A15 over A9

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I read that too regarding the Snapdragon in the S3, but I also read that Samsung was developing their own LTE chip.

I'm sure they are, but Qualcomm got their first. Samsung already has an LTE capable baseband chip, but what they don't have right now is an SoC with it built-in. It's a separate chip, which is why it sucks battery life like a vampire.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they are, but Qualcomm got their first. Samsung already has an LTE capable baseband chip, but what they don't have right now is an SoC with it built-in. It's a separate chip, which is why it sucks battery life like a vampire.

So wanting the Exynos processor for the US phone is just wishful thinking as it will not work with the LTE chip, and the US S3 will have the Snapdragon processor?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So wanting the Exynos processor for the US phone is just wishful thinking as it will not work with the LTE chip, and the US S3 will have the Snapdragon processor?

Nobody knows for sure, but do we really want another generation of phones that is definitely going to get bad battery life on LTE? I think manufacturers know that now, and with an option out there that integrates the radio I think they would be wise to take advantage of that.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the Krait S4 based off the same architecture as the Cortex A15?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the Krait S4 based off the same architecture as the Cortex A15?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Qualcomm licenses the instruction set but makes their own custom architecture. TI, Samsung and the others base their designs off of the ARM reference design.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

Reactions: JayWill

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Qualcomm licenses the instruction set but makes their own custom architecture. TI, Samsung and the others base their designs off of the ARM reference design.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

Ahh I see. Thanks for clarifying. I had read AnandTech's review of the S4 and knew I had seen information about licensing, and bits about the A15 discussed in the article, but I had trouble putting it all together. Usually my head hurts after reading AnandTech articles, so I try not to dig too deep into trying to understand what I'm reading, or risk permanent damage. :p

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I care what chip it has. As long as it performs exceptionally, I'll be down for whatever.

All the benchmArks in the world don't mean a thing. I just want smooth performance and great hardware.

soap

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is why I'm still hoping we'll see the A15 chip put into some kinda device (whether it's a tablet or a phone I don't know):
If you go to the official Exynos minisite located here Samsung Exynos, and click under products, you will see the 5 series processor listed along with the 4 series dual and quad versions of the 32nm processor.

Also if you go see more details on each of those processors on the main site (Exynos 5 and Exynos 4) both have their production status listed as "Customer Sample". Now if Samsung had both processors at the same stage of production, why would they use the A9 SOC on one of their products and not do anything with the more modern SOC.

seeingwhite

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is why I'm still hoping we'll see the A15 chip put into some kinda device (whether it's a tablet or a phone I don't know):

I wish you were right, I really do... but at this point it seems like Samsung has been letting enough information out so that we wouldn't be disappointed hoping for the 5250.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I know everyone wants the latest tech but you do understand the latest tech costs more. I don't know if A15 processors are ready or not but Samsung can definitely do well without releasing that this year. Look at Apple, it's not about the latest tech but the customer experience is a form that guarantees the most profit. Ultimately people will forget about the processor if the phone runs smooth and it gets excellent battery life. win7 phones still use single core but no one cries that they are a slouch

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not overly concerned with the specific CPU either. As long as its smooth in web browsing etc I don't push my phone too much. I do notice slowdown on my epic when running navigation and currents and chrome together, and have to manually shut down programs. So something smoother would be nice.