What the heck just happened to my phone...? :/

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been on the last official nightly build of AOKP (10/18) since it came out, and it's been working just fine. Last night, after I got home from work, I took my phone out of my pocket, set it down on my desk, and walked away for a second, and came back to see that my phone had rebooted itself. Seemed odd, but I just shrugged it off. Then I noticed that it would play the boot animation a little bit, then automatically reboot again. Now all it does is constantly reboot like this... I don't understand what the heck happened. It's been working fine, and I haven't done anything differently...

I've attempted to clear the cache and dalvik cache, then "dirty flash" the build of AOKP again, and it seems to start booting up, but after it finishes going through the "optimizing apps" bit, it just reboots back into what it was doing before.

I suppose if worse comes to worse, I'll have to completely wipe the phone and start from scratch, but that really sucks, because I leave for work very shortly and don't quite have enough time to get my phone set up the way I like it. :/

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking kernel related. Try chronic kernel for your carrier, swear I just read someone with the same issue and that fixed it.

Posted via Android Central App

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking kernel related. Try chronic kernel for your carrier, swear I just read someone with the same issue and that fixed it.

Hm. Just flashed the latest Chronic kernel, and now, after the boot animation plays, the screen just goes black, and nothing happens, and I get no response from anything.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I bit the bullet and wiped my phone, then I flashed AOKP again, and figured I'd also flash the Chronic kernel just to avoid this situation in the future. Turns out, though, that after flashing the Chronic kernel, my entire display was completely ****ed up, so I had to wipe everything AGAIN and flash AOKP a second time. So now I'm just back on the 10/18 build of AOKP, with the standard kernel. I've got enough restored to be able to basically get me through work today, but I'll have to spend tonight or tomorrow getting everything set up the way I had it.

I'm just concerned this could happen again. I really don't know what caused this. I was on the same build for the last 6-7 days without a single problem. I haven't flashed anything new, haven't even installed any new apps. Just worked fine for a week, then all of a sudden, wouldn't stop bootlooping.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. Make nandroids when your phones stable to help reduce your redoing everything.
Did you just flash it and go?
Try boot to recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, flash kernel, wipe cache and dalvik, fix permissions, reboot. (after making a backup). I do that every time jumping kernels. You may have Idk. Don't even know what carrier your on.
Just tossing out ideas for you to research.
Previous idea I read at aokp forum at XDA.
Hope it all goes well.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the last backup I had was about a month ago, so there's a bit of redoing I have to do, unfortunately.

Also, yeah, I wipe cache and dalvik before and after I flash anything. Not sure what "Fix Permissions" is, though. Is that done through TWRP? I've never done that, and I don't know how.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you format your system before flashing the rom?
I noticed the dev recommend that and then wiping data also. I usually do it like 4x to get everything erased. Make sure you have a working nandroid before completely erasing your internal memory and make sure the backups, roms and anything else you don't want to lose are on your Extsdcard and not the internal sdcard or you'll lose them.
What's your carrier?
What version of twrp are you using.?
To fix permissions if you need to is under the advanced tab.
The idea is it will make sure the permissions for apk's match and will reduce possible fc's is my understanding of it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo