Understanding MF5 firmware

apel69

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I somehow was bit by the MF5 firmware and I am trying to fully understand what I can and can't do. I've read multiple posts with people having issues and unable to go back to MDL. I understand what is, a security upgrade in the bootloader that prevents flashing to an older firmware once the fuse has been tripped, but I want to find out what other limitations there are. I am currently running rooted stock firmware. I have no problems with my phone and therefore I really don't feel like experimenting after reading some of the issues others are having.

If i need to go back to unrooted stock am I able to flash the MF5 firmware?

Can I do a factory reset while rooted stock? I was able to do this on my S3.

Can I go to another ROM like cyanogenmod or AOSP and back to stock if need be?

Can I do a nandroid restore?

I've read that if you stayed stock and don't flash a custom ROM the fuse shouldn't have tripped and therefore you should be able to unroot. This is my case but I get the error SW REV. FAILED : fused : 2 . Binary : 1 which says otherwise.

Last edited:

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I somehow was bit by the MF5 firmware and I am trying to fully understand what I can and can't do. I've read multiple posts with people having issues and unable to go back to MDL. I understand what is, a security upgrade in the bootloader that prevents flashing to an older firmware once the fuse has been tripped, but I want to find out what other limitations there are. I am currently running rooted stock firmware. I have no problems with my phone and therefore I really don't feel like experimenting after reading some of the issues others are having.

If i need to go back to unrooted stock am I able to flash the MF5 firmware?

Can I do a factory reset while rooted stock? I was able to do this on my S3.

Can I go to another ROM like cyanogenmod or AOSP and back to stock if need be?

Can I do a nandroid restore?

I've read that if you stayed stock and don't flash a custom ROM the fuse shouldn't have tripped and therefore you should be able to unroot. This is my case but I get the error SW REV. FAILED : fused : 2 . Binary : 1 which says otherwise.

I think what you meant is MF3.

All the info to answer your questions is available in these forums:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-root-new-root-method-found-mf3-firmware.html

apel69

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It is MF5. My firmware originally was R970VXUAMDL but somewhere along the way it changed to R970VXUAMF5. I still haven't figured out how since I never flashed the latter. My phone is through US Cellular and these are the only two firmwares available. The MF3 looks like it is for AT&T. My phone is rooted using CF Auto Root with CWMR.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It is MF5. My firmware originally was R970VXUAMDL but somewhere along the way it changed to R970VXUAMF5. I still haven't figured out how since I never flashed the latter. My phone is through US Cellular and these are the only two firmwares available. The MF3 looks like it is for AT&T. My phone is rooted using CF Auto Root with CWMR.

Ok well sorry I know nothing about US Cellular!

Good reason to read the stickies in any forum before you post!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ur-carrier-when-posting-thread-read-here.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez