Galaxy S3 Mini: Custom Ringtones or Notification Sounds for Calendar, Text Messages and Email.

kmcdonald22

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've had the Samsung S3 III mini for about a week and have searched the internet for what I'm looking for and have found nothing.

The first thing I'd like to say is that I don't like any of the default ringtones or notification sounds, so I created my own. I connected my phone to my computer and have copied the mp3 files to the music and sounds folders on my SD card and ringtones, sounds and music on the phone. So far I have been able to use a custom ringtone for when my phone rings and alarms. Setting alarms is kind of a pain because whenever I set one, I have to choose the ringtone I want for each alarm. I'm not able to set it up to use the custom ringtone that I want automatically. The calendar, Email, and Messaging will only allow me to choose the default ringtones or sounds. I have searched the phone directories and can't find the default sounds and ringtones to possibly add my custom ringtones.

Is there a way to add custom ringtones to the default list of ringtones for the calendar, messaging and email?

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom Ringtones or NotificationSounds for Calendar, Text Messages and Email.

For the Calendar, Email and Messaging the MP3's need to be in a folder named Notifications on the Internal SD.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No, you don't need root to do this.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
For a newbie (with an S5) - can you tell me how to do that ? I am running Kies on a Mac at the moment.
I don't know what Kies looks like on a Mac, but when you connect the phone to your Mac (before loading Kies) it should show you a Finder (hope that's the correct term) window showing the contents of the phone (be sure the phone is in MTP mode). Just drag the mp3s that you want to use into the Notifications folder on the phone.

If for some reason you don't see the Notifications folder, just drop them anywhere on the phone, then disconnect the phone and use the 'My Files' app on the phone to find them and move them to the Notifications folder.

Once those files are there they should show up in the list when you want to select a ringtone/notification.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Styllantzos

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Custom Ringtones or NotificationSounds for Calendar, Text Messages and Email.

Hey, i did as instructed, i places the mp3 in the notification folder in the internal memory but i still cant set the mp3 as the message ring tone! what am i doing wrong?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
I places the mp3 in the notification folder in the internal memory but i still cant set the mp3 as the message ring tone!
If you use the 'My files' app to navigate to the Notifications folder, do you see the file there?
Are you able to play that file manually using one of the music players?
It does have the correct mp3 file extension, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty