A bit discouraged

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello

Due to budget issues, I bought an S4 in February. It was a jump back into Android from WP because I wanted Lollipop.

But seeing how the update spreads and how my carrier has had the S5 updated for quite a while but still can't even tell me IF they'll have the update (what's with that sort of secrecy from carriers any way?) I'm pretty discouraged. I'm afraid that my phone will be abandonned even if I've had it for only two months.

Am I right or is this not hopeless? I know that I can always get a custom OS if they do abandon it (which I will do). But I'd prefer sticking with official ROMs.

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Carriers are usually slower in updating, but the S4 will receive it. Question is if it will happen before you can get a new phone. Like you say, you can always root and flash the newest version, but still...

I mean, look at T-Mo... Note 4 still hasn't been updated, and just recently moved into -carrier testing- phase. And the update for the Note 4 has been out for a while for others.

The S4, IIRC, also has an update available for international models I think, so it's only a matter of time.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I do hope you're right (although I don't understand what you mean when you say "Question is if it will happen before you can get a new phone.").

As of now I regret my choice (although one of my friends has the Nexus 5 and since the Lollipop OTA update his camera doesn't work so maybe it's not all bad :p )

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I, honestly, fear the Lollipop update. More things I personally don't like (like lockscreen notifications, the lack of lockscreen widgets or proper music controls, and other stuff), but especially afraid of all the horror stories I keep reading on the forums. One thing is to read them from non-Nexus phones, where manufacturers add their stuff and can break Google's code, but another is to hear from bricked Nexus 7s or borked Nexus 6s!!! I mean, they're the newest devices and they're failing with the update!?

That being said, the update hit my tablet and nothing bad happened (so far, besides the things I don't like about LP).

What I meant is that if the update comes to your phone when you can upgrade again or when your phone is ready for an upgrade itself if you feel like it. Sometimes carriers take too long to update. I remember when I had the S2 it took them over a year to update to JellyBean! By that time I already had another phone...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non