About to give up and go back to iPhone

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
1) Size, for me, it's just a little bit too large for me to manage single handed while walking. Yes, I can do it, but barely, not comfortably, and always feeling like the phone can be dropped.
2) Skype does not work on the phone. There are alternatives, but my company, and family all are on Skype so I really need it
3) No Compass feature in CityMaps2Go. I travel a lot and usually to places where I don't have internet access. I use this app to get around. The Android version does not have the compass feature like the iOS version so you can't see the direction you are walking on the map.
4) Various transportation/ticketing apps don't work reliably. Example; the NY Waterways app will not reliably let you buy or show your tickets.
5) Battery life, it just does not get me through a day. While most days I can recharge during the day, that is not always the case. I have tried everything I read on posts, but to get me through, I need the phone to last longer. Sure I can use an external battery or larger battery, but I don't want the extra size/weight.

The last item is that the phone does wierd things from time to time. For example, switching from speakerphone to handheld does not always work. I use this a lot when I call places, and leave it on speaker until someone answers and then switch to the handset.

1. Lol well you there is always the Galaxy S3 Mini
2. What's wrong with your Skype? I use Skype well on my phone...what is the exact problem your facing? I may be able to help
3. You can use the Stock android maps which has a compass (and pretty accurate). You can also download areas for offline use just in case you do not have any internet access
4. Hmmm never tried any of those..what do you use those for?
5. Most reasons batteries die fast is because the mobile data is constantly on, brightness is too high, and things are constantly syncing, and these will all use up battery, you can try:
- Juice Defender Balanced: Make sure when ur screen is off, it turns off your mobile data otherwise it won't work, you can set up data enabling times every 15 min so it checks for new notifications
- Don't have anything sync every 15 min and also don't download apps that run in the background too much, or make sure u fully exit out of the apps (Ex. Skype)
- I would not use auto brighness, that uses battery a lot....try and keep brightness under 30% (its still visible), and just increase with the brightness bar when ur outside

As for the speakerphone thing....not sure why it's doing that, but limiting the amount of apps running in the background could possible prevent this, because Android automatically cleans memory when it gets full or too high, and that will temporarily slow down the phone, but if you don't have too many background apps running, it should be smooth.

Android takes more managing because its mroe open ended, like a PC, but once you know what your doing and get used to it...its pretty flawless

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
2. What's wrong with your Skype? I use Skype well on my phone...what is the exact problem your facing? I may be able to help
3. You can use the Stock android maps which has a compass (and pretty accurate). You can also download areas for offline use just in case you do not have any internet access
4. Hmmm never tried any of those..what do you use those for?
5. Most reasons batteries die fast is because the mobile data is constantly on, brightness is too high, and things are constantly syncing, and these will all use up battery, you can try:
- Juice Defender Balanced: Make sure when ur screen is off, it turns off your mobile data otherwise it won't work, you can set up data enabling times every 15 min so it checks for new notifications

2) Skype is my biggest issue. It just dies. I mean I install I login, I try to make a call. It then "gets stuck" after a while Android returns saying it has stopped working or something like that. I clear the cache, data, etc. go back in, login and then I have no contacts, no Skype credit, nothing. I restart the phone and it just repeats the above. Same with re-installing. I wish I knew how yours worked because, this is my biggest issue, not right now, but when I travel, I don't want to lug my iPad around all day just to make calls.
3) AWESOME, don't know why I did not thing of this, just tried it out, the offline google maps solves my problem. THANKS
4) Amtrak, NJ Transit, NY Waterways. I travel a lot between Philadelphia and New York. I use public transportation because driving and parking in NYC is nuts. These apps allow me to go paperless so I don't have to print and carry tickets (which I am usually buying on my way to the station)
5) I have done the other things, but certain items seem out my control. Yesterday it was gallery even though I shut off photo syncing everywhere I found it. Today it's media downloads (don't know how to control that). I have tried some other apps but I'll give JuiceDefender a try now....

For everyone else. I'm sorry, I did not mean to come across saying anything was bad, just that it was not working for me. Even with the problems I am having, I think its a great phone and system.... just MIGHT not be a good fit for my needs.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
In regards to the speakerphone issue I have that too. Very frustrating but if you just change the volume it corrects itself.

It other news my friend was trying to share a folder in his Dropbox with his iphone to me... It was such a pain. I'm wondering all the time, why the heck can't you do this? Thinking of simple things like holding down the folder name and seeing all the options like on android.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the speakerphone tip. I just tried that and it works! It also makes me feel better that its not just me.

Another update. After 4 days of trying everything I could, to get Skype working, and I do mean everything, restarting the phone, reinstalling, scouring the internet for recommendations and following them, with absolutely no success. I could never complete a call. For "fun" I just tried it again (no reinstall or anything since the last attempt yesterday) and it worked. I was able to make several calls with zero problems. As long as it continues this way this is great news. My two biggest travel issues have been resolved. I just hope that it keeps working.

Hopefully juice defender will give me more battery life and you guys will have helped me to keep the phone. The balance has definitely shifted back into the S3's favor. :)

dbmgreen

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
PERSONAL Digital Assistant = thats what these phones really are,
PERSONAL "Of, affecting, or belonging to a particular person rather than to anyone else."
and just like every other consumer product, you are going to have YOUR own PERSONAL reasons for owning one particular type of product. Which in NO way says that its better or worse than any other particular product, it just suits your perceived PERSONAL needs better.
With some hindsight though, and from now on, probably better to post in the iMore forums. :)

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the speakerphone tip. I just tried that and it works! It also makes me feel better that its not just me.

Another update. After 4 days of trying everything I could, to get Skype working, and I do mean everything, restarting the phone, reinstalling, scouring the internet for recommendations and following them, with absolutely no success. I could never complete a call. For "fun" I just tried it again (no reinstall or anything since the last attempt yesterday) and it worked. I was able to make several calls with zero problems. As long as it continues this way this is great news. My two biggest travel issues have been resolved. I just hope that it keeps working.

Hopefully juice defender will give me more battery life and you guys will have helped me to keep the phone. The balance has definitely shifted back into the S3's favor. :)

Exacltly how long are you expecting your phone to last?
How much screen on time do you typically have in a day?
How long are you typically away from a place where you can charge your phone?
Do you have pockets that can hold a secondary battery?

Attached are screenshots of my gs2 skyrocket which I would bet money your s3 should be able to outperform. Keep in mind thats a single charge with a stock battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351801932573.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351801932573.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351801941444.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351801941444.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 87

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
PERSONAL Digital Assistant = thats what these phones really are,
PERSONAL "Of, affecting, or belonging to a particular person rather than to anyone else."
and just like every other consumer product, you are going to have YOUR own PERSONAL reasons for owning one particular type of product. Which in NO way says that its better or worse than any other particular product, it just suits your perceived PERSONAL needs better.
With some hindsight though, and from now on, probably better to post in the iMore forums. :)
This^^^^^^^ up until the last point, by him posting his reasons for being unhappy with the phone, is how some of those issues have been resolved. Sure you are going to get the "negative" remarks or the condescending replies but you get those in all forums, just ignore them and hopefully you take away some valuable/informative feedback and or help.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
2) Skype is my biggest issue. It just dies. I mean I install I login, I try to make a call. It then "gets stuck" after a while Android returns saying it has stopped working or something like that. I clear the cache, data, etc. go back in, login and then I have no contacts, no Skype credit, nothing. I restart the phone and it just repeats the above. Same with re-installing. I wish I knew how yours worked because, this is my biggest issue, not right now, but when I travel, I don't want to lug my iPad around all day just to make calls.
3) AWESOME, don't know why I did not thing of this, just tried it out, the offline google maps solves my problem. THANKS
4) Amtrak, NJ Transit, NY Waterways. I travel a lot between Philadelphia and New York. I use public transportation because driving and parking in NYC is nuts. These apps allow me to go paperless so I don't have to print and carry tickets (which I am usually buying on my way to the station)
5) I have done the other things, but certain items seem out my control. Yesterday it was gallery even though I shut off photo syncing everywhere I found it. Today it's media downloads (don't know how to control that). I have tried some other apps but I'll give JuiceDefender a try now....

