Galaxy s4 battery life

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
This is on moderate usage with most motion features turned off. I just don't have a need for them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368984543549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368984543549.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 136

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I just got my galaxy s4 quad core yesterday and I've been using it and I really do love the phone. However, one issue I'm having is battery life. It is absolutely shocking. As in the battery goes down one percent every 5 minutes, even if I'm just browsing the Web or reading messages. I don't know if this is normal or if I've got a faulty device that I should get replaced.
Here are some relevant images
Of what settings I have enabled
http://imgur.com/PKwPfQ9.png
And of my battery usage
http://imgur.com/3jAwRwt.png

If this is normal, is there anything I can do to help this issue?

Posted via Android Central App

If you are losing a percent every 5 minutes that's 8.3 hours of battery life.

That isn't too bad

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Apparently "Maps" shows on your battery drain % log whenever your phone queues your GPS. So when your weather widget is looking for location, if you search for let's say "Best Buy" and your Google Now is set up to give you directions to places you just searched, etc.

If you clear your map cache, it will won't do much for helping get "Maps" off your battery drain. It'll clear the preloaded map tiles that it saves to load quicker and that's about it.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Apparently "Maps" shows on your battery drain % log whenever your phone queues your GPS. So when your weather widget is looking for location, if you search for let's say "Best Buy" and your Google Now is set up to give you directions to places you just searched, etc.

If you clear your map cache, it will won't do much for helping get "Maps" off your battery drain. It'll clear the preloaded map tiles that it saves to load quicker and that's about it.

Thanks! I had a feeling this was the case, but wouldn't it also clear any saved locations that it would later have to look for again, consequently taking more battery?

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I had a feeling this was the case, but wouldn't it also clear any saved locations that it would later have to look for again, consequently taking more battery?

Didn't think of it that way, so more than likely you are right my friend. I'm not to keen on this stuff though so I'm not 100% sure.

DioramaMaker

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Didn't think of it that way, so more than likely you are right my friend. I'm not to keen on this stuff though so I'm not 100% sure.

Same here, it's just an assumption. I'm but an average phone user who likes to know the ins an outs of my device...I'm definitely not XDA or anything :p

Bruce Crair

May 21, 2013
Visit site
When I look at what's using the battery, it appears that Amazon's MP3 Player is using 40% of my CPU...but I don't have it running, and I can't see in the settings how I can get it to release memory...any ideas?

Raneciansamaiya

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Here's my battery uses with all the air features off and moderate to heavy use. I think I'm doing well. Took it off the charger at 5:30am and about 9:00pm is when I had to charge.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369358867463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369358867463.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 90
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369358881588.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369358881588.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 89

hornet42

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi this is my first Android smartphone and looking for a little help regarding battery life also. I see a lot of you getting 12+ hours of battery life and I'm not getting anywhere near that. Im not sure how to get a screen shot in this reply box (typing from my ipad haha please dont judge me) but the battery data said 8 1/2 hours of use with 15% power left. I used my phone a decent amount today setting some stuff up. Mostly 4G and had all those gesture features off. My biggest battery percentage can from a line item called "Android Systems" (65%). Looking at others screen shots and their percentage for that item isn't anywhere near there.

Does anyone know what I'm doing to get such a high Android Systems percentage? And is this the reason I'm getting less battery life then others?

Thanks!

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Dropping one percent for every 5 minutes of usage is pretty good. Stop worryin about battery usage and enjoy your new phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

Thats bad battery life. The phone should he able to sit for days with out touching it while connected to a network.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Wakelocks prevent the phonr from going into "deep sleep". I can go 8 hours not touching my phone and get 3 or 4% decrease when I return

Elvis Marmaduke

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have most all features on, power save off, auto bright, and I can still easily get around 1d of usage with pretty good amount of usage. Do you drain your battery below 3% ever?

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've got it installed on my note 2 (a modded version to work with Exynos). Last night I managed 7 hours of screen on time for the first time.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 now for about a week - great unit.

I've noticed what i consider higher than average battery drain, too. It seems that location based services are consuming a fair amount of battery.

For the first few days, (before I had things enabled, such as google now), major battery usage was coming up under "Google Services" (google now, latitude, perhaps?). For the last couple days, 'Maps' has been the primary battery drain. Now I haven't specifically started maps, and I've forced close it a few times, but I think that google now may be restarting the app, with it's "time to home" estimates.

From a full charge at 9am in the morning, using the display for about 1h23m according to battery usage, i'm now down to 67% after 9 hours. 27% used by screen, 63% used by maps. Not sure how to grab a screen shot, but in the maps usage, it shows "cpu total - 29s, stay awake, 2m8s, data sent, 15.16k, data received, 13.62k"

I may try to disable location based services to see if that reduces the drain.

Update - June 13, 2013, 12.45pm
Starting with 100% charged phone at 9.30am, disabled location services and have been on battery since. After 4.5 hours of basically standby usage, battery is at 93%. Still, the biggest battery consumer is "Maps" at 89%. Usage details for maps is blank, so not quite sure what that means. Screen is second, with 5% and 8m40s of on time. Brightness is set to auto, most other features are off (wifi: off, lte: on, smartstay:eek:n, all other S4 "smart" features: off)

Update: June 13, 2013 - 10.00pm
Even with location services turned off, as of 10pm, (13 hours unplugged) i was down to 47% battery and again, "maps" was the biggest battery consumer. I've disabled google now completely and phone is charging. I'll see how it makes out tomorrow.

Update: June 14, 12.01pm
Another update. Battery life seems to be better now, after turning off google now. In 2hours40m since being unplugged, it's used 5% battery, and the largest battery user is the screen at 40%, with 7 minutes of on time. The second user is Device Idle at 25%, with "time on" of 2h35m (basically since unplugged. Will update later today.

Last edited:

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
This phone is capable of great battery life with the right settings and a good network connection.

It can achieve 6-7 hours screen on time (most I've seen). A lot of people get between 4-5 hours of screen-on time, which is good but not great. Anything under 4 hours of screen on time and there's probably something going on to drain battery in the background.

dfogel72

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3 weeks now and I am having a horrible time with battery drain also. I went in to all my settings and disabled anything that may be draining the battery, stopped any apps that were automatically running (although honestly, since I spent $629 for a smart phone, I shouldn't have to stop the apps and widgets that automatically came with the phone and auto start every day considering they are one of the main reasons for having this phone in the first place) and I am still draining at an extremely high rate. I see some people are saying they can unplug their phones at 5:30 am and not have to recharge until 9pm, mine is no where to close to that. Standing idle, without me using it all other than to check the battery life, I was down to 50% battery within 3 hours. I played a game of Candy Crush and browsed Facebook for a total of 18 minutes, my battery life dropped to 28%. Is this normal?
I contacted my carrier who said this is an isolated incident (apparently not) and they sent me a new battery and I am still having the same issue.
I honestly think it's the device itself when I look at everyone else's screen shots on here because mine is so much different. I have Media Server 2%, Android System 3%, Maps 3%, Android OS 3%, Candy Crush Saga 4%, Voice Calls 4% and Screen 80%! I have the brightness down so low I can barely see it so this doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to enjoy my phone and all its features without having to go through all this every day.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3 weeks now and I am having a horrible time with battery drain also. I went in to all my settings and disabled anything that may be draining the battery, stopped any apps that were automatically running (although honestly, since I spent $629 for a smart phone, I shouldn't have to stop the apps and widgets that automatically came with the phone and auto start every day considering they are one of the main reasons for having this phone in the first place) and I am still draining at an extremely high rate. I see some people are saying they can unplug their phones at 5:30 am and not have to recharge until 9pm, mine is no where to close to that. Standing idle, without me using it all other than to check the battery life, I was down to 50% battery within 3 hours. I played a game of Candy Crush and browsed Facebook for a total of 18 minutes, my battery life dropped to 28%. Is this normal?
I contacted my carrier who said this is an isolated incident (apparently not) and they sent me a new battery and I am still having the same issue.
I honestly think it's the device itself when I look at everyone else's screen shots on here because mine is so much different. I have Media Server 2%, Android System 3%, Maps 3%, Android OS 3%, Candy Crush Saga 4%, Voice Calls 4% and Screen 80%! I have the brightness down so low I can barely see it so this doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to enjoy my phone and all its features without having to go through all this every day.

I would have them give u a new device and see if that fixes the problem. I hear ppl talk about battery issues but that's bad. Try a factory reset and if it doesn't work than try to warranty the device it might be bad.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.