Thinking of getting s4..

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My contract is up and I need a new phone I have a iPhone 4S and iPhone is just getting to plain and boring same crap since 3G anyways I've been reading about the s4 and yes it is a great phone but I can't seem to find many threads on what is wrong with it or any problems? Anyone who owns one that can give me some perspective. Thanks!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
A few things that I have seen people complaining about is the lack of the ability to move apps to sd, and a slight lag due to touch wiz animations. Other that that it seems to be a very solid phone

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forumsp

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Consumer reports voted the S4 best smartphone in the world right now right?
10 million sold... so gives you an idea how popular it is.

so i dont own one... i am shopping for one and the s4 and One is at the top of my list.
i dont mind the plastic after holding one... i'm just not a fan of the goofy looking touchwiz and not gonna spend that much on a GES4.
and all that touchwiz busyness of the UI (i'm coming from a Nexus 4 and pure android).
It doesnt wow me to run out and buy it, there are a ton of quad core large screen androids to choose from and i dont think any is super dominant.
some people say the touchwiz is getting tiring.
ios7 may be announced in a few weeks... maybe there will be enough changes to cause excitment.
if only they'd come out with a bigger 4.3-4.7" screen.

Still loving my N4 even if it's old now lol

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I just came from the 4s. One thing you might notice is the scrolling stutter. With the 4s you can just slide your thumb on web pages and it flies up. My S4 does not do that. I have not experienced the home button lag or the transition animation lag, but rolling thru apps and web pages does not seem as smooth as my 4s did. I switched from Touchwiz to Nova and it seems like it has helped a bit. Other than this noticeable scroll stutter, I have not had any issue, other than trying to get a few of the air features to work properly. And I don't care about that really. But I don't think I would go back. This phone is fantastic.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I came from a 4s also and my Nexus 4 is just a fast and smooth. a have a friend with a one and it's smooth. i kinda wonder if they purposely make the s4 move the way it does... i have nova launcher and you can change the experience/speed of how it does from page to page and you can slow it down. i dont particularly like it slowed down and set it to factory speed.

I just came from the 4s. One thing you might notice is the scrolling stutter. With the 4s you can just slide your thumb on web pages and it flies up. My S4 does not do that. I have not experienced the home button lag or the transition animation lag, but rolling thru apps and web pages does not seem as smooth as my 4s did. I switched from Touchwiz to Nova and it seems like it has helped a bit. Other than this noticeable scroll stutter, I have not had any issue, other than trying to get a few of the air features to work properly. And I don't care about that really. But I don't think I would go back. This phone is fantastic.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

One thing I like to add your browsing stutter. I had the same issue but when i switched to Chrome beta I no longer had stutter when it came to that.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You are gonna love it. Although android has become extremely smooth, the s4 isnt quite there yet. Dont get me wrong. The phone is blazing fast. The phone is faster but the 4s is snappier. What do i mean by that? I mean the s4 is way faster in terms of processing. So you will play games flawlessly. But for example browsing, you feel that tiny bit of extra responsiveness on the 4s because the OS prioritizes smoothness, given that apps dont run the background, they are just paused and also if you dont mind its plasticky feel, but lemme tell you, its probably the smartphone with the highest manufacturing cost so dont worry. Other than that, you are going to LOVE it. I have a question, do you ever encounter any lag on your iphone 4s?

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
A few things that I have seen people complaining about is the lack of the ability to move apps to sd, and a slight lag due to touch wiz animations. Other that that it seems to be a very solid phone

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forumsp

That happens on alot of phones. I think its just an android version.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

skiner5246

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My contract is up and I need a new phone I have a iPhone 4S and iPhone is just getting to plain and boring same crap since 3G anyways I've been reading about the s4 and yes it is a great phone but I can't seem to find many threads on what is wrong with it or any problems? Anyone who owns one that can give me some perspective. Thanks!

Here's the deal. The S4 has a lot of features. Arguably, too many. Some may say its a bad thing, others not so bad. I'm in the latter camp. I think the whole stuttering thing boils down to touch wiz, and carrier bloat. Honestly having owned once since late April, it's not that bad. AT&T released a OTA update that has solved a lot of the lag issues some people were talking about. Also, if you go with another launcher, that helps quite a bit also. The S4 is basically a mini computer with endless customizing abilities and tons of features. Is it as snappy as the 4s? No, but does the 4S have the feature-set the galaxy does? No. To sum it up. This phone is awesome! Do some research, look into some of the threads here for more information, then go into a store and put your hands on one. If your bored with the "apple-verse" IMO, the S4 will solve it for you. I can confidently say, it's the finest smartphone I've owned.
Good luck :)

Last edited:

jedizenmaster

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The s4 is pretty awesome I traded an htc one for it. The fact that it has wireless charging and fits well with my other samsung products is a win

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That happens on alot of phones. I think its just an android version.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

You are correct. Perhaps I should have better worded that any phone running above android 3.0 is not going to be able to transfer app to sd.;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Tele_Phone

May 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing I dont like is that there is no auto-correct in the stock keyboard but there are many others out there in the play store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Ah ya it seems like a great phone I've just always been an iOS guy but its getting old and ya sure the iPhone 5 screen is a bit bigger but not big enough IMO I need something bigger and the s4 seems to be in that spot I find the note 2 to be too wide.. I'm just going to be mad if ios7 is a big step up and the 5s or 6 whatever it is is a lot different from the 5 not like a 4- 4s

cessperience

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I was hesitant to get this S4 too since I'm an iOS user from the start. S4 is a good phone because it'll let you do a lot of things you can only do if your iPhone is jailbreaked. But I don't think I can completely let go of iOS especially the apps. I listen to music every time and the music android app sound quality is not that good compared to iOS. Also there's nothing like iOS Garage Band and VocaLive. I've been using iOS to create music. I'll probably just get an iPad soon but yeah no regrets with S4 overall.

Posted via Android Central App

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When I first switched over from iPhone 4 to S3 years back. It took some getting use to. If you are the kind of person that doesn't take change very well, then you either will hate it or love it. If you are happy with iPhone, I think there is no reason to switch. If you are looking to switch, I guess there is something you don't like. I now have S4 upgraded from S3. I love Android as platform. S3/S4 as hardware and I think it is really good Android phone. No, I probably won't go back to iPhone. IMO, iPhone UI is dated. I guess that is why iOS 7 will have new UI at least that is what I heard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty