Why can I put music files on storage but not on SD card?

Chamon19

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I can put music files on storage but not on SD card

Alright, so I have an SD card in my Samsung Galaxy S4, I had put maybe 10 songs on it ages ago on this phone by dragging and dropping from iTunes into it's SD card file. Right now, I'm trying to do the same thing. I'm able to drag and drop them onto my storage device, but if I try to drop it onto my SD card it says I need to unlock my device and reconnect the USB. Occasionally I've been able to sneak one into dropping into the SD card though. It's been inconsistent. I have the screen set to stay on for 10 minutes and it shows that it's connected as a media device. I can maybe fit half of my music onto the device but I really need the storage for the rest of my music and of course I still need room for apps and what not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I can put music files on storage but not on SD card

Are you doing this in the phone, or with the phone connected to a computer? The phone, since version 4.3, treats the SD card as part of the file system, not as an external storage device, so the app writing a file to a folder needs permission to write to that folder (the same as internal storage). If you create a folder with one app (or it was there when you updated to 4.3) and try to put a file into it with another app, it can't. The app putting the file in the folder has to have created the folder.

If you want to go back to the old way, root the phone and run NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root).

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I gave up on using the phone's file system.

I plug in a USB Cable and move files around with my computer. It is a lot faster and easier! I can make a backup of the whole SD Card on my computer when I am through!

Chamon19

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

I am putting them onto the phone from my Mac using a USB cable. I put all of them onto the phone and it's taken up most of my phone space. Is there a way to transfer the music from the device to the SD card?

Coach88

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

I feel your pain... same problem here! If i find a solution, i'll post here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Coach88

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Rukbat's theory makes sense... This worked for me! I bought a new SD card, inserted in my S4 and created a new folder that i called "music". Then, i opened the music folder from my device, selected an album and selected "move to" from the menu and pointed it to the music folder on the SD card. I went back to the music player and could see and play the album. I will be moving all of my albums to that location and free up space on my device! Hope it works for you too!

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty