64 gigabyte SDXC and CM7

Jynto

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
So I've recently purchased a 64 GB micro-SD for my aging i9000, which runs Cyanogenmod 7.2 (Android version 2.3.7). I formatted it as MS-DOS FAT using Disk Utility on my Mac. When I insert it into the phone's SD card slot, I get a notification that says "SD card safe to remove". I go to System settings and mount it manually, which appears to work for a short while - there's a persistent notification that says "Preparing SD card, checking for errors". But then after about a minute it crashes and gets stuck on a black screen

Details of the crash: the status bar is still visible, but the clock doesn't move. And no amount of button-mashing will get me off that screen, so I have to pull the battery. Before I formatted it, the SD card was ExFAT, which Android recognised as 'damaged' but failed to format it properly.

I know it says on this thread that the Galaxy S is forward-compatible with 64 GB SD cards, so what gives? Assuming it's a software problem, could it be fixed by installing a newer version of Cyanogenmod?