the Samsung Galaxy Precedent. But instead of just going out and buying it, I'd rather know what I'm heading in to first.

Does anyone know what carrier this particular phone goes through? I have yet to receive a solid answer. Some say Verizon while others say Sprint. Verizon is compatible with GV whereas Sprint (at least the way I hear it) is not. Have any of you personally tried to set up GV on the Samsung Galaxy Precedent? If so, was it a success or a failure? Reviews on it?

Any bit of information helps. If this phone is not the way to go, what are some others that I should look in to?

Edit-
Also, is it true that Sprint is not as compatible with GV? Hearing this was a little more puzzling for me since if check out the GV Account Types, it has two specific options for Sprint alone. That led me to believe that GV worked well with Sprint.

What are you trying to do here?

Add the Google Account that your Google Voice number is attached to and you'll be able to use the Google Voice app to SMS and MMS messaging and the Hangouts Dialer for voice calls regardless of carrier - as long as you have network connectivity.

You can keep your mobile number and your Google Voice number separate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress