Galaxy S2 cannot download updates or new apps

WaiHing

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s2 cannot download updates or new apps

Hi, For those having problem accessing *#9900# and it throws up invalid error, you probably run on custom rom.

You will need to look for this directory /data/log and delete all the files. For my case, it freed up 1 gig of memory!

You can do it via terminal in your apps (I'm running on Cyanongen):
1. su
2. cd /data/log
3. rm *.log

leenik

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

To Stu 40.
Thanks for the knowledge.
Spent weeks messing around with this.
As most say moving things around doesn't work for long. Has anyone found what the rest of the settings are for?
Yes one of the best fixes I have heard in years of working around IT and comms, thanks again Stu a true hero.
Going to go and take out a 12 month sim only deal on my S2 now.

Last edited:

Stef71

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Many Thanks WaiHing. I have a custom ROM (CM10) and Stu's solution was not working for me (MMI error) Your work around worked perfectly. Freed up 1 Gig! Cookie for you!

GadgetGeekette

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

For people who are getting error messages, make sure you don't forget the asterisk at the beginning! However when I do it, it only frees up about 100mb and it still says I have 1.75gb in use in my system storage. Does anyone know of any other fixes or why mine doesn't free up a load of space like most people's??? I have a galaxy s2 running jelly bean.

I simply do NOT understand why samsung have only allocated 2gb to apps (i.e. system storage) and won't allow the rest of the internal storage (i.e. usb storage) to be used for apps!!???? Especially as it comes stuffed full of rubbish bloatware that I don't want or need (and I don't want to root my phone and invalidate the warranty and support in order to remove the bloatware). I have a 32gb sd card installed as well which is only a third full, but loads of apps won't allow me to move them to the sd card, plus I need enough space to be able to install apps before they can then be moved to the external storage anyway.

I have had nothing but headaches with this phone because of the storage issue, and on top of that it's IMPOSSIBLE to connect to my computer and even after hours and hours and hours of telephone support from samsung, they still couldn't work out how to get my laptop to see my phone, even using their own software, Kies Air. The support staff said they have problems all the time with people unable to connect their phone to their PC/laptop. And to add to all that, I have over 600 internet pages that are saved to read offline, but samsung openly admit they have no way of saving or storing that information if you reset your phone. And because of this storage issue, they said I should save my data and reset my phone. The best suggestion they could come up with was to go to each internet page I've saved and mark it as a bookmark - but with 600+ pages it's something I simply don't have the time (or patience) for! And why should I?? I don't understand why backing up this information isn't possible like with other data on the phone, this is basic stuff!!! Samsung said it isn't technically possible to do that, but I pointed out that apps exist that do exactly that (for example they convert to pdf for offline reading). They said they'd pass the info on to their developers, but that doesn't help me now.

But most of all I'm sick to death of not being able to install anything because of this dumb storage issue. I also have problems saving data because I can't update or install the apps that back stuff up. This whole things is clearly a major design fault as far as I'm concerned and they should be offering a free fix. And without it I'm switching to Nokia as soon as my contract expires!!!

Sorry for the rant, but this all is driving me crazy, I can't even begin to say how many hours, weeks, months (literally!!!!) I have spent researching how to fix all these things - life is too short - v soon goodbye samsung!!!!!!!

Zion Yaakov

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
hello WaiHing,

could you please be more spesific?
how can i get into this app and delete the logs? i also got an error while diling *#9900#.

thank you

Maya C

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, but the trik: *#9900# is not working on my phone (galaxy s2). When I dial this I get this message on the scren: Connetction problem or invalid MMI code.

I tried to go to file manager and deletd all files in Log, but it still not working?..

Any other solution?

tnx!

Keith Mcdonald

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
My mate as the same phone as me (s2). We went into the application manager,(select ALL it will show downloaded at top of screen swipe across to get there) select contacts storage.My mate had used around 5mb, he as not updated to jelly bean, mine was showing 1.44g.So what we did is knock the phone off,removed the sim card and sd card and restarted the phone,went back into contacts storage and pressed the clear data.The phone is now running fine.It will remove all your contacts on the phone,just import them back off your sim.It will also remove anything in your favourites list, no big deal for me.

Keith Mcdonald

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Kjell i think you will find this solution short term.
I also did a factory reset,after about 4 months the phone was again showing insufficient storage space.I did as above post 71 about a week ago phone running fine now.

Rascal Art

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi, For those having problem accessing *#9900# and it throws up invalid error, you probably run on custom rom.

You will need to look for this directory /data/log and delete all the files. For my case, it freed up 1 gig of memory!

You can do it via terminal in your apps (I'm running on Cyanongen):
1. su
2. cd /data/log
3. rm *.log

Can you please give some more detail on how to use this fix? I am on Cyanfox Nightlies and cannot access the SSID codes option to fix the problem.

martinmurray345

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm really happy it works for you, but I'm getting very angry reading all these reports of how wonderful this method is, because when I try it, the SysDump menu DOESN'T HAVE any item "delete dumpstate/logcat".

My phone says it has 180Mb of memory, and only 12Mb free. But it still won't accept a text message! Which is what, 1Kb or so? What is wrong with this system?

Martin Murray

kliki77

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

hello guys I got samsung galaxy s2 and I download cracked Fifa 14 and when I run the game show like this "download filed beacuse you may not have puorchased this app"
sorry for my bad english

raywright1

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
taking the time and effort thank Stu as well.

for me, it only freed up 300mb but it was enough to get back to being productive (email would not even sync).

for me, the USSD code also threw an error, but moments later, the menu came up and i was able to delete the log file(s).

Readervictoria

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I have an S2, T989. When I try to #9900#, the message I get is "Unable to Process Request" I've looked through the other solutions and can't find anything that applies to my phone. (I'm running Android 4.0.3 if that makes a difference.) When I simply search through my files, there is no "log" in the "Data" folder. Any suggestions are welcome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty