SAMOLED and Black

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone know how much less battery uses if the pixels on screen are black as opposed to any other color since on AMOLED displays the black pixels don't get lit up

Posted via Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
An SAMOLED screen operates the same way as an AMOLED screen: the pixels do not light up for blacks meaning it uses less battery compared to other screens such as LCD.

...but to answer your question, there really shouldn't be much of a difference as SAMOLED screens have more vivid colors but they behave the same way for blacks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
An SAMOLED screen operates the same way as an AMOLED screen: the pixels do not light up for blacks meaning it uses less battery compared to other screens such as LCD.

...but to answer your question, there really shouldn't be much of a difference as SAMOLED screens have more vivid colors but they behave the same way for blacks.

Ok, I was asking because I got curious and did a little test with my S4. First I used the phone as I normally would and it was about 3 and a half minutes before the battery dropped one percent, then I switched my background to all black and let the phone sit there and it was about 7 and a half minutes before it went down one percent.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thought it was a pretty big difference so now I have an all black wallpaper, it actually looks a lot better because the app icons are a lot easier to see.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But I like changing my wallpaper constantly! :(

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Yeah, not sure how much it'll save you because I doubt anybody just stays at their home screen for extended periods of time. I just refer the black background

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, not sure how much it'll save you because I doubt anybody just stays at their home screen for extended periods of time. I just refer the black background

I agree, I've done similar tests in the past and found similar results. It's more useful in things like the web browser where people may spend more time onscreen.

Sent from my GT-N7100

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I've done similar tests in the past and found similar results. It's more useful in things like the web browser where people may spend more time onscreen.

Sent from my GT-N7100

That's what I've noticed too. :thumbup::)

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Interesting conversation. It highlights the diversity among users, and the ability of these phones to accommodate that diversity. I just changed my live wallpaper to an autumn scene with pretty colors, animated trees and water, and falling leaves when I shake the phone. Chews up mondo battery I'm sure, but for my tastes, that's what I want to use my battery for. Fun world, this Land of Android! :D

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting conversation. It highlights the diversity among users, and the ability of these phones to accommodate that diversity. I just changed my live wallpaper to an autumn scene with pretty colors, animated trees and water, and falling leaves when I shake the phone. Chews up mondo battery I'm sure, but for my tastes, that's what I want to use my battery for. Fun world, this Land of Android! :D

Indeed!!!
**Saying it a la Teal'c from STARGATE SG1** :thumbup::cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress