Anyone have problems with the phone locking itself?

amir_11950

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.

I noticed the phone screen auto-locks when i try to call someone and they don't answer. Here is the step by step

1. Unlock screen and open phone dialer
2. Select someone to dial
3. Call contact and put phone to my ear
4. Wait for an answer
5. Nobody answers
6. Remove phone from ear, it shows the phone is locked

Has anyone experienced this that if you call someone and they don't answer, the phone locks itself

How can I fix this?

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm having somewhat similar problem. When using speaker on phone call...once the screen blacks out, can't bring back the screen by moving phone. In fact... Can't bring screen back using buttons volume or power... Pressing power button ends call and brings screen back... But useless if one wants to continue the call by ending use of speaker phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
rtsoff: ending the call with the power button is something you can control: Settings / Accessibility uncheck "The power key ends calls."

amir and rtshoff:
A few questions: What is your screen timeout set to? In Settings / Lock screen, what do you have set in "Lock Automatically". Is "Lock instantly with power key" checked? In the dialer, tap Menu, then Call settings. Do you have Auto screen off during calls checked?

amir_11950

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
rtsoff: ending the call with the power button is something you can control: Settings / Accessibility uncheck "The power key ends calls."

amir and rtshoff:
A few questions: What is your screen timeout set to? In Settings / Lock screen, what do you have set in "Lock Automatically". Is "Lock instantly with power key" checked? In the dialer, tap Menu, then Call settings. Do you have Auto screen off during calls checked?

What happens is after i remove the phone from my ear, it shows "call ended" then goes to lock screen. I have lock instantly with power key. well since the screen goes black after i put it to my ear im assuming i have auto screen off selected.

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

Yes I do know about this setting...and i want to keep this. When i am on a call using the handset without speaker...the screen turns off...as it should. When i move the phone the accelerometer brings the screen back on. What I am experiencing is this accelerometer function does not work if I am on a call using the speaker phone. The screen does turn off...as it should when on a call, but I cannot get back to the screen after this.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not aware of an accelerometer driven screen unlock. When you hold the phone to your ear, the proximity sensor turns the screen off, and when you move it away from your ear turns it back on. When the phone's not near your ear (e.g., speakerphone), the proximity sensor doesn't control this. When the screen timer is up, and the screen turns off, the only way to turn it back on is with the home button or power button. If you want to have the power button end calls, then use the home button to turn the screen back on.

rtshoff

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just assumed it was the accelerometer that was turning the screen back on... The home button is on the touch screen on the n4... so that won't help my situation. Perhaps I can place my finger over the proximity sensor when using the speaker phone function to bring the screen back on? I give that a try sometime.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just assumed it was the accelerometer that was turning the screen back on... The home button is on the touch screen on the n4... so that won't help my situation. Perhaps I can place my finger over the proximity sensor when using the speaker phone function to bring the screen back on? I give that a try sometime.

Since you were posting in a Galaxy S3 forum, I assumed you were using an S3. :) Yes, covering the sensor might work. If it does, the answer might be as easy as turning the phone face down while on speakerphone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty