Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Got my wireless charging s-view flip cover!

Got it at my local Verizon store. Its slightly thicker than the non wireless back any questions ask away!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-27-2014 at 07:26 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: got my wireless charging s-view flip cover!

Quote Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
    Got it at my local Verizon store. Its slightly thicker than the non wireless back any questions ask away!
    Sounds interesting!
    How about posting a series of pictures from all angles?
    atg284 likes this.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Got my wireless charging s-view flip cover!

How's the charging? Any faster or slower

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Charging seems quick.. about 1-minute=1-percent.

Here are some photos:

Thanked by 13:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    dwd3885, tkpc621, dakini03 and 1 others like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I had the same s-view non wireless charger prior and this back is definitely thicker.

Also, the cover keeps closed whereas the non-wireless s-view cover had a problem with the front flap keeping shut.

As for the charging dock, it blinks green while charging.. Kind of don't like that.
    Thanked by:
    Jon44 

So charging is as fast as the oe charger that came with the phone? If so that's great. Though it was slower though.
    Any chance to do like a 10 or 20 min test, checking start time and percent then an ending? It would be great to not mess with the flap any more.

Thanks for the time.

Nice.

Is it available in just a standard back cover?

SHIFT_pro s5
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by JS_racer View Post
    So charging is as fast as the oe charger that came with the phone? If so that's great. Though it was slower though.
    Any chance to do like a 10 or 20 min test, checking start time and percent then an ending? It would be great to not mess with the flap any more.

Thanks for the time.
    It's slower than the OEM USB 3.0 charging cable + 2amp charger.

But it's on par with the standard microUSB cable + 2amp charger that I had from my older Samsung Note 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Nice.

Is it available in just a standard back cover?

SHIFT_pro s5
    Not yet... But i'll get that for sure, even though I don't think it will fit with my cases.

This is how I see wireless chargers.

For Free I can, Charge Faster with USB 3.0, Have some mobility while charging, and a choice of any case I want for my phone.
    But for about $120-$130 i get, Slower Charging, No Mobility while charging, and am forced to use a specific case.

Can anyone explain to me what the upside of spending the money for one of these is?
    I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand why I should buy this product.
    Thanked by:
    carpetsharkz and bassplayrguy like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDynamicz View Post

For Free I can, Charge Faster with USB 3.0, Have some mobility while charging, and a choice of any case I want for my phone.
    But for about $120-$130 i get, Slower Charging, No Mobility while charging, and am forced to use a specific case.

Can anyone explain to me what the upside of spending the money for one of these is?
    I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand why I should buy this product.
    I work in an office, and use my phone a lot. I can kill my phones battery in the course of a day. After using the phone, I can put it on the charging base, and it will continually 'top off'. To top it off, the S5 has that USB flap--which I really hate. I actually like the s-view cover, so having wireless charging is a big bonus for me. Also, I didn't need the Samsung Qi charging base. I actually have a few that I spent $15 bucks on each. I spent $90 today for both units, which is not a big deal.... but YMMV.

Obviously wireless charging does not appeal to everyone, but after having it on my LG Gpro, I saw how valuable it was for my workday.

I have several other Qi chargers that I put around the house including the car, and I never have to mess with that USB flap again!
    Thanked by:
    mcm180 likes this.

I wonder how long the phone can keep its IP67 rating after opening and closing the USB door during the phone's lifetime.

Nice...VERY NICE, gotta get one of these for my Note3.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 04-27-2014 at 10:08 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

correction on the blinking LED while charging using the Samsung charging pad.

It stays a solid color when charging when using the Samsung 2amp travel charger and cable.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

I have decided to wait for the charging back cover without the s-view, which is what I had for my S4. Wireless charging is not for everyone, but I have used it since 2010 on my Palm Pre and I love it. Its so easy to just set it down for a quick top up or overnight for a full charge. It has never mattered to me that it is somewhat slower.

I had the S-View for the S4 also and ended up only using it while traveling,Since I dont travel that much I am going to just skip it this time around. My wife, OTOH, got the S4 as a hand me down, loves the S-View and doesn't care for the wireless charging. So YMMV is the correct answer.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

YMMV = Your Momma Might Vomit?
    no seriously, what the hell is YMMV???

Your Mileage May Vary - ie, everyone's experience is different

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Does anyone know if the charging back plate will work with other cases? The touch stone charger is something I miss from my old Palm Pre days

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I work in an office, and use my phone a lot. I can kill my phones battery in the course of a day. After using the phone, I can put it on the charging base, and it will continually 'top off'. To top it off, the S5 has that USB flap--which I really hate. I actually like the s-view cover, so having wireless charging is a big bonus for me. Also, I didn't need the Samsung Qi charging base. I actually have a few that I spent $15 bucks on each. I spent $90 today for both units, which is not a big deal.... but YMMV.

Obviously wireless charging does not appeal to everyone, but after having it on my LG Gpro, I saw how valuable it was for my workday.

I have several other Qi chargers that I put around the house including the car, and I never have to mess with that USB flap again!
    So you can't charge with a A/C plug or a USB cable to a computer to continually "top off"?

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is my thought process. Don't want to use a cable to charge but the wiress charging pad has to be plugged in. To each his (or her) own i guess.

I personally think the flip cover case is just plain awful. So you have to flip the front cover back to make a "normal" (without hands free) call???
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Carry my phone in a case and belt clip.
    I don't work in a office so it is of no good to me for a charging system like that.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

No, you can swipe the front window to answer calls and leave the flap closed.

Global Posts
    4,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No, you can swipe the front window to answer calls and leave the flap closed.
    Cool. What about taking photos?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    So you can't charge with a A/C plug or a USB cable to a computer to continually "top off"?
    I personally cant stand that usb flap. Of course I can plug in the phone manually. I see wireless charging as one of those minor conveniences that adds up over time. My car has one of those new keyless systems where I can open the doors and start the car without ever having to touch my car key. I like it so much that I doubt ill buy another car without this feature now.

Again YMMV
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Cool. What about taking photos?
    Yes, you can start the camera app and take a photo without ever opening the flap.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    Does anyone know if the charging back plate will work with other cases? The touch stone charger is something I miss from my old Palm Pre days

@ibcop, yes, of course you can, but its very convenient to walk into the office, set the phone down and have it be charging with no further action required. So too to pick it up and walk out and not have to deal with cables or lil doors, etc.
    @dusty the charging back is definitely thicker than the standard back. On my S4, sufficiently so that it would not fit in an Otterbox case. You may want to wait for them to appear in retail stores to check a particular case. The palm charger was a different standard than the QI one is use by Samsung, I implanted a Palm coil into a Samsung back cover a few years ago on my S3, but have since moved to the more modern standard. I miss the magnets that would hold the Palm on the touchstone.
    kjb92071 and STARGATE like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast