Can't see new pictures on SD card in file explorers

batlash

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Going to try posting this one more time in hopes that someone has an answer. I have a Galaxy S4 running version 4.2.2. On the phone itself, I can see, in the gallery, all of the pictures I've taken. I can see pictures transferred from my previous phone (a Razr) and the new Galaxy S4. I am using the native camera on the phone.

If I check the phone to see if the pictures are on the phone or in the cloud, they show as being on the device.

If I check the image properties of a picture, the phone reports the picture file location as "storage/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera/xxx" (with xxx being the file name).

On the phone, I can see the picture, share the picture, edit the picture, etc. Looking in the Gallery or Picasa settings, I can see that the picture is physically ON THE PHONE and supposedly in the folder mentioned above.

BUT, when I navigate to the "storage/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera" folder using ES Filer Explorer on the Phone, or with my PC via a USB connection, I can't locate any pictures except the old pictures that were transferred from the old Razr.

None of the pictures actually taken with the native camera on the Galaxy S4 show up in the folder, despite the fact that the phone reports that to be their physical location (when you check the image properties on the phone).
Any idea where they are or how to get them? I'm baffled.

I'd like to be able to copy these pictures to a hard drive for storage, but I can't find them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried unmounting the card, removing it, and inserting it into your computer? See if you can find the photos using the computer's file explorer.

batlash

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
No, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks. I'm curious as to why they don't show up in ES File Explorer on the phone, though. It just seems odd that the apps (Gallery and Picasa) can see the files, but nothing else seems to be able to.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I've seen problems described in these forums regarding external SD cards in Samsung devices. Corrupt cards, corrupt files, inability to see files, inability to play certain music files or movies ...

batlash

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I pulled the card, popped it in the card reader on the PC and... no pictures taken with the Galaxy! Every picture on the card is from my old Android Razr. Screen caps and downloaded images are on the card, but not pictures taken with the camera!

As I've mentioned, checking the properties of a photo taken with the camera reports that the image is stored at "storage/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera/xxx". But it's just not there. Not if I plug the phone into the PC. Not if I remove the card and plug the card into a card reader. Not if I browse the card ON THE PHONE with ES File Explorer.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-04-30.png

YET, if I look at the photos in Picasa and check to see if the pictures are on the phone or in the cloud, Picasa appears to indicate (as does the file path) that the picture is on the phone!! I'm just confused beyond words.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-10-16-12.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38