A question about warranty?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Recently, my SD card gave way after 6 months of purchase. I went back to the shop but they said warranty was for the SD was only 6 months. I then called their main shop and they said the warranty was only for 2 months. After that, I confronted them about it since they didn't write anything about 6 months warranty on the receipt and the casing of the SD card says 5 years. Long story short, they got it fixed in 2 weeks.

Here's my question, when I went to collect, I asked the staff if the warranty is renewed or how does it work? She said no, we've already replaced it so the warranty is void. I then asked if I could send it back to the company that made the SD card and they said no. She said the actual warranty is only 2 months. Considering I did get a new SD card, I didn't want to confront them again about the whole 5 years thing. But what I was curious to know is whether that's true. Does your warranty become void once you send anything back for a claim? It might be useful to know for the future.

chustle925

May 9, 2013
Visit site
No, just because you use your warranty, that doesn't make it void. I don't believe it starts over, I think it still starts from original purchase date. Where did you buy this card?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
No, just because you use your warranty, that doesn't make it void. I don't believe it starts over, I think it still starts from original purchase date. Where did you buy this card?

I got the phone and the card from a shop that sells phones. They had a different name in their receipt but at the shop the sign said Samsung. Maybe a company under Samsung?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the package said 5 years then the warranty is 5 years regardless of the number of replacements. This assumes that you are in the usa though. Other countries may have different laws

Also, even though they have a Samsung sign, it doesn't mean that they are Samsung or even directly affiliated with Samsung. They could simply be a retailer.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
If the package said 5 years then the warranty is 5 years regardless of the number of replacements. This assumes that you are in the usa though. Other countries may have different laws

Also, even though they have a Samsung sign, it doesn't mean that they are Samsung or even directly affiliated with Samsung. They could simply be a retailer.

I'm not in US. These are based on laws? I thought it depended on the company or there was some universal rule to it. I'd just like to be prepared next time, I'll ask a lawyer friend. Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in US. These are based on laws? I thought it depended on the company or there was some universal rule to it. I'd just like to be prepared next time, I'll ask a lawyer friend. Thanks

I was referring to consumer protection laws. If a company promises something like warranty but doesn't honor it fully then you can file a complaint and with enough complaints, the government may investigate. Also, sometimes just filling a complaint will get the company to act. But different countries have different levels of consumer protection.

Also, it depends on what was written in the warranty terms. If it states one replacement, then that is what you get.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to consumer protection laws. If a company promises something like warranty but doesn't honor it fully then you can file a complaint and with enough complaints, the government may investigate. Also, sometimes just filling a complaint will get the company to act. But different countries have different levels of consumer protection.

Also, it depends on what was written in the warranty terms. If it states one replacement, then that is what you get.

Good to know! I'll be lock and loaded for the next one. Thank you.