Best Automation Apps for S3

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There's a huge and pretty awesome thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/151247-llama-whos-using-any-good-examples.html For the S3 with stock Jellybean 4.1.1 specifically though, what apps have you evaluated or are using for automation tasks? The three main things I'd like to accomplish are:
1. Enable "Blocking Mode" for work and evening (sleeping) timeframes. I understand that some have gotten Blocking Mode to work, however, attempts for me always result in force closes.
2. Automatically turn on/off WiFi based upon preferred access points.
3. Reduce volume during workday.

Apps with minimal battery and performance hits would be a bonus.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I use Settings Profile, but it won't do point 1. On my Sprint GS3, blocking mode works fine. I'm guessing you have a Verizon phone, and Verizon seems to have deliberately broken it.

And point 2 may not be possible. If WiFi is off, how will the phone know if you're near an access point? But SP will let you turn WiFi on and off based on your location as determined by cell towers, which works for me.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I use Settings Profile, but it won't do point 1. On my Sprint GS3, blocking mode works fine. I'm guessing you have a Verizon phone, and Verizon seems to have deliberately broken it.

And point 2 may not be possible. If WiFi is off, how will the phone know if you're near an access point? But SP will let you turn WiFi on and off based on your location as determined by cell towers, which works for me.

Thanks and good guess. Blocking Mode broken. #2 is oddly possible since WiFi appear to be in a low power sleep state even if its toggled off in Settings. So soon as I enter into a WiFi access point that I don't want to use some apps freak out since they try to use WiFi prior to actually authenticating. I think there's a workaround for this that requires root and I have root, but think it will be cool if I can solve this in an automated fashion. Sounds like Settings Profile uses cell towers like Llama. I'll check it out.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Automateit free or tasker can accomplish your goals, I usually use automateit because tasker is inconsistent for me

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Setting Profile here.

llama annoyed me by not letting me set the ringer volume and notification volume separately. It kept whining about a bug in the Android software. I kept getting these really low phone rings or really loud notifications. Kind of defeated the point of having the program.
Setting profile just works.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I use Tasker... what makes this app stand out compared to Tasker? (for those who have used both)

Tasker and AutomateIT are also on my list to evaluate. Currently trying Llama, and think it has much to offer. I will test it out over this weekend more, particularly for the Silent Profile and sleeping time.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks and good guess. Blocking Mode broken. #2 is oddly possible since WiFi appear to be in a low power sleep state even if its toggled off in Settings. So soon as I enter into a WiFi access point that I don't want to use some apps freak out since they try to use WiFi prior to actually authenticating. I think there's a workaround for this that requires root and I have root, but think it will be cool if I can solve this in an automated fashion. Sounds like Settings Profile uses cell towers like Llama. I'll check it out.

I just checked, and Setting Profiles (sorry, I got the 's' in the wrong place in my prior post) does allow location by WiFi AP. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I just checked, and Setting Profiles (sorry, I got the 's' in the wrong place in my prior post) does allow location by WiFi AP. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon.

Yes, I use Setting Profiles rules based on WiFi APs. At work I have one set of rules, at home another, and away from both, another.
But there is a glitch. Once I am on say my work AP, then when I drive away and am no long connected to that AP, it still think I am at work and doesn't change rules for some odd reason. I worked around it easily by adding time based rules.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch