Software Update Bricked my Skyrocket

juls339

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The software update released by Samsung bricked my skyrocket. I have a white screen that says loading, and am empty progress bar. Can reboot but goes straight back to the white screen. Took it to the ATT store at the mall ...they were no help. The only option i have is to swap out the phone for a new one..and I don't want to do that. Evidently the update has been pulled because of this issue but that doesn't help me any!
Anyone know what to do?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Remove your SD card and power off the phone....the following steps will reset your phone to factory settings

With your phone off, firmly hold down both the up AND down volume buttons. While holding the volume buttons down press the power button until you feel the phone vibrate

Use the volume button to navigate to wipe/resest and hit your home key

Two Ways To Hard Reset Your Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket | Eyes4Tech.COM

Good luck!

juls339

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
When I press the volume up/down button while powering on, the result is the white screen, not the samsung logo. There isn't anything to navigate to...no text on the screen anywhere other than the word "loading" below the empty progress bar and the words "Software update" above it.

aequitasqveritas

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The software update released by Samsung bricked my skyrocket. I have a white screen that says loading, and am empty progress bar. Can reboot but goes straight back to the white screen. Took it to the ATT store at the mall ...they were no help. The only option i have is to swap out the phone for a new one..and I don't want to do that. Evidently the update has been pulled because of this issue but that doesn't help me any!
Anyone know what to do?

I have the exact same problem. Its been on that same screen for 4 hours now. I've tried to do the reset, and it didn't work either. Tried to plug the phone into my pc, and my computer wouldn't even recognize it.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Use Odin to get back to stock. This thread has everything you need.

[HOWTO][TAR] THE ODIN THREAD :: Return to stock, fix soft brick :: 11/13: Rogers TAR! - xda-developers

To do this you need to be in download mode. Take out your battery, plug the USB cord into the phone and computer, then hold power and both volume buttons. While holding down the 3 buttons, insert the battery and hold the buttons until a yellow triangle with an android pops up on screen. You are now in download mode and ready to use Odin.

I realized that there is no download link for Odin or the needed USB drivers in that thread...so here you go :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=19223405

Last edited:

NeoGutsman

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Forgive my naive question, but does using Odin essentially reset everything? I'm worried about my pictures and other data on my phone being lost forever. Thanks in advance. I'm also suffering from this #$@%@% 2.3.6 update on my Skyrocket. I postponed the update about three times and an hour or so ago it forced me to update. I went ahead and did so and am now stuck at that awful loading screen with an empty progress bar.

EDIT: I see in the main thread that no user data is removed, just that the system itself is reset to stock, correct? Also, the second link you posted for Odin is the same as the first, so I don't see the actual link to Odin itself, just the tar file.

Again, thanks in advance for your help. I just want to avoid sending my phone in because it's crucial that I have a working phone on me at all times (don't we all).

Last edited:

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh I'm dumb, it was the same same link Haven't had my coffee today lol. I updated the post with the correct info. You will lose all user data as far as I know. But its better than a bricked phone right?

edit- So I guess user data stays intact with Odin. But I'll try it myself to be sure...

Last edited:

drewd321

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I went through this yesterday. I also tried all the hard/soft reset options. After numerous calls and chats with at&t and samsung they wanted me to send my phone in for warranty repair. Call your local at&t store and find the nearest "Device Support Center". They will pull the battery and restart the phone in recovery mode. I took my phone in, they flashed it back to 2.3.5 and I got it back in less than 10 minutes. I did not lose any information.

NeoGutsman

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
@Ronnie2: Thanks! I'm going to bookmark these threads as a second option.

@drewd321: Thank you as well! I'm going to go to the big AT&T store near me tomorrow night and do as you mentioned. That seems like (for these butterfingers) the safer option to start off with. Glad to hear that you did not lose any information! Reinstalling apps and tweaking things again is a pain, but it's nothing compared to losing my family pictures. That'll teach me to back things up more often ;)

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
A couple min. Install the drivers, run Odin, restore from .tar file.

If AT&T can restore without losing user data I say try that first for sure. I suppose this is more for people who need their phone to work right away and can't afford to be without a phone.

campguy

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
for a novice like me, the second link you posted had better directions. I followed them and it seems to have worked perfectly....and I think the phone is completely restored with no lost apps or data.

This sure beats the phone replacement that ATT was proposing (6 day wait).

thanks!

drewd321

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
If you decide to take your phone to the att store or send it in, you can put your sim into your old phone (if you have it) and have att activate it (if need be) for a short term solution.

NeoGutsman

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
One other thing. I opted to postpone the update three times (8 hour postponement max per). After the last one the phone wouldn't allow me to postpone anymore and forced me to update.

Did anyone else encounter this? I'm worried that when I take my phone in to the AT&T store this evening I'll be prompted again with the update and have to do this whole thing over again. Either way, I'll post my results here so that others can know the steps to take if they go the store route for repair.

nesto1

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
One other thing. I opted to postpone the update three times (8 hour postponement max per). After the last one the phone wouldn't allow me to postpone anymore and forced me to update.

Did anyone else encounter this? I'm worried that when I take my phone in to the AT&T store this evening I'll be prompted again with the update and have to do this whole thing over again. Either way, I'll post my results here so that others can know the steps to take if they go the store route for repair.

The update has been pulled so you don't have to worry about it. It was pulled yesterday morning because of the NUMEROUS complaints of failed installs / bricked phones.

at_and_t_sucks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I had the same problem. When I took my phone to the AT&T store, the manager (super helpful dude) said they had been instructed to return bricked phones to Samsung for software reset/reinstall. I don't know if this involves losing your info or not. I'm gonna try the Odin instruction before I send my phone anywhere.

NeoGutsman

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
for a novice like me, the second link you posted had better directions. I followed them and it seems to have worked perfectly....and I think the phone is completely restored with no lost apps or data.

This sure beats the phone replacement that ATT was proposing (6 day wait).

thanks!

Does this mean that your phone is rooted? I don't want to have my phone rooted in the process, just restored. Thanks in advance for your great comments!

EDIT: To my question above, can I just stop at the point in the instructions where it says "NOW LETS MAKE A BACKUP AND GET ROOTED!!!"? If that's the case then I'll follow the instructions in the original second link as long as I can just get my phone rebooted past the white screen. So sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure; hopefully it will also help others visiting here.

EDIT 2: Success! I only went as far as "NOW LETS MAKE A BACKUP AND GET ROOTED!!!". After hitting Start in Odin per the instructions it took mere moments for my phone to reboot properly. It is exactly as it was prior to the update with zero data loss (and a nice Words With Friends prompt reminding me to finally make my next move ;D). THANK YOU to Ronnie2 for the excellent help links as well as the rest of you for support and help as well. What a cluster this has been :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo