How Much Room Is Really Left on the 16gb version?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That is enough space but... I had 12.5 on my Nexus 4 but I guess all those features and bloatware take up space. Kinda makes me want to wait for the 32 GB model before I even consider it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That's plenty of room for Apps though. Just get a 32GB MicroSD card for $25 for storage space.

Memory cards are no good if you goal is to carry apps on the internal storage. They no longer go to the SD card, sure you can find ways to get around it once root is available (actually it might be now) but then you are simply swapping partitions of memory and still not getting the most for your money.

techdad3

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I really want this S4 but 16 gigs is cutting it too close for me, I have an iphone4 with 32 gigs and a Nexus 7 with 32 gigs as well. All apps will be written to the Internal storage and I presently have about 8gigs of just apps on my Nexus 7, these are apps not music, pictures or movies. The external slot for the sd card is great and if I'm correct Samsung won't allow the apps to be moved from the Internal storage to the External sd card without rooting the phone. I'm going to have the phone for two yrs,don't want to worry about running out of room from Internal storage, guess I'll wait for the 32gig S4 if it ever happens.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My GS3 had around 12GB left when I got mine. Should be roughly the same. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I think the 4.2.2 and the new features take up more space. I saw somewhere where it is just under 10gb out of the box.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Memory cards are no good if you goal is to carry apps on the internal storage. They no longer go to the SD card, sure you can find ways to get around it once root is available (actually it might be now) but then you are simply swapping partitions of memory and still not getting the most for your money.

I wonder who has 9gb of apps let alone apps they are actually using lol. I do agree with your sentiment about moving stuff around but in regards to media. I like 1 large partition. Sure expandable memory is a great option to have but o prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My GS3 had around 12GB left when I got mine. Should be roughly the same. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Not sure if you are joking, but there is a lot less free space on the S4. If you like Gameloft or EA games, they average 1.5gb each after installation. The S4 16g is not a good device for gamers or other more data hungry app users. My 32gb S3 will need to last me longer than expected. Not looking good for 32g versions in the US, but hope I am wrong.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder who has 9gb of apps let alone apps they are actually using lol. I do agree with your sentiment about moving stuff around but in regards to media. I like 1 large partition. Sure expandable memory is a great option to have but o prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
Android apps are atoll smaller than iOS apps but I can easily have 10-15GB of apps on my phone. I feel you shouldn't be forced to choose apps you can and cannot carry. The carriers like it because it forces you to use data and makes you run over on your data plans.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Android apps are atoll smaller than iOS apps but I can easily have 10-15GB of apps on my phone. I feel you shouldn't be forced to choose apps you can and cannot carry. The carriers like it because it forces you to use data and makes you run over on your data plans.

I'm sure you realize just how atypical you are, at least with respect to the general smartphone populace. For the vast bulk of people, the 9GB left over is plenty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So I am. But there is nothing wrong with wanting, no demanding that a device in 2013 actually arrive with sufficient memory that in 2 months time you are screaming how little storage you have. IF, Google had bothered to keep the ability or directed the app developers to put the large app data section of their apps onto memory cards where available then I would likely be fine with 16GB. But they didn't, they don't and I won't accept so little storage.

I walked into the AT&T store ready and willing to port (2) lines over pay ETF to Verizon and be happy. My rep was sure he could order the 32GB but when he checked the system it wasn't available. They were told the pricing was $249 for 32GB but no date yet. So I am willing to wait, a bit longer, but not months longer.

I will say the typical user on Android Central may be fine with 16GB but go ask the HTC One crowd, is 32GB fine, is 64GB more preferable. Visit the XDA-Developers forum and see who many users there WANT a 32GB GS4. I am not alone, and am not atypical of the Android world, just the Android Central GS4 world.

MartinC95

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
First time post here.

I'm getting the GS4 in a couple of weeks time and will be my first Android smartphone from iOS, but I'm concerned this isn't enough storage for me. Whilst I plan on putting everything (Pictures, Movies, Music, Ringtones etc) on a 64GB MicroSD card, I don't know if just under 10GB of usable storage is high enough for just the apps. Here's why:

1) My current device iPhone 4 16GB uses roughly 8.9GB of space for apps which is just under the limit on the S4.
2) I like to keep just over 1GB of spare space on my device at all times for future content.
3) (Biggest concern) - I'm seeing others say that the "Misc. Files" on the internal storage can get up to 7GB for some users, leaving them just 2GB of space for apps to be downloaded.

My question is, how can I keep these "Miscellaneous Files" down to a minimum at all times and are any of these files straight out of the box after first boot? Never properly used Android, so I don't know how it all works yet. Plus, when I was in a store today looking at the GS4, the storage said 7.56GB available and only 3.4GB was left as nearly half of the used space was by the Miscellaneous Files.

Apologies if this is in the wrong topic by the way.

:)

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Both my SGSII and my SGS4 had about 12GB of internal storage out of the 16GB listed on the box. (The SGSII had about 13.5GB since it's running a custom ROM). Apparently, part of the memory is taken up by the OS partition and another small amount for apps and games. The rest is then saved for media and app data. The best thing about all/most Samsung devices is that they have external SD card slots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non