flashing a different rom

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. A few hours ago I flashed the latest cyanogenmod build and found that the WiFi does not work (others have had this problem). I am going to flash an earlier build but I just wondered if I needed to do anything in particular apart from remembering to wipe the system after. Do I need to create another back up even though I have my stock one?

Sorry if I sound stupid, I am new to rooting :(

Last edited by a moderator:

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: flashimg a different rom

As long as you have the backup from before you flashed first your good to go. Put it on your PC or ExtSd card so you don't erase it if you do a complete wipe.
Try out AOKP, that's a pretty nice one.
I was having issues with both Cm and Pacman but AOKP was smooth.
I usually do a format and wipe all the internal before changing roms.
I like to backup contacts through Google and apps through titanium backup and keep them on ExtSd. Its nice to have an sdcard with just your recovery rom, nandroid, app backups and roms, mods and gapps so it's all in one spot then just plug in and flash away.

Posted via TriForced Sprint GS4

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Eem not sure what some of that meant (like I said I'm pretty new to all this) but I definetly made a complete back using team win. I was quite surprised to be honest, I expected cyanogenmod to be has smooth a bug free as it gets due to its support and popularity. Where can in get the one you are refering to? May also give the 4.3 ROM a look

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site

What s4 do you have?
Get the paid version of Titanium Backups to backup/restore your apps, it will save you a lot of headaches.
When you make backups don't just keep them on your phones internal memory, your bound to make a mistake here and there and you don't want to lose the backups forever.
I move all my backups and roms and mods to my pc and keep copies of everything I would need on one 32g sd card.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

What s4 do you have?
Get the paid version of Titanium Backups to backup/restore your apps, it will save you a lot of headaches.
When you make backups don't just keep them on your phones internal memory, your bound to make a mistake here and there and you don't want to lose the backups forever.
I move all my backups and roms and mods to my pc and keep copies of everything I would need on one 32g sd card.

I have the galaxy s4 i9505 international version and I'm on Vodafone. That's a great price of advice,thanks. Is it as simple as copying and pasting the backup or does it have to be copied to my PC using a certain programme?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site

[ROM] AOKP [Nightlies] - xda-developers
AOKP link for international versions.
I just cut and paste to my pc, copy and paste to the sdcard. You can get an MD5 checker app to check the completed transfers to make sure sell the data matches so as not to worry about corrupted data.
When your flashing the original android projects with gapps packages, since your using twrp, when you load you new Rom to install you can select the tab that says 'Add more zips' or something to that effect and then choose your gapps package. Then install and it will install back to back so when you reboot everything's ready to go. Then you just log into Google to recover the store and your backed up contacts, re-download Titanium Backup from play store, start it and batch reinstall all the apps, you backed up. All set.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hi all. A few hours ago I flashed the latest cyanogenmod build and found that the WiFi does not work (others have had this problem). I am going to flash an earlier build but I just wondered if I needed to do anything in particular apart from remembering to wipe the system after. Do I need to create another back up even though I have my stock one?

Sorry if I sound stupid, I am new to rooting :(

Do you have a custom recovery like Clockwork Mod?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Eem not sure what some of that meant (like I said I'm pretty new to all this) but I definetly made a complete back using team win. I was quite surprised to be honest, I expected cyanogenmod to be has smooth a bug free as it gets due to its support and popularity. Where can in get the one you are refering to? May also give the 4.3 ROM a look

What s4 do you have?

There are different types of backups. Backups you make with apps like Titanium backup can allow you restore individual apps and/or data as needed. Other apps, like "my backup" also allow you back up personal data, like SMS text messages, calendar, contacts, playlists, etc (however most of us sync this online already). The backup you make in Recovery, such as Team Win (TWRP) or ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a full image of your phone from that point in time. You can always use it to restore your phone to a previous state, but you can't pull individual files and apps from it.

As mentioned, it's always a good idea to set the backup location to your SDcard, because these backups can be quite large, and even just one backup can cause you to run out of space on your internal storage. You may want to check that now to make sure you still have sufficient storage in your internal memory.

Also, in my opinion, CM gets it's reputation because it offers support for A LOT of devices, has a lot of great features added to AOSP, and is well supported in the dev community. Having said that, however, by aware that often the versions of CM available for any particular device may still be in "nightly" mode, meaning that bugs are still being worked out and updates will be frequent. If you're looking for a daily driver and don't plan on frequently flashing updates, you probably want to wait for stable versions to be made available. (NOTE: I have no idea what the status of CM is for the GS4, just making this comment in general).

Do you have a custom recovery like Clockwork Mod?

Yes, he said above he's using TWRP (at least that's how I interpreted it).

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

There are different types of backups. Backups you make with apps like Titanium backup can allow you restore individual apps and/or data as needed. Other apps, like "my backup" also allow you back up personal data, like SMS text messages, calendar, contacts, playlists, etc (however most of us sync this online already). The backup you make in Recovery, such as Team Win (TWRP) or ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is a full image of your phone from that point in time. You can always use it to restore your phone to a previous state, but you can't pull individual files and apps from it.

Yeah i do have TWRP. And i found out first hand the bugs you are talking about. I have restored to Touchwiz and im looking for a new ROM to flash as we speak. Any advice on what to try next?

As mentioned, it's always a good idea to set the backup location to your SDcard, because these backups can be quite large, and even just one backup can cause you to run out of space on your internal storage. You may want to check that now to make sure you still have sufficient storage in your internal memory.

Also, in my opinion, CM gets it's reputation because it offers support for A LOT of devices, has a lot of great features added to AOSP, and is well supported in the dev community. Having said that, however, by aware that often the versions of CM available for any particular device may still be in "nightly" mode, meaning that bugs are still being worked out and updates will be frequent. If you're looking for a daily driver and don't plan on frequently flashing updates, you probably want to wait for stable versions to be made available. (NOTE: I have no idea what the status of CM is for the GS4, just making this comment in general).

Yes, he said above he's using TWRP (at least that's how I interpreted it).