For everyone else. I'm sorry, I did not mean to come across saying anything was bad, just that it was not working for me. Even with the problems I am having, I think its a great phone and system.... just MIGHT not be a good fit for my needs.

Glad we are here helping u out!
As for your Skype, are u using LTE or WiFi...Skype works best with WiFi (as with anything else)...it may start dropping if your connection starts to get a bit low
And Juice Defender should work for you and you should see a noticeable different once it gets adjusted to your phone with it left on...also keep all your syncing off or at least every 1hr

emathed

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

How did you get Skype to work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BIGPADDY

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Why not a Windows 8 phone the NOKIA LUMIA 920 It also good to have a thrid option it look great it has;

4.5 inch puremotion HD which is more HD than HD that would be good to watch HD movies and content in more HD
1280*768 332 pixel per inch
Look very sexy comes in lot of colours red, blue, green, yellow etc.
Plays music
It has games
Xbox lives
Nokia Maps

BEST PART you can wear gloves in winter to touch the screen big plus no risking ure fingers on frost bite :3

As well NOKIA needs the money so it going to a good course

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My Skype is awful. Works for about 5 seconds on first call and then disconnects every call therafter. Not sure why it isnt working?

Try tango. It's free, use ur phone number. Works great.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

emathed

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Try tango. It's free, use ur phone number. Works great.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

I would if only my family and friends would also. I can't seem to convince them away from Skype :p

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Why the hate? This is America and we have a rite to choose. I hate apple a lot as well but if the guy is used to a certain way. Why not let him go back? The s3 is an amazing phone. I just can't stand touch wiz. And it's true about some de elopers that port it over from iOS the functionality isn't there. Now you can cache Google maps and usually it dose have a compus. The battery life android had true multi tasking meaning sometimes tjingsbrun wild in the back ground and just make a buffet out the battery. If you love iOS sadly that's for you don't let a bad port of an app ruin the whole experience. But that's just me . Just put them both on wifi and compare them side by side apple is simplistically clean android can be but not everyone who is a geek likes to be simple. In this perspective iOS is the guy that brings his car to the shop for a tune up oil change breaks. Android is the guy that goose to the auto part store and dose it by themselves. IOS is for the people who don't want to worry about how it works. Android is the nerds that do custom builds .
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
good luck OP and well done for not bein an isheep OR androsheep :)
you gave it a chance and chose whats best for you.
noone should be giving you abuse for that.
you made an informed decision and hopefuly will be a bit defensive of android when you hear it being slated :)
take care man (and dont get lost usin imaps lol) :p

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm from iOS world too and took some getting used to. Big time that is. Nothing is perfect and a matter of trade off. For me, android 4.1 was a tipping point for Android. 4.2 sounds better than iOS 6 to me.
Frankly, I don't get what OP wants out of his posting in Android forum. If you need empathy you'll find more from your friends rather than strangers. Otherwise, OP seems to know the answer already who he wants to do.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
not empathy.
i find that writing things to strangers helps clear my mind and i value their views

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
That is exactly the point. I don't want to go back, I WANT reasons to keep the S3. As I said there are a lot of points that I like about it.

@glou; how is it your Skype works when all over there are people saying it doesn't (on the S3). Have you actually made and received calls on it recently? If yes, what did you do? I would love to find an answer. I have removed and reinstalled it 3 times so far, cleared cache, etc. At best it works for one call and then stops working.

@glou: can you help and name an offline, street level mapping application that has compass direction in addition to GPS. I figured that CityMaps2Go did not have the compass feature on Android because of a hardware limitation since it has it on the iOS version. If that is not the case then I will look for another app.

Skype works great on mine too had a few issues with the latest update but it works great after I un installed and reinstalled. I used it just last week to talk with my wife and kids when they were away.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Captian4Phones

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I gave android a 4 month run. I owned 3 different devices. The current one being an HTC vivid. I currently switch between a 3gs and my vivid. I can hardly get through a day with the vivid and when I charge it overnight my wife wants to throw it across the room because the vibration wakes her up. All because it crashes and reboots. Don't need lte unless I'm surfing pretty hard.

I love them both I'm keeping them both. Too much love/hate relationship with both systems to settle on just one.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty