Where is the numeric keypad?

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Just got the S4 a couple of weeks ago. Loving it but ran into an issue today. I use Fuelly to track my mileage. I filled up tonight and when I went to input the values, the numeric keypad on the Samsung keyboard didn't have a decimal point. I finally had to switch to the Swype keyboard since that has a full numeric keypad. I checked all the settings on the keyboards but couldn't find anything that gave me a decimal point on the Samsung keyboard. Am I missing something or is the Samsung keyboard that lame? I'm not a big fan of Swype either, so where can I get alternate keyboards?

Thanks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got the S4 a couple of weeks ago. Loving it but ran into an issue today. I use Fuelly to track my mileage. I filled up tonight and when I went to input the values, the numeric keypad on the Samsung keyboard didn't have a decimal point. I finally had to switch to the Swype keyboard since that has a full numeric keypad. I checked all the settings on the keyboards but couldn't find anything that gave me a decimal point on the Samsung keyboard. Am I missing something or is the Samsung keyboard that lame? I'm not a big fan of Swype either, so where can I get alternate keyboards?

Thanks.

Can't help you much with the stock Samsung keyboard, but SwiftKey is also a really good third party keyboard. It's actually my go-to keyboard. You can also use the Google Keyboard, which is what ships on Google devices.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

I agree with Kevin that Google is a good one too. Haven't used Samsung in a while. With Google, you would use the standard sentence period as your decimal. Probably even the same with Samsung's.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

Check screenshot.

I agree with Kevin that Google is a good one too. Haven't used Samsung in a while. With Google, you would use the standard sentence period as your decimal. Probably even the same with Samsung's.

Yes, that's true! :thumbup::D

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Attachments

• 1377145944665.jpg
    1377145944665.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 39

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. However that's not the keyboard that pops up. Since its purely a numeric entry for this program, I get a numeric keypad only (like a phone keypad). Normally this is fine as it has at least the decimal point and sometimes even math operators. However the Samsung keypad is just numbers, which is really weird.

Also, I don't see the Google keyboard at all, just Samsung and Swype. I guess this is an "enhancement" from ATT?

Anyhoo... I'll just find some other keyboards. Not a showstopper but strange none the less. Thanks for the help!

joebogey

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it's something in Fuelly, you might want to send feedback to the developer and see what they say. I use GasBuddy which comes with it's own numeric keypad or you can choose to use your default keyboards numeric keypad. When I click into the price fields it pulls up the numeric layout of the keyboard instead of the dialer pad.

Personally I've been a Swiftkey fan for a few years. They have both very good predictive typing as well as swiping. Also they just released cloud sync so you can have multiple devices contributing to a predictive learning pool as well as not losing any data if you need to factory reset, and is now on sale for $1.99 in the play store.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. However that's not the keyboard that pops up. Since its purely a numeric entry for this program, I get a numeric keypad only (like a phone keypad). Normally this is fine as it has at least the decimal point and sometimes even math operators. However the Samsung keypad is just numbers, which is really weird.

Also, I don't see the Google keyboard at all, just Samsung and Swype. I guess this is an "enhancement" from ATT?

Anyhoo... I'll just find some other keyboards. Not a showstopper but strange none the less. Thanks for the help!

I agree that you should email the developer about your concern.
As for Google keyboard, it is available on Play. Simply download, try it, and in language and input, make Google default.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
This is what I got from the Samsung keypad and what I get now (and have always gotten previously). Notice the blank keys on the Samsung keypad. It's a Samsung problem, not an app problem, but I just got another keypad so no worries. Strange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-22-07-47-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-22-07-47-57.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2013-08-22-07-46-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-22-07-46-55.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

The other way it can be done is on your calculator app. Take miles divided by gallons used.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Chris Phelan

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re your comment 8/22, "I just got another keypad so no worries" - did you mean another keypad app, or that the droid suddenly offered you a second one (with . key)? I'm having this problem too.

Danielofmo

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If you don't mind what did you do to correct this situation, because I'm having the same problem. My key pad has no dismal point like the first picture. What did you do to get it like the second one ?

Chuck Henry

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I surfed here looking for the same answer. Based on the other posts, I installed the Google Keyboard and sure enough that changed the numeric keyboard in the Fuelly app. However I'm torn because I liked the Samsung keyboard better everywhere else, and especially miss having a number row on top of my letters. I guess I have to pick my poison or switch back and forth every time I fill up. Bummer the Samsung keyboard has that glitch, it didn't on my Note 2.

Neil Hoskins2

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.
I haven't used Fuelly but having the same problem as a web developer. The problem is the html 5 'number' field which is supposed to allow only numbers. Apparently modern android devices assume this to mean only non decimal numbers!